Complete Week 1 Thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow....that's a lot of thinking for one same old jet loss......

unfortunately you may have a 10 page thought post by the end of the year.

it's ok ,there is a lot to unwind from the previous 2 administrations. LOL.

2. ponytrekker

ponytrekker Member

Has always been the Gase gameplan since MIA. Dink. Dunk. No turnovers.

Jets81 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Of Mac’s 6 draft picks in 2019, 4 were defensive players. Of the 15 undrafted free agents signed after the draft, 11 were defensive players. Of the top 10 main free agency contracts handed out by Mac, in order of cap hit, 1 CJ Mosley (FA), 2 Kelechi Osemele (T), 3 Le’Veon Bell (FA), 4 Henry Anderson (FA), 5 Jamison Crowder (FA), 6 Darryl Roberts (FA), 7 Brian Poole (FA), 8 Robby Anderson (RFA), 9 Steve McLendon (FA), 10 Josh Bellamy (FA) etc. 5 are offense and 5 are defense. I would not say that Mac focused much more on the offense this offseason either.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I'll add my 2 cents:

1. Their OL seemed stout at the line of attack on passing plays meaning they kept the Jets defense 3-4 yards away from Allen giving him time to throw or room to run. Jets OL were backpedaling at the snap allowing Bills to collapse pocket around Darnold. By the time Darnold found his target, the Bills were all right in front of him causing a lot of batted balls. It's hard to believe this discrepancy is due to the Bills having better personnel up front.

2. Here's another hard to believe. Most NFL teams bring 2 sometimes 3 FG kickers into TC. In most cases the differences between the incumbent and the challengers comes down to a matter of experience. In most cases, the ones waived are fairly competent kickers, some are even veterans. Only the Jets, however, managed to find three kickers, none of whom can kick. Do you mean to tell me that out of 31 training camps, there wasn't one halfway decent kicker who was waived?
    At least, his kickoffs were good.

3. In the non-Jets universe of the NFL, when you draft a player at the No. 3 position, that player is almost unquestionably in your starting lineup on Day 1. Where was Q. Williams? Did we draft another bust?

4. Generally thought Bell's debut was impressive. Most of his plays produced positive results. However, superstars earn their money, when the game is on the line. When the Jets needed some big offensive plays in the 4th quarter, hardly saw his number called.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Admit it fellas...

It all went to shit when this turd broke surface.

ramjet and Jets81 like this.
  6. MaximusD163

The over and under-thrown balls from the 4th quarter were tough, and as I specifically referenced in the OP, could have changed the game had one of them connected. Darnold had been running from pressure all day, but unfortunately in these two instances, he had space. Darnold had picture perfect mechanics all day which is what led to a solid completion percentage. The bulk of his incompletions came in the 4th quarter, and both of these big incompletions were a result of rushing the throw.

Using comparisons made in the forum to make a point is embarrassing. I’ve seen Stephen Hill compared to Randy Moss, Greg McElroy compared to Chad Pennington, you name it, the stupid comparison has been made on this board.

If you are set on looking yesterday’s defensive performance a bad showing, whatever. Sounds like you’ve made your mind up no matter what the evidence suggests.

The fact that you think Bell did a journeyman's job just shows how desperate your are to be doom and gloom. Based on Bell’s performance yesterday, he will likely eclipse 1,500 yards if he stays healthy. If you don’t consider that to be very good you’re not basing your expectations in reality.

I really don’t know who you’re aiming your responses to. You’re quoting me yet what you’re saying seems to be directed to some vague group of homer fans out in the nebula of TGG somewhere. If you can go back over the last few months and find even one post of me on the hype train, do it, please.
    If you are not aware that this is textbook snark you need take some English language classes. I don’t mind differing point of views, if they were anything you could consider a well thought out take. Not sure why you decided to jump on a post that referenced a number of negatives from the game, because it kind of seems like you didn’t actually read it.

7. MaximusD163

After watching the game a second time, I’m pretty sure that the game plan was to maintain discipline on their rush lanes. I believe Greg Williams instructed his defensive linemen not to rush the passer like crazy, because it’s so easy for Josh Allen to cut bate and gash defenses all day. Allen did not have a big day rushing the ball at all and only had success with it when CJ Mosley came out of the game. The Jets actually played a tremendous defensive game through the first 3 quarters, but the game plan resulted in looking like they didn’t have a good pass rush. You always want to force Allen to beat you with his arm. Too bad our CB’s suck.

Kicker problem is pretty inexcusable.

Greg Williams is a proponent of bringing rookies along slowly. Don’t give them anything, make them earn it on the football field. I’m more than ok with that, especially because McLendon had a great day out there yesterday. Williams is not a bust at all, and he was out there making some plays yesterday too.

Bell was right where he needed to be, converting 1st downs and taking pressure off Darnold. Everyone forget how we were on our own 1 yard line, everyone and their mother knew Bell was getting the ball, and he still smashed it through the Bills D for 10 yards to give us some space? If one of those Robby Anderson deep balls connects, or the field goal connects, this game is a win. Bell was great out there, he even caught a very tough shoestring pass for the only offensive TD. The guy is our best player hands down.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Not disputing that, just questioning why he wasn't used more in the 4th Q.

