Complete Week 1 Thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Darnold did look like shit out there...

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Fixed

In all seriousness though, I’m sure Stephen A Smith will have plenty of hot takes for you tomorrow. If you want to talk about football strategy and execution I’m all about it. If you want to through around snark and drama, ESPN is readily available.

Mr mittens, PabloJa and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Fix your own damn shit and leave my words alone. I own mine, you own yours. I don't give a flying fuck about Smith. Man up.

4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I appreciate your write-up, OP. I like you put the time and effort in.

However, this was just unacceptable. These are professionals, getting paid a lot of money. Players and Coaches a-like. Optimism is fun in the right context and you made some good points.

At the end of the day though, results are the only thing I care about. Being +4 in the turnover department and still losing by one point, is a disgrace. Inexcusable. Unprofessional. Period.

The real head scratcher, is that if you look at the moves that Mac made, he made more offensive oriented moves than defensive moves, yet, our defense shined so much brighter than our offense.

Maybe we have the wrong coach as the head coach in the building. Just saying.

5. MaximusD163

Man Up? I’m sensing an unusual amount of fear for something as trivial as this trade dispute. I mean football message board tussle.

Heck, let’s call it what it is: A no holds barred, bare knuckled, jaw clenched, gritty.... Upset fan.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This was a weird game. No one played bad, but no one did enough to win either. Can't say Sam played bad. He was fine. Was he good? Nope. Bell was good ,but was he great? Nope. The O-line was bad. The play calling was bad. The offense never got in a rhythm. Sam missed some throws. The defense forced 4 turnovers, but completely collapsed when it mattered most. The punting and kickoffs were good, but a missed extra point and bad hold causing a missed field goal were bad. A lot of ups and downs. Same for the Bills, but they made one more play or at least got one more point.

Having said all of that, I feel the potential is still there for the Jets to have a great season. Making the playoffs just got that much tougher though with a divisional loss.

7. Ralebird

Here's precisely what it is: I pointed to three things that people were hanging their hats on this year for a different outcome and even added a fourth for the late addition of Bell and the ensuing increased optimism. That's a total of four things that did not come to be, albeit after only sixty minutes, but you start a thread ignoring those things and not only fail to counter my arguments but get snarky about it, while at the same time call me snarky for staring reality in its ugly face and calling it out.

Grow a pair and refute anything I've written here with facts, offer a viable opinion to the contrary or go back into hibernation.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Bell was great. The fact he had 92 yards the way the offense was playing is actually kinda absurd.

9. MaximusD163

We all have our opinions, I would definitely disagree that MAC made more offensive moves. I mean in his 5 drafts he spent 4 first round picks on defensive players. Out of all of the picks he made in the first 3 rounds in his tenure, he selected 9 defensive players and 5 offensive players. That’s a lot of investment in defense. Also, the Jets 3 largest salary cap expenses this year are all defensive players.

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought Bell looked really good. Just meant he didn't close out the game or make that one extra play to get the win. It would have been nice to run it down the Bills throats and the game would have been over. Not Bell's fault though as he did not call the plays or block for himself. Heck, if Marcus Maye catches that interception it would have been over. So many little moments that pretty much all went against the Jets in a 1 point loss. Hard to pull off, but the Jets did!

11. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Indeed, given the blocking, I think Bell did as good as can be expected. He made more than a few defenders miss.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Quoting a post and "fixing" it is a weak maneuver.

I don't even know why the software enables it.

13. MaximusD163

Thought you’d never ask
    Here is where the snark started.
    1) Sam Darnold: In the first quarter Darnold consecutively over-threw and under-threw receivers in a key field position scenario, you believe.
    Response) This is blatantly incorrect, and I have no idea what you’re referring to. Sam Darnold’s pass attempts in the first quarter:
    1. Well placed but dropped by Jamison Crowder
    2. Completion to Le’Veon Bell
    3. Completion to Le’Veon Bell
    4. Completion to Josh Bellamy
    5. Well placed but dropped by Ty Montgomery
    If you don’t believe me, go look yourself. As far as his stats, 68.3% completion rate, 175 yards, 1/0 TD/Int, successful 2 point conversion, no fumbles, hit 6 different receivers... That’s not a guy putting the team on his back but that guy sure as hell is not a guy costing his team a football game. Darnold was under pressure non-stop all game. He rarely had a clean pocket, and yet operated very efficiently.

2) Adam Gase. Saying a name isn’t making a point. Did he frown to much? Did he fart and a little shit came out?
    Response) Rosie O’Donnell.
    Gase has inspired Jeremy Bates comparisons... by who? A well known football mind? Or again, you just saying it.

3) Defense. Again, saying 2 adjectives is not making a point. A point has facts to back it up and make it legitimate
    Response) The defense was energetic and effective. By your standards, that’s making a point apparently.
    But how about something legitimate, just for fun. The defense forced 4 turnovers, which is good. They almost had 2 more. They did suffer from some penalties, which is not good. They gave up 370 yards, which is not good. However, before losing 2 Important starters, they gave up only 195 yards through 3 quarters. Had Mosley not been knocked out, that averages to 260 yards for the whole game. The Number 1 overall defense last year averaged giving up 275 yards per game. The point is with the QB of the defense in the game, they were on pace for an excellent defensive performance. If the Patriots were on pace for 400 yards of offense through 3 quarters and then Brady got knocked out of the game leaving the Patriots unable to move the ball in the 4th, would you call it a bad offensive performance? No, you’d call it shit luck. And if you were a Pats fan you’d hope he was back the following week... Which is exactly our situation with Mosley.

