Tough schedule to start the season. Do you think....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Not a click bait. Title would be too long otherwise.

Do you think Jets would still make the playoffs after a 2-4 start?

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

8-2 is a very tough ask but I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility given the opponents. Colts started 1-5 last year.

More importantly, we shouldn’t be starting 2-4 if we’re a playoff team, no matter who we’re playing. Good teams win games, especially at home (where 4 of those first 6 are).

NYJetsO12, Vida and FJF like this.
  3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Offense will have to be a well oiled machine my fear is that they are not with Leveon not playing yet

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No. I don't think we're making the playoffs period, but I'd change my mind if we went 3-3 or better.

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The schedule stinks. The team is better but that is a rough start. Our ceiling is likely 3 and 4 but realistically 2 and 5 is probably the best we can hope for. Sadly, 0 and 7 is a realistic possibility. When bad things happen often they snowball. There is a potential here for a truly horrific season.

This schedule reminds me a lot of 2014. We came off a 8 and 8 season with a much better team that got destroyed by a rough schedule. That team imploded upon itself losing all confidence as the losses mounted. I think this team should be more resilient with better character on both sides of the ball that can keep the emotions more even keeled.

But, there is also hope if we can survive at 3 and 4 or 2 and 5 we get a very nice 5 game easy streak where we can go anywhere from having a respectable seasin to becoming a playoff contender.

#5 Noam, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    kevda5n9ne likes this.
  6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I think a 2-4 (or worse) start is likely. After that, it is really hard to predict how the season will develop, not only for us but for the teams we will play. If we go 7-3 over the last 10 games we could make the playoffs at 9-7, but that seems like a stretch. So no, I'm not getting my hopes up about the playoffs. I'm just looking for good player development and a strong finish to the season. If we lose some hard-fought, close games because we have a crappy kicker, or one blown coverage, and end the season 8-8 I'll be ecstatic and looking forward to '20.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Getting the toughest opponents earlier may be a blessing. The first few weeks tend to be toss ups and plenty of "upsets" before teams settle in and find their rythm. Very little travel, easier back half could work out well.
    2-4 would be tough to overcome but we have winnable games vs the Bills, Browns, Cowboys( Zeke's not expected to play till week 7 now) legit chance to split with NE , especially playing them early. Could just as easily be 4-2.
    After the first 6, there are 7 straight we should win with 2 toss ups and the Bills week 17 which could decide the playoffs or not, again.

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. kevda5n9ne

kevda5n9ne Well-Known Member

Given how weak our current CB situation is, I also thought of 2014 and the CBs we had back then (or lack there of) and how we started off with 6 games in a row facing what the writers called the murder's row of QBs with Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler, Rivers, Brady, and Peyton. Most of those games were within reach of winning but with Rex it was bend but don't break... until the last few minutes that is.

We ended up starting 1-7 and had no chance after that. I think that's when Idzik decided to pull one of his head scratching moves, trading for Percy Harvin. That team still had D'brick and Mangold on the o-line with Colon, and our front 7 in D was solid with Wilkerson, Sheldon, Snacks, Harris, Pace and Demario, so we weren't half bad. But that awful start and weak secondary killed us. I think we even made Kyle Orton a top fantasy QB for 2 weeks.

This year our secondary is just as worrisome, and our oline is more volatile. So I think our floor this season could be the 2014 Jets, but getting off to a good start and having Sam build his confidence is critical.

9. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If the team wants to make the playoffs, they absolutely must win the opener against the Bills. A loss there makes that opening stretch almost impossible to climb out of, especially for a team that really isn't a playoff team as currently constructed anyway. They will most likely struggle against the rest of that opening stretch, as the offense will still need time to gel with all of the new weapons around Darnold and an O-Line that is suspect at several positions and has yet to take the field together at the same time. And the less said about the defensive backfield, the better. This group could make the 2014 secondary look like it had a clue.

If the 2019 Jets make the playoffs, then Gase is a strong contender for Coach of the Year, and Darnold probably had himself an MVP-type season.

10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

What helps us is throughout the year we travel the fewest miles of any NFL team

It is tough, but we're also a better team than we were last year, and a lot better coached.

Still it's impossible to predict. Are the Browns going to be good? Are they going to implode? Or maybe they're going to be good but start slow. They can be beat week 2. And we have them at home

Buffalo we have to (and feel we will) beat up. The Jets will want to avenge that drubbing at home from last season.

Dallas...who knows. I'm not a big believer in Dak. Will they have Zeke?

Try to get out of the first 7 at 3-4. Have to split with New England. Beat Buffalo (MUST) and beat one of Philly/Dallas/Jax

After that things will start to come together. Trash Dolphins x2. Garbage Giants

Somehow we play the Raiders at home. Seems like we're always flying out to that dump

PabloJa likes this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

For the same reason we think our Buffalo game is 'winnable', other teams think their Jets game is winnable.

Yankjetfan and ouchy like this.
  12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Doormats until we prove otherwise. They should think this way.

Except Bills fans. They know they suck and are deluding themselves with the Allen lovefest:p

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In 2014 we had Geno. Now we have Sam. Much different.

14. Big Cat

This is a good point. Our toughest stretch is at the beginning of the year where no one has found their rhythm. We also have 4/6 at home and a very tough road game is after our bye. The teams looks tough but the circumstances are very favorable.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Obviously the opener is really important. If we lose to the Bills though, I think our season gets out of hand fast. The Browns receivers are going to destroy our secondary. We could lose to them by 30 points, even if they’re playing just ok. Then the Pats, then an Eagles team who thinks they’re primed for a Super Bowl run and who we’ve never beaten.

With our luck the Boys’ will have Zeke back and the its NE again to cap things off.

If the Jets come out of that stretch at 3-3 then we have a playoff contender on our hands. Arguably just an outright contender.

I’m guessing 2-4.

16. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

No. Stop setting yourself up for a disappointment. This team is not making the playoffs. Look at the CB situation.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. Big Cat

Do me a quick favor. Without googling, name one cornerback for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Brook! likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Your Yankees will be eliminated by Houston Astros. Stop setting yourself up for a disappointment. Look at your crappy starting pitchers.

Twi can play this game you know. Lol.
    I am guessing 2-4 too. That's why I asked the question. Do you think we will still make the playoffs if we go 2-4

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Mo Claiborne :eek:

#19 TonyFtLaud, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    AJW likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’m not expecting playoffs this year. Maybe if Tru turns it around and plays like he did when he earned his contract we can compete early on, but if he’s trash like he was last season it’ll be tough. I’m just excited to see the offense. It should be the best Jets offense we’ve seen in a while.