Who should the Jets sign to back up Falk if Siemian is going to be out for any length of time?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Sep 17, 2019.

?

Should the Jets sign a QB short term to backup Falk? If so, who?

1. Brock Osweiler

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Davis Webb

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. Cody Kessler

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. Sam Bradford

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. Other

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right now, Falk is the only QB on the Jets' roster who can play. Siemian supposedly had an MRI this morning, but I would be surprised if he's able to play again any time soon. I'm happy with Falk starting for now, and would be even if Siemian weren't injured. I never want to see Siemian on the field again for the Jets. He was awful...no fire, intensity, or leadership. He was a total cipher.

The Jets need to sign a QB in case the unthinkable happens and Falk gets injured. I don't want to see the Jets endanger Sam by trying to rush him back onto the field if Falk does get injured (and behind the Jets' OL that's entirely possible, if not likely).

Ralph Vacchiano wrote an article on SNY with names of potential QBs the Jets could sign.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/with-t...to-fill-in-while-sam-darnold-is-out/310776998

Vacchiano listed Brock Osweiler, Davis Webb, Cody Kessler, Sam Bradford and Jay Cutler. I wouldn't even consider Cutler due to age, not having played in 2 years and he's awful. For similar reasons, I wouldn't consider Colin Kaepernick. I almost wouldn't consider Sam Bradford. Would you sign a QB, or just hope that Falk can stay healthy until Sam is ready to come back. If so, who would you sign?

2. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Bring back Hackeberg or Petty. Or have Macagnan play QB and deal with the sh*tty OL he ignored.

3. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

We have to sign a qb 100% maybe 2 the way this line is blocking. Davis Webb already knows the offense so it’s probably gonna be him

FJF likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Why isn't Kaepernick on your list? He's been working out 5 days a week for 3 year straight. He's ready!

5. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Siemian officially out for the year. Should sign Webb as the backup. No point in signing a starter type with Sam coming back in a few weeks. The season is effectively over anyway.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Just bring in kaepernick......let's turn this into a COMPLETE dumpster fire.

7. NCJetsfan

Webb may know the offense, but he's awful. He's worse than Siemian. Osweiler knows the offense too, and while not that good, he's light years better than Webb.

dmarz45 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry that Siemian is hurt, but glad he's gone for the year. He sucks, and he was yet another horrible FA signing by Mac.

9. NCJetsfan

Based on your comments in another thread, I know that you're joking. Three years ago, I would have had no problem with signing Kaepernick, but not now.

10. NCJetsfan

I like your idea of playing Mac behind the OL he put together. I'd love to see his ass get crushed by some opposing DL/OLBs because of his sorry half-assed attempts to put together an OL. You can't even label his efforts as "building" an OL. I'm sorry that I ever defended or liked that POS dumbass.

nyjetsmets89 likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sam Bradford just tore an acl voting for himself in this poll

K'OB, MoWilkBeast, Acad23 and 10 others like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Osweiler is the most likely candidate.
    He knows the offense, knows Gase.
    Won't cost much , and can hold the clipboard after Darnold returns.
    I would expect Faulk to be released and re-signed to the practice squad at that time.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Webb would be my first choice since he knows Gase's current offense, and won't cause any controversy. Osweiler would be my next choice because he knows Gase's offensive philosophy and could pick up the current playbook quickly. I don't think he'd cause any threat to Darnold, but I actually like Falk better than him and won't want to see Falk replaced by a loser like Osweiler unless it becomes apparent that Falk's decent play last night was an illusion and he can't play at that level. I believe that he actually CAN run this team's offense efficiently, assuming the OL doesn't get him killed and Gase gets his head out of his ass. I see nothing to be gained in any of the other options.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

though i liked the bradford jokes, i would probably go with someone like him

We need someone smart and experienced so they can at least be useful in this time and maybe going forward

Getting another developmental guy (e.g., Webb) doesn't make sense to me

15. mute

mute Well-Known Member

just use Bilal Powell.

FJF likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I liked this post because of your rationale, not because I like Webb. Webb is yet another QB I never want to see on the field for the Jets (joining Siemian, Fitzpatrick, McCown, and Sanchez). IMO he would be a wasted roster spot. Even though he may know the offense a little, he has zero leadership ability, no fire, and couldn't execute what he knew in preseason. I think it has to be Osweiler. He's the best of the lot and knows Gase's sytem and terminology. As you said, it would take him no time to get up to speed. I totally agree that Falk should continue to start even if Osweiler is signed, just to develop him. He could be our backup QB of the future.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The best option qb available. Just run the option.

18. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

David Fales has a history with crazy eyes both in Chicago and in Miami. He supposedly had a good preseason with the Lions but didn't make the final cut. I'd bring him in for this week only and if Sam really is ready to go for week 5 then find someone else so they have 2 weeks in the system and can be the 3rd QB until they're ready to take over as #2 and move Falk back to the practice squad.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This is what I would do if I am the Jets management:

1. Place Sam on IR
    2. Start the fire sale on the some of the expensive defensive pieces (i.e. Leonard Williams) and get as many day 2 picks as possible. (I think Jamal Adams is the only one who will command day 1 pick in the entire Jets roster.)
    3. Sign Mike Macc and put him in as the starting QB. He had better break his fucking leg or he's playing.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

A veteran would be nice. Osweiler makes sense. Someone like that. Sam still needs a veteran back-up when he returns. Doubt they will go with Falk in that role. Maybe they will if he plays great. We will see.