Complete Week 1 Thoughts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Week 1 Cliffs Notes

Big lead, ugly home loss, pathetic offense, poor coaching adjustments

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Great points by OP and others but we must accept the fact that we have one too many inferior players to compete at a high level for 60 minutes. OL, CB, Kicker and even WR. Years of poor drafts with not much to show are apparent.

#22 LAJet, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    kevda5n9ne and dmw like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Do you think they could manage 60 minutes though?

4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

We are weak in key areas, yes. But as bad as the offense was, and even with the defensive breakdown in the fourth quarter - if we just had a freakin' kicker, this game is a win.

BrickcityJet and Mr mittens like this.
  5. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

Looking to week 2, the silver lining is as bad as it was for us today, it was much worse looking for Cleveland.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No one is saying they should go to a roll-out only offense, but jeez!, how about a few to slow down the pass rush? The OL was manhandled, and it's the mark of a good HC to realize when his plans aren't working to try something else. Yes, it's one game, but what I saw from Gase is VERY troubling.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better!

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

You get 47 minutes. No more

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

first week generally means nothing. In this case our bad OL, WRs and defensive backfield were exposed. Even with that with a competent kicker we probably win this game.

Overall the team played pretty much as expected. if You can’t kick extra points and chip shot field goals it’s tough to win in the nfl. They need to fix it this week.

BrickcityJet, LAJet and grkmanga31 like this.
  10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about football x and o's to say this for sure but it looked to me like a lot of the pressure the Bills were getting on Darnold wasn't so much our OL being "beaten" 1on1 but was more due to scheme, good timing, well executed DB blitzes, disciplined/heads up jumping to bat balls by their DL etc.

The main problem though was how constant the pressure was. This is what I've been worried about all off season. If your offensive line doesn't "win" the battle in front of it your team is at best going to struggle. It doesn't much matter if you have Leveon Bell, great scheme, deep threat WR's etc if Darnold is running around in circles with 14 hands in his face, tugging at his jersey, and just missing his feet. I guess as the season goes on we'll see if this is more of a Jets problem, or more of a testament to how good the Bills defense is. At this point I suspect its a bit of a combination of both. Darnold has to have that extra heartbeat of time in a clean pocket though or this team is going to just be hamstrung.

11. MaximusD163

This is absolutely true, although there was some getting beat one on one. I’m re-watching the game and it strikes me that this must have been what it felt like playing against Rex Ryan’s defense back in 2009. The blitzes are all over the place, well schemes and well timed. This Bills D is no joke.

12. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

6 points on 4 turnovers can't happen. We take care of business in the first half, we win the game. Another thing that can't happen? Giving up 13 points in the 4th quarter to a team you shut out for the first 3 quarters. Our kicker should already be fired. I'm down for the Carli Lloyd Experience over the shitty ones they keep bringing in

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I knew we were fucked when I heard that Fireman Ed was back.

FJF and PabloJa like this.
  14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Rollouts aren't the only thing to keep pressure off. Clearly the Jets and Gase felt quick passes and hoping the skill guys could break one was the way to go. It didn't work today though.

15. MaximusD163

In fact with a very good defense rollouts can leave a QB vulnerable. If LB’s are disciplined they really don’t help. You could see how disciplined their LB’s were today, they were hardly falling for any play action.

16. Stagman

Stagman Active Member

Great insight, thank you for the detailed info.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What's going on now is awful. In the interest of intellectual honesty and truth in advertising please relabel this as the "Lame Excuse Thread."

18. MaximusD163

“What’s going on now is awful”... You realize how dramatic that sounds? 16 teams have or will lose a football game this weekend. There are at least 15 cities nationwide where awful things are happening! That’s got to be some kind of pandemic!

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sure.

But it was a well written, nicely detailed, lame excuse thread.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Half the teams will lose this week? No shit, who'd have guessed?

But the three bases of what most here touted as the keys to success going forward were totally absent. While I agree wholeheartedly that it is too early to flush the season surely you need to look at 1) Sam Darnold, 2) Adam Gase and 3) the Defense. These were to be the cornerstones of the Jets turnaround.

In the first quarter on consecutive plays, I believe, Darnold both underthrew and overthrew receivers in a key field position scenario. His overall stats for the day were respectable but that only proves that stats don't tell the story. Nobody would hire the guy based on today's statistics versus actual results.

Gase has already inspired Jeremy Bates comparisons. With any luck the Jets won't continue to shackle themselves with any more "brightest offensive minds" people.

The vaunted defense was apathetic and ineffective.

Addendum: L'Veon Bell, the second coming of Christ according to some, averaged three and a half yards per carry.

#40 Ralebird, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019