Sam Darnold out with Mono... probably a few weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wah, Sep 12, 2019.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Our coach doesn't sleep, snorts smelling salts, and left his wife in labor to coach Peyton Manning. His behavior may be rubbing off on our QB. :mad:

2. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

Darnold is going to be a great quarterback for 15 years. One sub-par (not bad) game in a brand new offense with a new coach and new players isn't going to persuade me otherwise or make me worried.

Stuff like this happens, it's a mere road bump in hopefully a long and prosperous career with multiple Super Bowls. It's asinine how quickly this board flips game to game--get a grip yall.

3. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I was being kind. But to be fair, we drafted guys like Mangold, D'Brick and Revis in the mid to late 2000's.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

You're probably right. But it's too early to say for sure that Darnold is THE GUY. He's definitely shown flashes but we need to see consistency and progression. We have been way to quick to crown guys like Nagle, Pennington and Sanchez. Let's see him put together a quality complete season. Then, I'll be a believer.

JetsNation06 and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Pennington was the real deal he just couldn't stay healthy. One of the most accurate passers in NFL history.

We got him 10 years too early. With these rules the way QBs are protected now he woulda been close to unstoppable.

6. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it since Brady became the starting QB in New England they've only NOT won the division twice. When the Jets won it in 2002 and Miami in 2008 the starting QB for both those teams ...

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe yes, maybe no. One report says they are monitoring his spleen daily which indicates some involvement but any timing would depend on how much it's inflamed and if there are things they can give him that will reduce it. The NIH article also mentioned the use of a flak jacket to protect it.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Good report, pretty much what I've gleaned from Googling.

Gotta appreciate your professionalism though, Doc - where anybody else would have said "the guy was talking out of his ass," you came up with the bolded.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Honestly for once Doc, I hope they put the kid's future ahead of a season that really had no chance of going to the SB anyway.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How come no one is talking about how great Sam actually played last Sunday? He did better against the Bills Defense WITH MONO than Eli Manning did without it. What about that touchdown pass and 2 point conversion pass to Bell? Amazing. I could barely walk to the kitchen when I had mono. This kid is throwing touchdowns and 2 point conversions. Overthrowing Robby Anderson on deep balls too! Impressive. :)

Seriously, I hope those recovery reports are true, but they need to take their time and make sure he is 100%. Of course Sam wants to play, he is the man, but they need to protect him from himself.

FJF, NYJFOREVER, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  11. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Haha well the guy is from HSS so don’t want to completely bludgeon him, I’m sure he’s pretty damn good at what he does. However he’s an orthopedist, so he doesn’t deal with this stuff really.

The only time I really deal with it is when we aren’t sure whether its mono or lymphoma, so usually the worst cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralebird likes this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Is it entirely possible that he didn't have mono? I mean if he's feeling mostly better...or is the spleen still enlarged a telltale sign? Maybe it's a weak strain? Honestly I have no idea

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Speculating is essentially useless... It’s such an unusual circumstance. The good news is that as a professional athlete, he has about as good of a chance of a quick recovery as anyone. There are few people in the world as heavily focused on the care of their body as pro athletes. Far from any kind of guarantee however.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

The other thing to take into account is the resources he has behind him.

The average person that gets mono does not have an NFL franchise at his disposal and millions of dollars to help.

I am positive the Jets are putting every resource they have available on the table including the best medicine possible as well as any available treatment to help speed us his recovery.

NYJFOREVER and NYJetsO12 like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

and there were folks on here saying he would miss the entire season SMH

16. Falco21

No one knows how long he will miss.

Even those who are doctors or well versed on the illness, do not know. This is a case by case basis and there will not be any details regarding Darnold's case that will be made public, so everyone will be speculating.

He will miss significant time, but in my opinion, it is hard to think he will miss the same time any of us would miss. He has access to some significant resources where money has no limit.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Not out of the question at all. Though the fish and giants may have something to say about that.

18. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They normally take cultures to test for mono, my guess is that they were looking for strep and saw he had mono. Could be wrong though

19. Falco21

As far as I have read, enlargement of the spleen only occurs in around 50% of patients.

If he falls outside of that 50%, it is entirely possible he is ready after the bye.

Again, this is all speculating based on the averages. I do not know his case severity at all

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  20. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Bengals too. We'll win just enough to pick between 5-10 and just out of reach for Jeudy. Next offseason free agency and draft all offense all the time. I know we still need an edge rusher and help at the corners. Definitely address them but spend on offense. Help Darnold. In the 34 years of watching this team except for maybe Curtis, LC, Chad and Santana Moss we haven't really had much fun watching an exciting offense. It's time.