2019 NFL Season Week 1: Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Lots of people picking the Jets in this one. Not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand it means people are coming around to the idea that the Jets made some good moves and that they might have brought in professional quality coaches.

On the other hand the Jets excel in letting people down.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Channeling my inner Joe Willy voice.

Jets will win on Sunday. I guarantee it.

3. Billsfan1212

Billsfan1212 Active Member

For me, its fun bc as much as both fan bases wont admit it - these teams are eerily similar. Both have different attack styles on both sides of the ball, but both teams made key additions. Buffalo fans are exicted about Oliver, Morse, Smokey, and Beeeez. Roberts is under the radar and its a shame he isnt playing BUT hopefully the fan who didnt pay attn to how he gashed us last year or arent familiar with the Jets will be pleasantly surprised when the time comes. As for our other Jets add, hopefully thats never anything more than depth. Anywho, two teams w 2nd year qbs looking to take the next step with new toys to play with. Both fan bases feel they arent getting enough credit but neither have won anything yet and that wont change until the Ws pile up. Things needs to be proven because as of now we are still 2 teams drafting top ten looking to break out and establish ourselves.
    Also, i dig Jets central 's videos. Is he a member here? Seems to have good content and is always both insightful and respectful. Imo, he is a nice way to keep tabs even when our teams arent squaring off.

egelband and Brook! like this.
  4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I hope you are right but I doubt our OL "destroys" the Bills DL. I predict a close Jets win but I wont be shocked if the Jets lose. Both teams are evenly matched IMHO

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm looking at ST's on this one. Field position will be huge as both defenses are above average. If our kicker actually CAN kick in Metlife, we're in good shape. If he gives Allen a short field to work with? We got problems. Lucky for us our old pal Roberts won't be in this game.

6. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I'm hoping they are being slightly like Belichek on the injury report on Robby Anderson. At first they made it sound like it was no big deal but he is still listed as questionable. I'm assuming he's good to go for tomorrow.

egelband likes this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a repeat of 2012's Week 1: Jets-48 Bills-28.

Remember after that game we thought we finally had a good offense with Mark Sanchez. Threw 3 touchdowns. Greene looked good. That changed pretty damn quick. :D Fitz threw a Pick-6. Can't remember to who, maybe Cro.

Hopefully the 2019 Jets have a better season than 2012, but a similar Week 1 result! :)

JeTsInTexas and themorey like this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he has a strong leg for kick offs but it's accuracy on FGs that concerns me

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I want the Jets to win so bad come tomorrow but not only for 1-0 overall and 1-0 within both our division/conference but also so as a fan I can ENJOY Sunday Night Football and root for the Steelers over the Patriots with sole possession of the AFC East on the line (Ravens will defeat Miami).

Jets: 1-0.

Patriots: 0-1.
    Buffalo: 0-1.
    Dolphins: 0-1.

JeTsInTexas likes this.
  10. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I do hope for all of you that the Jets do win this game. Otherwise, it could get ugly here!

Folks, it is just the 1st game of a long season. So let us not get so excited whether they win or lose. The Patriots were 1-2 last season and got their ass kicked by Detroit to lose their 3rd game. Detroit a team the Jets had no problem beating the week before. So who gives a shit about the beginning of the season when it all matters at the end.

Win or lose, how good is the Jets offensive line? I expect the Jets defense do a decent to a good job with Greg Williams as the DC.

You got to protect your franchise QB or it will be another bad year. I am giving the Jets the edge in this game, but I am concerned about the protection Darnold will be getting.

Brook! likes this.
  11. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

The OL is better than last year that's for sure, but how much is to be seen. Kalil at C alone is improvement, now Sam has half a second more time when snaps aren't everywhere except where they should be (ankle high, over head, left, right, you name it). Add to that, Osemele looks the part as well.
    Saying all that, I'm expecting the Jets to win a close game and start the season on a high note. I think we basically have to looking at our schedule after the Bills game. We can't afford to a slow start if we've got any hopes of Playoffs, which I do have.

egelband, Brook! and Patriot like this.
  12. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

The offensive line and blocking all together by the team last year was very disappointing. Everyone looks at the starting offensive line, but expect to have some injuries. How good are the backups? Can the coaching staff also employ a team mentality of blocking? Meaning the Receivers, Tight Ends and the Backs need to be blocking also. Bell's running and pass-catching abilities will give Darnold some relief from the pressure he will be facing. Darnold also needs to be smart enough to throw the ball away when it is not there. I am not expecting the Jets offense to be explosive. Just play smart, eat up the clock, and don't turn the ball over. Give the defense a chance.

