First big test for Jets GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Aug 25, 2019.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Well JD just made a trade for CB help.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The New York Jets have acquired cornerback Nate Hairston from the Indianapolis Colts in exchange for a 2020 sixth-round draft pick according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.

The 25-year-old Hairston, originally a 2017 fifth-round pick out of Temple, started seven of the Colts' first eight games at corner last season but battled an ankle injury and ended up playing just nine defensive snaps the rest of the way. The Jets need help at corner with Darryl Roberts, Brian Poole, and Parry Nickerson penciled in behind default No. 1 cover man Trumaine Johnson, who is hoping to rebound from a disappointing 2018 campaign.

3. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

There are already some intriguing names shaking free. This team will look very different on Monday with that 3rd waiver priority.

4. LF911SC

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Makes sense for them. Got some starters back and can hopefully resign him then release him if they get others healthy owing him nothing. They released 4 other QBs today too

LF911SC likes this.
  6. LF911SC

Not trying to reopen the argument but that why I said at the start we dont know why he was signed. Lots of teams bring someone in for week 4 preseason game to protect players from the chance of injury and then cut them right after the week 4 game.

No reason to let it get to where it did, but I'm cool with it. Happens, hope youre cool too

7. TonyFtLaud

Absolutely

8. LF911SC

Tell you what, he may be someone else's trash but I'll take it back, bring in Scandrick. Its impossible that hes worse than Roberts.

We may be better corners than Roberts and Im sickly, LOL

9. TonyFtLaud

I'd bet we are and I'm in a similar situation to you...
    Roberts beat twice on one play ,draws a penalty and still gives up the TD...
    Can't be worse.

LF911SC likes this.
  10. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

I dunno, this is the CB position and Scandrick is 32. I accept he won't make rookie or bonehead mistakes, but it's a bandaid at best on a team that isn't going to make the playoffs (There! I said it!) and as such he has no long term upside here. He might be a good pick up if we were one win from making the playoffs, but we're not. We're gonna absorb some learning curve this year in a lot of places, and CB might as well be one of them.

11. Beki

Beki Active Member

Well, I just took a look at our cap situation in next year...I must say that will be JD first big test. :)
    As per OTC, we have currently 5.5M cap space, next year our top51 salary is ~150M, calculating with 200M cap -> 55M cap space.

Adding to that: RA, Leo Williams, Beachum, Shell, Kalil, Poole...all will be UFA's. I really hope the release of Winters+Roberts coming too. We will need 3-4 OL guy, WR1, edge rusher and new CB's.
    F*ck Maccagnan, hope he will not get any job in NFL in the future...

12. LF911SC

Heads up. We were "debating" picking him up, I was totally against it and TFtL wanted to sign him. We're playing here