NY Jets 2020 draft thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsUK, Sep 17, 2019.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

So with the season done after week 2 its time to turn our attention to the only thing the Jets ever 'win' and that's round 1 of the NFL draft

This would be a fantastic year for the Jets to get a top 2 pick (which certainly looks possible) as there are two highly regarded QB prospects coming out that we could likely get a lot for - Tua and Justin Herbert - I am happy to stick with Sam for the time being so it would certainly be a trade down for me.

Anyone you are particularly excited about?

jilozzo likes this.
  2. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Jerry Jeudy will be a great Wide Receiver in the NFL. He won last seasons Biletnikoff Award for the "most outstanding receiver in college football" and he has started this season in a similar vein and thats on a Bama team packed with talent at Wide Receiver. Not overly tall at 6ft 1 but a great route runner with great hands who is a handful for any defence.

I think it all depends on where we pick because we could certainly use O/Line and CB help. A high draft pick and a trade down would be ideal but these things rarely work out that way for us.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

OL, WR, Edge, and CB will be our biggest needs going into the offseason. Ideally, we pick high enough that we can trade down and get at least another 2nd rounder in 2020.

We'll need at least a new LT and C on the OL next year. Tyler Biadasz looks like the top C prospect, so a team might take him in round 1. Walker Little and Andrew Thomas look like the top OT prospects, but as I mention below, I'm taking a WR in round 1. Tristan Wirfs might be an OT who will be available in round 2. I've read that he's mainly played RT at Iowa, but has played LT at times.

We need a game changing WR. I know Jeudy is considered the top WR prospect on many sites, but if we can't land him, I want Tee Higgins. Guy is great at catching contested throws, has good speed, and can be a great red zone threat. I know addressing the OL is a high priority, but I feel like there's a good chance we can land a blue chip WR in round 1 and get a very good OL prospect in round 2(preferably 2 with a trade down :D).

I'd like to get an Edge prospect in round 3 or 4. Maybe Jonathan Garvin will be available then? IDK. If we go CB in round or 4, maybe we land Jaylon Johnson, Lavert Hill, Darnay Holmes, or someone else.

Bottom line is it will take more than one offseason to clean up the mess Maccagnan left behind.

#3 CotcheryFan, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

just copy and paste every jet pre-draft need list from most of the past 20 years and your good.

except for QB, me thinks.

kevda5n9ne, jago, CBG and 2 others like this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

feels like OL WR CB and edge have been needs for the past 10 seasons

6. jilozzo

seriously folks - if this douglas boy sticks around we better get used to the boring OL picks early and often. a team can rebuild 2/5th's to 3/5th's of their OL in 1 draft so get ready.

it will be imperative that the jets have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds next april. absolutely imperative.

this hangover from maccagnan and idzik is a doozy.

7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

#TankForThomas

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I think we get a top 5 pick and go for Andrew Thomas or Jerry Jeudy depending on which is available (possibly Chase Young)

9. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

If we can get a top WR prospect, I'm all in, otherwise every pick should be OL. Pretty much what we've needed every year.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Looking to rebuild the OL, a waaay-too-early mock:

1st round: Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia
    2nd round: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn

3rd round: Solomon Kindley, OG, Georgia
    3rd round alt. pick: Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
    3rd round alt. pick: Tylan Wallace, WR, Okla. St.

4th round: Cesar Ruiz, OG, Michigan
    5th round: Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

#10 joe, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Someone should post a list of FA linemen who will be available , I have faith in Joe Douglas ----> I hope this guy is the real deal

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

CBG likes this.
  13. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Everything depends on where we will end up picking. If we're in the top 5, we will have a big decision as we will have the choice between trading down to a QB needy team, or picking a stud WR (Jeudy), Stud tackle (Thomas), Stud Edge (Chase Young). It is still very early obviously

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

This will be the biggest challenge for us in 2020 draft. Particularly & especially if Andrew Thomas LT Georgia is available. Not sure how we pass on him, unless its the "offer we can't refuse". I'd trade down no matter what else. As good as Jeudy is, - Sam Danold cant throw to him while he is lying on his back.

JohnnyJet and grkmanga31 like this.
  15. jilozzo

we better get our 2020 draft order thread ready to go.

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Hopefully by that time we'll have a better idea, if there is an early pick, will the Jets need a quarterback themselves.

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If we're in the top of the draft then it's gotta be Jeudy or Young, no doubt. Then picks 2-7 go OL

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, I think it would be a HUGE mistake to go WR in round 1. It doesn't matter how good he is if Sam doesn't have time to get him the ball, or worse yet, if Sam gets injured. The #1 priority has to be keeping Sam upright and healthy. Then, and only then, can they start thinking about someone for him to throw the ball to. We need a strong OL to protect Sam and open holes for Bell much, MUCH more than we need a stud or game-changing WR.

Edge prospects in round 3 or 4 usually don't amount to much.

JohnnyJet and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  19. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

My hope is we grab a stud left tackle and finally be secure there for the first time in years. Cornerback is definitely our second biggest need and having a lockdown corner is also important. Then I would say pass rush as its obviously needed but being so bad at the corner position, I would rank corner more important all else being equal. Lastly receiver, none of our current receivers we drafted by us with the exception of Enunwa and hes likely gone, good receivers can be had in the middle rounds I've noticed for the past few years.

This of course assuming we don't take care of these positions in free agency, which some will get addressed.

20. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d like to see Chuma get a chance sooner than later. Maybe just maybe we’d get lucky and he can be our answer at LT. That would be beyond huge and give us the opportunity to take advantage of what looks to be an extremely talented WR class.

Defensive needs are going to have to be filled with other resources. First round pick needs to be used on either a LT prospect or stud WR prospect.

J-Raw24 likes this.