9. MaximusD163

The Jets had 2 real drives in the 4th quarter. 1 after each of the Bills scores. After the first Bills TD, there was still plenty of time on the clock and they were up by 6, but Bell only had 1 touch before the drive stalled. They probably should have tried to get him the ball more and been more patient. The second drive was a 2 minute drill, and they were trying to be aggressive down the field. That wasn’t a bad decision, just poor execution. You’re right that they should have given their best player the ball at least 2-3 more touches in the 4th, but that’s not on him.

ouchy and westiedog1 like this.
  10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I try to keep my takes simple.

The offense stunk, mostly because of the game plan. I don't think I can handle a dink and dunk season. Bell is the heart of the offense. We should rarely go to spread formations and should almost always have at least one TE in the game - lined up on the line. Maybe even a third tackle on some plays. Going bigger up front will help Sam and Bell. This needs to change immediately.

Sam regressed a little. He looked like first ten weeks of last year Sam and not the last last 4 weeks. I agree with the others stating he needs more roll out plays. He also needs more quick hit slants/outs - more quick routes period. But even in the pocket he did seem to hesitate too much and wasn't playing on instinct. This could be a week one/new system thing. But it needs to improve. All of those batted balls were not because of a free rusher. His release is too slow and too many of his throws were bad. This is another reason to get him out of the pocket.

The offense lost this game -period. With all the chances they got they seriously under performed. Ya we need a kicker. Ya the defense folded in the 4th quarter. But the defense did more than enough to win, even outscoring our offense.

The defense is who we thought they were. Maybe even a little better - which isn't saying a lot. Yes our CBs didn't play well, and largely stink. But really it was the injuries that killed us.

We didn't just lose Mosley going into the 4th - we lost Quinnen Williams. This may have had a larger impact than we think. I can't say Quinnen had a great game. The one notable play was when he blew up the center during the fumbled snap which killed their drive. If he is doing his job than everyone else's job is easier, and it was his first game, so too early to judge. However, we lost the two big guys in the middle and it was a disaster.

We will see how good our staff is at cleaning up this stuff. Much of it is fixable. Buffalo has more talent than people are giving them. Lets win next week and turn this season around.

#70 ouchy, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Obviously we need a kicker. What’s Nick Folk doing right now? Did anybody call him?

Jokes. Getting a decent kicker is 1# priority, that ultimately cost us the game. If scrub makes the point after we would’ve gone into overtime.

I’m not going to what-if this though.

Our o-line was like a sieve. Best case scenario is they’re going to need a couple more games to gel into something that give Sammy more than 3 seconds to throw the ball. I don’t even want to think about the worst case scenario.

It was a rough game to watch, but we all saw this coming. Won’t be the last heartbreaker this season, we got about 3-4 of those to go.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

My thoughts:

1. Sam Darnold was off his game. I think a lot of that had to do with a shaky offensive line, lack of separation from receivers, and an entirely new system. Good news is, he secured the ball and had ZERO turnovers.

2. Le'Veon Bell can be a game changer this year. His yardage after initial contact is ridiculous and his ability to make the first guy miss is amazing. Give it a week or so, and I think he can explode once he gets a better feel with this roster.

3. We need a kicker. This is obvious and a hole that Mac left.

4. Mosley is HUGE for this defense. With him in the game, we had 4 turnovers and 0 points allowed. As soon as he left the game with an injury, Buffalo scored 17 straight points and walked down the field at will.

Even with an anemic looking offense, had we made the extra point and the field goal, we win this game 20-17 and walk away with a week 1 victory.

Adjustments need to be made and a kicker signed. We do that this week, and we will win Monday night against Cleveland.

13. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

For opinions stating that offense lacked imagination, it is impossible to throw downfield when Darnold is getting balls batted at the line of scrimmage and is under duress.
    There is no way Sam could get into a rhythm due to this as well as the offensive lines limited time together. We will certainly no more this week and Definately against the Patriots.

14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Jamal Adams said after the game that the "team lost energy".

That says something....I just don't know what.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It says that Adams says things.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

He does talk a lot...

17. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would be happy with the Jets trading for so CB help so long as it wasn't a first round pick (mainly because we effectively throw away most of our picks after the first round in any event)

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If you don't know what my posting here refers to, perhaps "you need to take some English language classes." I clearly laid out three things that the irrational exuberance group has been leaning on that failed on Sunday. I even threw in a bonus fourth. If you believe those four subjects will take this team to a winning record this year be assured I disagree.

Further, in post #37 I pointed out that your initial post here was nothing more than excuse making. You then proceeded with the childish move of quoting me but changing what I said. Once again, write your own opinions, don't change mine. Be as optimistic as you want to be; challenge what I write but understand what you call snark is based on over fifty years of reality. If those words are too strong for you, just pick up your participation award and hit the bricks.

#78 Ralebird, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019