Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the play call where Falk hit a WIDE OPEN Bellamy in stride? How is that a bad call? that was a great call, a great play design.

If Bellamy does his job and catches the damn thing maybe the Jets get some points. Maybe not, but it keeps Cleveland off the field completely so you don't even have to punt

dawinner127 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Gase going for it on the 4th down. My problem is with him throwing it on 3rd down before. Falk is your 3rd string QB. LeVeon is a top 5 back in the league - Give him the damn ball on 3rd and 2.

That's two weeks in a row we had 3rd and short and he threw it both times where we went for it on 4th. Doesnt make sense to me.

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Andy_M like this.
  3. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I think hiring him is a fireable offense

4. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Gase already not a great coach, is also hamstrung by an offensive line that has to be either the worst, or one of the worst units, in the league, and not having his starter out there. Obviously, this does not explain his playcalling being trash, but it's hard to imagine many coaches being able to do well given the circumstances.

But, I want to remind everyone that Gase was a slight upgrade over Bowles, but was never anything more than that. Chris Johnson royally screwed up by getting Gase and if the product on the field doesn't get any better, and we go say 3-13 or 4-12, hard to imagine Gase could get called back.

I've said in previous posts that Jets fans will not give this guy the grace period other HC's with a winning pedigree or an ex coordinator gets. Gase did zilch in Miami, and hiring him with no time to reflect on his time in Miami, was a huge mistake. Dolphin fans have said Gase's offense is miserable, and sure enough they weren't wrong. Gase is not going to be a good HC for us, and I honestly cannot imagine he will last long. One thing Chris/Woody need to learn is, don't keep an HC just to say you tried "continuity". It's important to give an HC time, but its also important to realize when you made a mistake and cut the chord earlier rather than later.

In this scenario, I'd rather get rid of Gase after 1 season than waiting

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Classic overthinking. Figured the D would expect the run and he would out smart them.

K'OB likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That guy was already fired!

stinkyB and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

That was a horrible call. If he catches the ball we gain nothing. We are not going to score. He catches the ball we are at on 20 with a min to go with a qb that has never dressed for an nfl game. There is no way we score points. If he runs it twice the half ends on the punt and there is no gift of three points to the Browns.

The call was horrible because the reward was non existent for such a huge risk. That call should never never under any circumstances ever be made.

8. BrowningNagle

if Bellamy catches the ball, like he should've, the Jets don't have to punt at all. clearly that's a positive thing

there are hundreds of things to criticize Adam Gase for. Why do you choose the one good play he called? I don't get it. I honestly thought you had your plays mixed up at first

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

What should he have said? I think it's better than him saying: "Well, Trumaine has sucked so far, so we are going to bench him."

10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It does not matter if he catches the ball because the call should have never been made. We gain nothing by getting a 1st down. It wss beyond stupid. It turned a 10 point game into a 13 point game which forced us to go for it on 4th down later on instead we could have kicked a fg and made it a one score game.

This call was inexcusable. A call that no competent coach would make. You have a QB that has never dressed for a nfl game backed up by your endzone with an opportunity to regroup and get the ball to start the 3rd quarter in a close game. 3 points is huge in such a game. You do not just give it away which is what Gase did. If your going to take such a big risk there better be a reward. There was no reward. We catch that ball and we will just run out the clock and be no better off.

ouchy likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I think "top 5 defense" is an exaggeration. Above average, maybe, but not top 5. They don't have much of a pass rush and the cornerbacks are very weak.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

again, it is false to say "we gain nothing by getting a 1st down."

"we" gain a 1st down so we don't have to punt.

cval and 94Abraham like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are about 10 things you can get on Gase for from last night's game. This play might not even crack the list if it were a top 20. Odd nit to pick for sure.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Probably Maccagnan's fault though.

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We gain nothing. If we run the ball twice the punt ends the half. They do not get the ball back.

16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This play had a profound impact. Rather than kicking a FG in the third quarter to make it a one score game it forced us to go for it on 4th down. But what separates this play us it was monumentally stupid as there was no reason to do it other than ego as it makes Gasd look clever or innovative. In a game with a QB that has never dressed for an NFL game behind a poor OL we cannot afford to gift away 3 points.

Playcalls and play design can often be argued many different ways as there is a lot we don't know and a lot more variables. This was a simple poor strategic decision that any 5th grader would understand was bad. Unneccessary, high risk for no reward.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I can't stand Mehta but I was thinking the same thing. How does any play call for not blocking their best player?

18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Tell me when Darnold lit up the field before he contacted mono. :mad:

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Exactly! The NY Post ripped into Gase for not explaining why Trumaine was benched. It's apparent why the benching occurred and Gase shouldn't criticize his players to the press. I support Gase NOT explaining this move.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The question should have been. Why did it take you so long to bench TJ?

NCJetsfan likes this.