Gase doesn't get it

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Those other teams have veteran QB's, continuity of talent and long term coaches. I watched a ton of football this past weekend. I saw lots of poor communication, missed assignments, defenders gassed in the 4th quarter, really dumb penalties, etc., etc., etc. You should watch Red Zone once in awhile if you think the other 31 teams are executing well.

Great Monday night game. Loved watching Houston giving a free pass to set up a time out and field goal position with 2 seconds left because they sat back 20 yards on D.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland looked like outright dumpster fires. Tomlin is one of the most successful coaches in the NFL.

cval likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Cut the shit, you will suffer with the rest of us.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

we looked no different then what the Packers looked like, except they capitalized when it counted the most.

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How about them Bears. As good as that Houston Game was how could they let NO have a free pass to FG range and get down for a timeout. They gave up the play at the LOS.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Great. They also had two winning seasons in the past eleven, Gase was coach for one of them - what difference does it make? Gase had a losing record in Miami; he has one in New York now.

Feel free to believe that it is logical, grounded, rational, reasonable, justified to claim Darnold is "finally getting some quality coaching." I want more. I have very little confidence in Dowell Loggains, or Gase; I've seen nothing performance or production based to distinguish them from Bowles and Bates.

#225 Ralebird, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'd say "small sample size"...but you know that.

I am concerned about the lack of play call creativity and lack of adjustment.

We looked clueless...

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

EXCELLENT! This nails it exactly! Don't tell me to be patient. I've been patient for 50 years. And don't tell me I'm overreacting because it's just the first game, because given their schedule they could easily be looking at 0-7 or worse. Not all games are equal in importance, and this one was exceptionally important because of the schedule, and because it was the first time we fans got to see this hyped new CS, and a bunch of hyped new players. Losing like they did re-ignites the SOJ fear of many fans, like or not, fair or not.

And adding to the stench was Gase's presser where he ducked responsibility for the loss, Yes, the players sucked - not all, but many - and maybe they didn't execute the way he drew things up on the white board, but guess what? They're NEVER going to execute perfectly because the other team is going to do their best to prevent that, and when when they do it's up to the coach to counter with alternative plays and schemes, which from what I saw Gase failed to do, so THAT is on him.

I hope Gase gets things figured out, but in my experience, anyone who refuses to accept responsibility, effectively shuts out the information they need to improve. Once again, as Parcells said "You are what your record says you are", and Gase is a sub-.500 coach. Until he proves otherwise, I'm not going to simply take his word that he isn't the problem.

I had hope that they might even sneak into the playoffs this year, at worst be 8-8, but based on what I saw, and Gase's disavowal any blame in that loss, and looking at the schedule, it might be December before they win their first game. That's not panic, that's a fear based on decades watching this team. I really hope it doesn't come to this, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. The only antidote to this pessimism is for them to win. Until they do, it's SOJ.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When your gameplan isn't working, it's up to you to change it. That's on Gase, not the players. Obviously the players were struggling, and they deserve to be held accountable, but it's up to the coach to figure out how to get them to succeed, he didn't do that, and that's HIS failure.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  9. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

As others have said, it's great to have you back Kurt. I really appreciate your insight and knowledge and you make this a better forum.

10. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

A lot of sore knees on this board with the return of @KurtTheJetsFan

LMAO :D:p

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

In my opinion what Gase says to the media is inconsequential - assuming he is willing to look at his playcalling critically and adjust for the future. Nothing he said was factually wrong. If he was remiss in adding a sentence somewhere during the conversation along ther lines of "we have to coach better as well" to make people happy so be it. I am not going to castigate him for that.

Nobody on this forum knows what is happening behind the scenes to understand if Gase is looking at all options for improvement - including his play-calling. I am not going to go bellyaching after one loss. Maybe Gase turns out to be a wild megalomaniac blaming everone but himself. I am not ready to go there yet.

As a fan of ther Jets for 40+ years I have seen it all before (like many of you). However, Gase has been the coach for one game so I am not going to blame him for the Jets history of ineptitude. I am not going to demand instant results because of the failings of past bad management, coaching, and players.

It's obvious that when your OL is not performing it's almost impossible to be successful unless you have "All Pro type" skillset people who are performing at a very high level. Too bad that's not the Jets. The OL problems severely limited the Jets chances of success and the types of plays that could have been called.

That being said, I would have liked to have seen him try a few other things. Maybe they would have been successful and maybe not.

I am no OL genius like Kurt :), but I believe that you can devise controlled rollouts that will give the QB more time - even if it limits half of the field. I would have liked to have seen more two RB sets (with or without motion). Additionally, it looked to me like we were in the shotgun with an empty backfield too often - especially when the OL line was underperforming.

Maybe trying other options would have failed as well, but I am of the opinion that if what your doing isn't working then after a while you try something different. That is my issue with Gase's play-calling in the first game. What do I know, I am just done guy sitting on a coach (literally).

12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The Kurt love-fest is upon us :).

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Drew had to find the rt guy also

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We were up by 16 points. The game plan at that point is don't make any big mistakes. Darnold makes that throw to Robby Like Watson was able to do in Houston there is a different narrative. I put this more on Sam than Gase.

15. 101GangGreen101

Week 1 baby! Bad decisions and poor execution all around.

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So you're basing your opinion off of 1 game with the NY Jets and comparing Gase to Bowles. I respectfully think you're either a complete dumb ass or a troll. That's an informed opinion and not a derogatory attack. I have actually read several of your post.

cval likes this.
  17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Overreaction Monday was in full effect this week. That being said we should start taking notes of signs that Gase won't be here past this year.

1. He's part of the free agent signing period. The kicker situation he has to take some blame on.
    2. Was here for the draft. Same as above. He has to take blame for a 3rd round pick getting cut. Where were the cbs, line help and wrs for our young qb.
    3. Game one. Lose a heartbreaker. Offense looked bad. Lose a close game.

Just a few things on the list to come back to. Please add anything else I forgot.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

4. Tells people to "fuck off".
    5. Googly eyes
    6. Ralebird don't like him

19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think this situation with Gase throwing players under the bus while taking no responsibility himself is a real test for Douglas and makes me happy we got Joe. Douglas has a reputation as a communicator a guy that is great at bringing people together and resolving disputes. We have a arrogant narcissist HC who alienated players and ownership in Miami with lies and refusal to acknowledge mistakes. He is doing it again here.

What Gase did publicly attacking players is beyond stupid. Privstely, he should be holding them accountable but what is wrong with him. Does he hate being a HC that much he has to sabotage himself with such stupidity.

After his backstab of Mac, power play and his public temper tantrum at the draft many including Orlovsky had speculated that Gase could lose player trust with more dishonesty. Throwing players under the bus publicly while taking no blame himself puts Gase at risk of losing this team quite quickly. Now is the time for Douglas to step in and have a father to son type talk with Gase and smooth this problem over before it erupts.

Gase is a really bright guy whose ego keeps getting in his way. It is time for an intervention before this season is lost.

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

OMG Gase. Why did you allow Mosley, Quinnen and Enunwa to get injured? Why were you not out there run blocking??? Why did you make the decision to let Myers go? How do you not have your offense perfectly installed by the time the first team offense FIRST plays together? Why wasn't he able to turn garbage kickers into national treasures? Why did he not stop Herndon from driving drunk or Sheppard from taking PEDs. It's all his fault!!!!

LMFAO!!! Let's take notes on how dumb Jets fans are. One 1 point loss and fans are threatening to boycott the team and acting like somebody stole their first born son. Can we please cool our emotions a bit?

Biggs likes this.