Sam Darnold out with Mono... probably a few weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wah, Sep 12, 2019.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think everything you say makes perfect sense, and in particular I would be shocked if they didn't have him in a flak jacket when he first comes back. A possible spleen injury is nothing to mess around with.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

well at least he can attend meetings and be with the team lol

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that this news concerns a little? Even with Sam being a professional athlete, 1 week sounds a little short to be over mono. I'm not concerned about him spreading it, although that is a consideration, but more concerned that Sam may be trying to be "tough," ignoring what his body and the doctors have told him and is trying to rush back too soon. If he truly is better then it's great news, but it just seems very quick to me.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If he’s back for the Eagles game that will give him 4 weeks out, and probably 3 weeks without practice. That doesn’t seem unreasonable.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

He said on the talk show yesterday that he has been cleared by his doctors to go back to the locker room and they are aiming for a week 5 return

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not really. it will be like a month off in total.

were just talking a 20 year old dude with mono here. He's not on his death bed. Although I can see why you are wondering cause of all the dramatics on here saying he was gonna be out for the season lol

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I’m going to go ahead and trust the medical team employed by a billion dollar operation on this one.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Especially a billion dollar organization that doesn't want to get sued for everything.

Sam said he was feeling sick in week 1, my guess is he's had mono in the preseason and thought it was just a cold.

dawinner127 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

exactly. too many non doctors here are going off stuff that a random doctor says about a high school kid where they play it safe. sam has a whole medical staff monitoring him all the time. it's not a kid who can't go to the doctor more then once a week. I'm sure he's having his spleen size checked daily to see how the swelling goes.

11. GasedAndConfused

Originally he thought he had strep throat. that's when he left the team. before that he said Saturday night before opening week he had cold sweats and a fever.

NCJetsfan and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

You're right, I forgot he said that. He probably got it like week 3 or 4 of preseason, which puts him having it for 4-5 weeks by the time week 5 rolls around.

NCJetsfan and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

sounds about right. poor guy. not sure how he even got it. isn't he dating mccowns daughter? and he's not the party type either.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

There was that one time Gase facetimed Sam and he was shirtless in a hotel room..

15. HomeoftheJets

I know the Mets are a baseball team so they're 10 times worse, but they're notorious for rushing players back. So it's possible for a billion dollar operation to do that. And considering our coaching staff is psycho and somehow may already be on the hot seat, I can't completely trust them.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I trust them too. I didn't say that I didn't. It's just that the way it reads, there is no mention of the medical team having cleared Sam to return to the Jets facilities. With the Jets, I've learned not to assume anything.

17. FJF

Rushing someone back with tissue injury isn’t quite the same as bringing someone back to the facility after an illness. You’re bringing the health of more than one employee into play.

18. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Sam just went to the podium and talked to the media. I think you can watch a replay here

19. HomeoftheJets

I'm not talking about bringing Sam back to the facility too soon, I'm talking about putting him in a game too soon.

20. FJF

Still, this is holding him out because it could be life threatening. I don’t know how anyone could honestly be a fan of the team and also believe they hire people that would intentionally put someone’s life in legit jeopardy for their own careers. Not be dramatic, I really can’t see how both feelings can exist in a person.