Sam Darnold out with Mono... probably a few weeks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Wah, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Get to 1-2 and this almost didn’t even matter

2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So what you're telling me is we're getting an 8 touchdown game and our first win against the Birds?

3. Big Cat

2nd win after Trevor slings his nuts around on national TV tomorrow night and puts the Browns fanbase on suicide watch

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The early bye may actually be a blessing this year.
    This team needs to mend!

Still seems like a bit of a long shot for Darnold to recover that soon, but lets hope.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. Big Cat

More seriously, the fact that he’s already “feeling better” is either propaganda, an incredibly quick progression of the viral course, or an absolutely terrifying 3rd option that he was symptomatic between the 3rd preseason game and week 1 and just didn’t say anything.

He could’ve easily ruptured his spleen if that’s the case. I appreciate the toughness and competitiveness but sometimes you’ve gotta be open with the team doctors.

NCJetsfan, K'OB, Cman68 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think its something to raise the spirits of the team moreso than an accurate prognosis. They don't want to admit it, but if the goal was the post season, 2019 isn't the year its gonna happen especially with a thin roster.

RPOZ51, Big Cat and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Sounds like 28 days out for SD, because risk of spleen injury after 21 days for athletes is extremely rare..but we shall see

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Or he just thought it was a severe cold or something of the like. Scary, but I doubt he thought he had mono

The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

As long as Sam's back in time for the playoffs!

10. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

Ok I've stayed quiet so far because I've just been digesting everything. I'm a physician (hematologist/oncologist) so I will just give my two cents on this situation.

(a) mononucleosis is not a straightforward diagnosis by any stretch. If he is "already close to 100%" that honestly sounds pretty doubtful.
    (b) splenic enlargement occurs in around 50-60% of cases.
    (c) around 10% of cases are very non-severe and people may even never know they had it. In fact, the viruses (mostly EBV but also CMV) that cause it infect the majority of the population by their adult life. Some people have mono when they get it, some don't.
    (d) In cases where spleen is enlarged, you would see it occur from around 2-21 days after infection starts. I think this is where the optimistic number of 3 weeks out comes from I believe.
    (e) Yes, if the spleen IS in fact enlarged, him playing football would be a significant risk to his LIFE. That being said, splenic rupture in this situation is considered extremely rare, however that is in series of patients who don't happen to be NFL QBs. This is not a common occurrence in NFL players mostly because most people are already exposed to these viruses by that age.
    (f) People have been talking about the "risk of spread". To be honest, this is not as big of a concern for me. Like I just said, most of the guys in that locker room probably have been exposed already in the past. Furthermore, unless they plan on swapping spit with Sam, transmission is not going to be an easy thing. It is NOT considered extremely contagious by way of droplet transmission, which is why it is called the "kissing disease". Virus is shed in bodily fluids, like saliva. That being said, the quarantine is still the right thing to do. He has the potential to spread this for a good 6 months though. So they should still be very careful with him in practice when he gets back. No making out with Quinnen.

Bottom line: Every patient that has mono has a different illness. I truly believe that. We don't really know what Sam's is like. Nobody has mentioned whether or not the spleen is enlarged. I know there was a doctor from HSS on Mike this week who painted a doom and gloom picture that "he wouldn't let his child play the season at all with this". First of all, would be a weird thing for me to say considering I wouldn't let my son (8 months old now) play football AT ALL. Second of all, one thing he was hanging his opinion on was that he was saying that "even if the spleen isn't enlarged it's at risk for rupture". That is not something I have ever seen in the literature to be honest with you. I can't say I know where he is getting that from (it kind of sounded like something he made up).

I would be surprised honestly if he is back before Jacksonville. However, I would be MORE surprised if he was "out for the season". The way I look at it, if they can steal a couple of games until then, there is still reason for hope. Obviously this is a disaster.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Thanks for the expert opinion Doc! I wish I could pin this response.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. Big Cat

13. Footballgod214

no one's gonna want to get near him when he returns...Sam might have his first sack-free, hit-free game! Anyone remember when Magic Johnson came back with AIDS to play in the all star game? His own players didn't want to play with him. This won't be the same but I can see DCs dialing down the blitz just to keep their D-line happy. Teams might play more of a 'contain' than 'attack', even though there's little risk of spreading it (unless Sam starts making out with someone at the bottom of a scrum).

NYJetsO12 and JetsNation06 like this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Holy Miracle of Miracles Batman!!!

The Kid barely got diagnosed with mono and hes "feeling much better" ?? Yeah sure ahaha

I predict a return by the next MNF game 10/21/2019 against NE

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Considering Sam didn't play Week 4 of the preseason for obvious reasons, I think your option 3 is what happened. Especially now that I'm seeing this.

NCJetsfan and Big Cat like this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I remember well. Isiah and his man crush on Magic. You know he loved those kisses. Nasty.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Great write up...thanks! If Sam wanted, could you take his spleen out for him so he can get back sooner? Could you put it on ice then stick it back in after the SB? Asking for a friend...

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

MJ blamed Isaiah for spreading the "MJ is gay" rumors!

JetsNation06 likes this.
  19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's right. Isiah's a sneaky, twisted dude who bankrupted an entire league by himself and then there was the Knicks debacle.

FJF and Footballgod214 like this.
  20. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

So it sounds like they'll be aggressive with this. Like if at 21 days post-diagnosis he has no splenic enlargement on US and he feels even mostly back to normal, they'll push the envelope. Given it may be a season on the brink I understand, but there is the possibility that if he comes back too early playing may make him feel like crap again and can keep him out even longer.

NCJetsfan, Big Cat and HomeoftheJets like this.