4)Le’Veon Bell.
    First of all, Le’Veon Bell averaged 3.5 ypc with no help from his offensive line. He also had 92 total yards and a TD on 23 touches. Over a season that’s 1,472 total yards from scrimmage and 16 TD’s. If Bell put up those stats every game this season he’d be considered one of the best offensive players of the year. What exactly are you expecting? Do I even need to bring up his ridiculous yards after contact?

14. MaximusD163

So is getting into an argument on a football message board. And yet here we all are.

15. Ralebird

1) Well, you're at least slightly correct. When I said the first quarter "I believe" I had been going on memory alone. Now that you've shown that was wrong, I checked the video and realize it was worse than that, much worse. It was just before the two minute warning when the Bills had taken the lead in the fourth quarter that his pass to Anderson came up short. The following play was a one yard run for a first down and the following play was overthrown to Anderson in the same area where he had just underthrown. The next two plays were a batted down pass and a deflected one.

This is not the performance of a great quarterback who is going to carry a team to the promised land. The stats you quote are those of mediocrity.

2) The Gase comparisons to Bates have been made in this forum, not by me. They may be unfair but today he showed nothing more. Perhaps that is what is to be expected of those claimed to be among the brightest offensive minds.

Let me know when you see any concrete signs of such.

3) Turnovers are a fact reflected in the box score; how much they were forced is a matter of opinion. Good for those who came up with the ball; that's part of their job. The bigger part is not allowing points which they did pretty well until it counted and not allowing yards, which they were lousy at. The penalties speak for themselves.

Were it not for the timely turnovers the Bills were showing how poor the defense was.

4) Bell did a journeyman's job today. Nothing close to what many here have touted as a running game breakthrough.

I believe that was unfair to expect of a guy who took a year off and was not permitted, for one reason or another, to polish his technique and timing in the preseason but that's what people were predicting.

As I said in my first post here, game one does not a season make but it certainly should be a wake up call for those pie-in-the-sky believers who focused on those three or four things as season changers and for those who saw today as some kind of head start to a new beginning.

Just because you disagree does not mean a comment is snark, especially when it is reality.

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

On the over/under throws. That seems to me symptomatic of two players who haven't had that much recent practice opportunity. Early preseason was about getting used to Gase's playbook and Robby was injured later on.

The first was definitely an under throw. Without rewatching, and it is quite possible I'm recalling it incorrectly, Darnold was escaping pressure and didn't set his feet properly. Robby had a ton of separation. I'm not convinced the second was an overthrow that was entirely on the QB. It was a proper throw. Robby didn't appear to have the same degree of separation which either means his route was disrupted in some way or he didn't put the burners on quite so much, perhaps because of the first under throw. It took a while for them to get in sync last year too.

17. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

O-line was horrible... Darnold was under duress all day.
    Gase should have countered with some designed roll outs for Darnold to give him more time to find the open receivers & push the ball downfield.

fggrimes likes this.
  18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Nice post. This place sucks ass after a loss but it is always nice to find a well written post about the game after a loss.

People saying Darnold isn't the guy or he sucks, what are you guys saying about Baker? 1 TD and 3 INTs at home vs a lesser defense than Buffalo. I don't want to start comparing the two QBs but jesus christ - people need to step off the ledge. He played fine. He didn't win you the game, he didn't lose you the game. Gase was super frustrating though. Where was the intermediate passing game? Keep a back in or have Griffin chip the edge to help give 14 some time back there.

FJF likes this.
  19. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I was referring to this past offseason, not the overall body of work. I think the consensus was that the offense had been improved much more than the defense as a whole. That the offense would need to carry the defense this year type of talk.

It doesn't look that way after week 1. Is my overall point.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. Yorkshire Jet

Yorkshire Jet Member

Very worrying loss that one. Bills could move the ball on us and despite all the turnovers we could barely convert to actual points. Darnold looked ok, but o-line looked dodgy, 1-2 running punch didn't seem to come off, Couldn't seem to get any throws down the field going. D looked again just ok, I mean Mosley was having a good game and it all crumbled once he left. The big thing here is, this is the Bills, at home, that is a worrying start no matter the analysis. Hopefully as we play more games we will get more used to the system and come good. But right now, i am feeling a bit deflated. Also kicker! how bad is our kicking! Needs sorting. The offense needs more spark and energy and the D isn't too much better. Roll on Browns. But if we go 0-2 to the Bills and Browns, then it's hard to see a recovery from there. I wasn't happy when we hired Gase, but now he is here he needs time, hopefully his system will show something next week. Keep in mind we looked dynamite after week 1 last week and we know the rest. Long way to go, i'll be enthusiastic come the weekend. But today, i just want to kick something, hard, AND I WOULD DO IT BETTER THAN OUR KICKER!