Bertolet sucks! (We have a Kicker crisis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sid Youngelman, Aug 30, 2019.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

It’s $4.75 with a Ryan Quigley Titans throwback.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Make that a conditional $1.99.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

How do you even pronounce his first name?

Care? Carey? Car-Rhee?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Halfway in between Core and Co-reh.

5. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

This is a great low key pickup. As you saw yesterday, MIN punter Wile was cut for Colquitt for primarily upgrading place holding. Wile was lousy and it ended up seeing Dan Bailey have career low percentage wise last season, saw Daniel Carlson fizzle in Minnesota before finding success in Oakland and saw Vedvik go from a strong camp in Baltimore to not hitting anything in Minnesota. Laclan Edwards is a vast improvement in this department. The Vikings special teams has been a fail for years, I don't think it was all on Vedvik here for not doing well.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We are gonna be a mess this year in this department...Its gonna be a hold your breath situatuion every time we go for a field goal

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope that you're right!!!!

8. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

I like the pick up Vikings st suck for awhile. Plus we have a guy now who will kick it through the end zone like we had with Myers. Remember how everyone thought he was a scrub then by end of year was a pro bowler. Just let our st coach get him right, Vikings must have the worst st coach there is with kickers.

9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The one constant throughout this self inflicted clusterfuck has been the holder. Could the problem be there?? Hard to believe EVERY KICKER we bring in sucks..Not to say its impossible though..

10. NCJetsfan

The holder is Edwards. When Catanzaro missed those kicks in preseason it was Darr holding, not Edwards. When Edwards held, Catanzaro made his kick(s). I think the same thing goes for Bertolet.

Mr mittens likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'd argue the opposite. Meyers was average throughout his career, comes to the Jets and ends up in the Pro Bowl. This preseason when Matt Darr was holding, everyone stunk. Edwards might be our ace in the hole!

12. Cman68

i take it Darr isn't holding for us anymore?

13. NCJetsfan

You take it correctly. He was waived on cutdown day or maybe even a day or two before. Edwards will be holding.

I understand why teams don't do it any more, but I liked it better when 3rd string or backup QBs were the holders. It increased the possibility of a fake FG and I think may have slowed down the rush some. I love fakes on FGs and trick plays in general. I think they make the game more fun and exciting for the players and the fans.

nycarl and Cman68 like this.
  14. Cman68

Seems to me that everyone is saying Darr was the problem.. Bertolet had a mediocre leg and Cant just couldnt get the job done.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

punters hold because QBs have to practice QB-ing. Punters are off to the side of the practice field with the kickers anyway the whole time, so they teach them to hold

16. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tin foil hat theory here:

My guess is because Lachlan is tall and lanky, he can receive the football sooner thus getting it down sooner -- which affords him more time to spare to get the ball situated correctly.

17. NCJetsfan

Yes, I know. That, along with the new CBA, less practice time, having fewer QBs on rosters, and worry about QBs being injured all led to punters holding rather than QBs. Still, I wish QBs would still hold. It adds another element to the game. One certainly wouldn't want one's starting QB to hold on kicks, but teams could use their backup QB(s). Third string QBs rarely play, but the problem is they're now rarely activated or are on the PS, and that's even if a team has a 3rd QB.

I never have liked the idea that one can have 53 players on the roster but only 49 (or whatever it is) can be activated for the game. IMO if a player is on the team (53 man roster and PS), he should be able to play in a game if needed.

#137 NCJetsfan, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As long as he can kick it between the posts as well as kicking it long off kick offs.

19. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

For some reason I think this is going to work out very well in the long run, and we'll will look back at the Vedvik acquisition as one of Joe Douglass's great moves. He certainly has a lot of talent and ability. Hopefully the accuracy comes along quickly. The potential is there. I'm going to be patient.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

ok who is betting me we lose on a missed FG sunday. LOL

K'OB likes this.