If the Jets can win say 8-10 games while still improving every week would make me happy.

As to the Patriots, I expect this years team to actually be better at defense. They have made a lot of improvements in this side of the ball and it will be interesting to see how they finish. So another reason the Jets must protect Darnold.

egelband likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Wake up folks. It’s game day!

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Make you happy?

Whatever it's fucking game day!

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Everybody going to JetLife today wake up! It’s finally gameday, stadium better be rowdy! I’ll be doing my part. Let’s goooo

JeTsInTexas likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Wake the F Up People! On my way to the stadium shortly. Let's kick some Buffaleww ass!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I think the Jets have more than a modicum of talent but that cohesion thing is a wiley animal that's always been elusive. I can think of five games easy off the top of my head where they had cohesion, but just like consistency, the most consistent the Jets have ever been is being consistent about not having cohesion and being consistent with being inconsistent. I think they are strong up the middle on both sides of the ball and weak on the outside on both sides of the ball, they'll be exciting at times but maddeningly mediocre at others because it's incredibly hard to buck their historic DNA. Case in point, Bart Scott's "I can't wait!" exclamation. Yeah, me neither. Annnnnnnnndddd just what happened exactly the following week? Asking for a friend.

Not trying to be a downer here, but I don't have a feel for this team at all so I'm defaulting to what I know. PAIN. I'm not sold on Gase at all. How can I be? Nothing has happened and he hasn't done anything yet, but he has to prove me wrong that he's not just another clueless scrub with the only difference being that he looks like he should be featured on 'Really Scary People' on ID Discovery.

Week one opening at home, division rival, go win that game. The spread is 3.5 and my rabid Jets fan fried, Vinnie, is taking the Bills (lol). What's that unwritten rule about betting? Never take the Jets.

I think it's gonna be a close nail biter like all Jets/Bills games seem to be but it could very well hinge on the kicking game and then I'll have to go on a murder spree. I'm begging the Jets to prevent this random loss of life, but hope only stretches so far.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Jets 20, Bills 17. Again, the kicking game, slowly I turned, step by step inch by inch . . . and Roberts the Pro Bowl return guy from last year is a Bill. Pain potential.

Jets are gonna have to play a solid game and a good fluke on STs could save us. Let's just hope our secondary doesn't get picked apart because Jamal Adams can't do it all by himself. I really have no feel for this team except to say that I have no doubt over The Boot's ability. However, that and a handful of pennies won't get me on the subway if the rest of the team plays like they ate a bowl of Thorazine.

Experience has shown me that my true bar for expectations for this team has pretty much always rested on the floor and they have generally failed to reach it almost every year. I'll take baby steps at this point and hopefully I won't trip over my shoelaces. A division win to kickstart the season in The New Dump would be a nice thing to have, but I'm not holding my breath or I could die of asphyxiation. Who does that when it comes to this facacta team. Someone with a death wish, that's who.

I'm also hoping Baby Face Finster (Quinnen Williams) hurries and knocks Josh Allen off balance including mentally but generally I'm not looking for a moral victory here at any position. C'mon, Jets, bring it. I started pacing at 7:30 this morning. Pacing and bracing for pain! Well, that's my pregame home opener ramble. GO JETS!!!

egelband, dawinner127 and Brook! like this.
  18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Week 1 games mean as much for eventually playoff teams as week 16 games. They aren't an indication of who is good and who is bad. The NFL 1st few games of the season are notoriously slop fests. Keep it close make a few less mistakes and don't screw up on special teams is usually the winning formula.

The refs usually suck just as much as the teams early in the season.

If you're going try not to puke on your fellow fans after halftime. Nothing worse than trying to wash puke off a Sam Darnold official NFL jersey.

JeTsInTexas likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

"Let's Go."
    -Le'Veon Bell 9/8/19

Can't wait to see what this season has in store for us.

Bills 20
    Jets 27

J-E-T-S win.

Brook! likes this.
  20. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Robby Anderson active today, was doubtful with a calf injury. Good news.

Brook! likes this.