Gase doesn't get it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 8, 2019.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree we many of us have and you are right we have no patience. That being said it's been 8 long years since we've had meaningful December games. Once in those 8 years. We've burned through two gms who couldn't pick a good player if it bit them and not very god coaches. Gase was under 500 in Miami. Was not very good. This has Mangini with the Browns and Ryan with the Bills written all over it. It's a week into the regular season and you can start feeling it. Yes we need patience but history is repeating itself again and Jet fans are sick and tired of it.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You can make that evaluation about almost every head coach with more than one stop on his resume.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Coaching two games well and a "good coach" are two entirely different things.

And not for nothing, the first game he coached against Chicago was a pretty rough game LOL

They had 213 total yards on offense and scored 10 points. They had 10 penalties for 71 yards and used almost the entire game clock on every play due to poor communication, hence why they had to go with a wristband yesterday.

But continue your baseless claims

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are coaches like Andy Reid who had a lot of success in their previous stop and needed a change of scenery. As for Gase, he got the Dolphins into the playoffs once and didn't have a bad record despite bad QB play. But he got very lucky in close games, as in his point differential was Bowles-level bad. Unless he's an incredible game manager, that means he should have had a significantly worse record than he did. And unless Darnold is going to be a star, that means things could get ugly here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s why I said almost. The fact still remains if you hire a coach with head coaching experience chances are he is available because he didn’t win enough. Gase isn’t that different than most coaches, he can win with adequate qb play .

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's a spectrum of retread head coaches. At one end, there's Andy Reid who had a 130-93-1 record in Philly and took them to a Super Bowl and 5 NFC Championship games. In between there's Rex, who had a 46-50 record here but took us to 2 AFC Championship games. Both those guys would've gotten head coaching jobs again even if the Chiefs and Bills weren't interested. Finally, at the other end, there's Pat Shurmur who had a 9-23 record in Cleveland before the Giants gave him another chance for some reason. Gase's 23-25 record in Miami plus a playoff birth seemingly puts him closest to Rex, but his point differential puts him in Shurmur territory. Couple that with no real interest from other teams last offseason, and that's why he's getting less benefit of the doubt than a typical retread coach.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Relax. I re-worded it because clearly the wording was wrong.

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he's getting less benefit of the doubt than ANY typical coach. folks wanna can him and he's only coached 1 game here

people are stupid

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not on the Gase bandwagon. After one game it wasn't good. That being said I agree give him more of the season before we throw him over board. Unfortanately no one is patient. The last 8 years have made us bitter.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I just don't know what people expect. Yes, the Jets have been shitty for 8 years - Adam Gase had nothing to do with that. Why should that be a factor in how we evaluate him?

If the team goes 6-10 are we calling for his head? that's a 2 game improvement for God's sakes

11. Falco21

I am still trying to figure out why the one game was such a horrible showing for Adam Gase.

This has been discussed ad-nauseam on here.

The Bills have one of the best defense's in the league. Their secondary is loaded with talent. Our offensive line has never played a game together, before this game. Our starting TE is under suspension. Our starting running back had not touched a football in an NFL game in over 600 days. And our kicker was kicking for the first time for us in Metlife during pregame warmups.

Despite all of that, Gase had a gameplan, with the help of his defense, that should have resulted in us winning the game with over 20 points.

Our kicker missed an extra point and a field goal. And our middle linebacker, the quarterback of the defense, went out with an injury which led to two immediate scores by the Bills.

Oh, and all of that while our starting QB had mono.

I am still trying to figure out why people keep pointing to this game as evidence of Gase struggling and evidence of poor coaching.

The game was not pretty and there were adjustments that needed to be made, but that was obvious given all the circumstances above.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

This is the thing I don't understand - it seems that some people are just looking for an excuse to dump him because they don't like that he was the hire, and that's not a reasonable way to evaluate him. I wasn't happy when he was hired either (I believe my exact words on this board were "I can't see any reason why he would be hired"), but to think that we know anything at this point just strikes me as ridiculous.

johnny likes this.
  13. Falco21

Yup which is why this is all so frustrating.

There are many members of this fan-base that can not seem to separate the past with the current front office.

Were there piss poor decisions made in the past? Ab-so-fucking-lutely.

But if you can't separate that from a new Head Coach with a new GM, then it's a pointless argument.

johnny likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Every Jet fan evaluated him before he stepped foot in the building. What's amazing is that some were elated.

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Did last night change your mind. I get he's short handed but much like Bowles he looks overmatched as a coach and no creativity. He didn't want Bell. If we didn't have Bell it wouldn't be worth watching. I can't blame Gase for the last 8 years. He's kind of handcuffed. The team isn't good. The defense is playing hard. They're fun to watch. I'll even applaud him for sitting Trumane Johnson. The offense is unwatchable. Some is on him and some is the hand he is dealt. Falk looked decent. Maybe he'll open it up next week for him. Gase has now lost 5 in a row as a coach. It's not good. It has Mangini and Ryan written all over this hiring. At this point we'll be lucky to win 4. MetLife will be a ghost town in December and fans will be calling for his head. I'm not saying to fire him but look at the history. It's repeating itself.

16. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

So with last years loses and the 0-2 start with the Jets Gase is 0-6 as a coach. I said this is the beginning of the season he gets one year. And as far as its going he may
    not make it through the year. Undisciplined on both sides of the ball and penalties are a direct reflection of the coach. I am thinking at this point we give the Phins there
    only two wins.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

The homers were elated, the downers were angry, and the rational people said, "let's wait and see."

18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Last year's losses? WTF are you talking about? Are people REALLY dumb enough to combine a losing streak from the previous year on another team??? Plus even if you did it would be 0-5, so you just failed really hard there.

This fucking place.... Yeah, the Jets are horrible with all their best players out, playing with a 3rd string QB. Let's blame Gase. He gave Sam mono and got Siemian hurt LOL!

#298 Sam Hammer, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019