Potential FAs/Roster Cuts the Jets Could/Should Consider

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 28, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This thread can be for players who are already out there as FAs or for players who become available after roster cuts.

I'll kick things off with 5 players suggested in an article on Turn on the Jets.

As Belic states, they may not be willing to sign with the Jets since they would be backups, but I think McDonald and Schraeder could be very good signings, and Harris could be as well. What are your thoughts about these players?

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/08/new-york-jets-top-five-free-agent-targets/

New York Jets Top Five – Free Agent Targets
    Joe Belic with five free agents for the New York Jets to target after the preseason…

As the season approaches, injuries happen (I’ll miss you Avery), players are cut, holes become more apparent, and GMs have to dip into the well in an attempt to rectify the situation. In this week’s “Joe Jet 5,” I name five free agents the Jets should target in an effort to bolster the squad.

1) Ryan Schraeder:

It would be wise to add depth to the tackle position. Edoga stepped up and did a solid job in the absence of Beachum and Shell; however, the same woes that have plagued our guards could present themselves at the tackle position.

Schraeder had a down year in 2018 from a pass blocking perspective. According to PFF, Schraeder scored a 62.9. Yet, aside from this past season, and his rookie year, he’s never graded out below a 70.

Schraeder is a solid run blocker—as far as right tackles are concerned—and his 67.4 run-blocking grade last season would have led all Jets starters. The addition of Kalil and Osemele will help reinforce the rush, but adding a RT proficient in the run game is the most intriguing aspect to a potential Schraeder signing. Comparatively speaking, Brandon Shell scored a 69.9 in pass blocking and 57.0 in run blocking.

One has to wonder why Schraeder is still available. Perhaps he is waiting for the right opportunity—from a playing time and financial standpoint—or his age (31) could be a factor. If Schraeder is content with competing for the RT job—which he could win—or a secondary role (as a backup) the Jets shouldn’t hesitate to bring him in.

2) T.J. McDonald:

This should be a no brainer for the Jets. I probably think more about Marcus Maye’s health than I do my own. I allegedly woke up in the middle of the night recently and asked my wife, “Did Maye get hurt again?” and fell back asleep. Now, I don’t recall this event, and I’m still not sure if she’s messing with me; regardless, I can’t say I’m thrilled about the thought of Rontez Miles in the starting lineup.

McDonald spent most of his time as a free safety last season (479 snaps) but can also play in the box (263 snaps). He’d be a perfect fit for what the Jets are trying to accomplish on defense; a reunion with former teammate Trumaine Johnson and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams could bode well for a struggling secondary.

Much like Schraeder, you have to wonder if he’d sign with a team where he wouldn’t be the presumptive starter. If McDonald is comfortable in a backup role and the money is right, the Jets should jump at the opportunity.

3) Bene Benwikere:

Bene was recently released from the Vikings. Obviously, he’s not going to be the answer everyone is looking for in the secondary, but adding another player—or anybody with a pulse for that matter—to the competition would be a prudent move.

Bene has experience playing out wide, in the slot, and safety. He’s arguably a jack of all trades and maybe that’s been his downfall. Regardless, Bene is also a solid blitzer; he received a 69.0 (PFF) pass-rushing grade last season and a glaring 93.4 in 2015. He has struggled in coverage at times, but I’m sure Williams can utilize his versatility and get the most out of a player who has shown promise in the past.

4) Jordan Mills:

Adam Gase’s former RT with the Dolphins, Jordan Mills, is another intriguing free agent. However, I do prefer Schraeder over him. Mills is a reliable pass protector, but his inefficiency as a run blocker (47.7 grade in 2018) would be a liability to an OL which has struggled in this area. Still, the Jets need to strengthen its depth at OT, and I’m more than open to bringing him in.

5) Maurice Harris:

I’ve had my eyes on Maurice Harris since his days in Washington. I believe, with better QB play, he would have carved out a nice role for himself on that offense. Sometimes coaches don’t know what they have until it’s gone. Harris had a solid camp with the Pats, but the reinstatement of Gordon, Demaryius Thomas nearing a return, drafting of N’Keal Harry, and the emergence of undrafted free agent Jakobi Meyers made him expendable.

Harris would be a great addition to a team which already possesses some of the most versatile players in the league. He has experience in the slot, out wide, and as a kick/punt returner. He could easily challenge Bellamy for the 4th WR spot, and his big body would be a massive asset in the red zone. At the very least, the Jets could pick his brain and maybe get some juice on the Pats.

Share this:

rohirrim665 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

CB, Chandon Sullivan isn't expected to make the Packers' roster. Supposedly, the CB position is one of their deepest/strongest position groups. Sullivan was with the Eagles last season, so Douglas should know about him. Sullivan was a four-year starter for Georgia St., starting 44 of the 49 games in which he appeared. He set school records with 7 interceptions and 25 passes defensed. He also finished 5th in career tackles. He was the first player from that school to be invited to participate in the Sr. Bowl. He was also an Academic All-American.

3. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure how much other help might be out there at CB. It doesn't look like the Ravens will have any CB worth claiming.

ESPN is projecting that CBs Orlando Scandrick and Jeremiah McKinnon won't make the Eagles. Scandrick is 32 and a 10-year veteran, but he would bring a lot of experience to the CB position. He had a career high 13 passes defensed last season. McKinnon is 26 and appeared in one game last season with the Browns so, G. Williams should know about his potential. McKinnon played college ball at Florida International.

ESPN is projecting that Trevor Williams won't make the Chargers' roster. He had a knee injury last season and has been limited this preseason, but if he can get healthy, he could possibly help. In 2017 he started 15 of 16 games, had 56 tackles, 13 passes defensed and 2 interceptions. Last season he still started 7 of 9 games. He is 25.

ESPN is projecting that CB Kevin Peterson won't make the Rams. He is 25 and was with the Rams last season. He appeared in 6 games, starting one, but had 6 passes defensed and 2 interceptions in that limited action. He played collegiately at OK St. He was a 3-year starter and had 125 tackles, 3 interceptions and 21 passes defensed during that time.

4. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I mentioned Benwikere last night. He has some experience 5 yrs and turns 28 soon so not as old as Scandrick. As a fifth guy, now that we traded for Hairston, maybe.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

K Joey Lye, Panthers, just nailed a 59 yard FG straight thru the middle with about 10 yds to spare.

HomeoftheJets, Burnz and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Joey Slye. From Virginia Tech. Big leg but anything over 40 yards you can't trust him on accuracy wise

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

He's been very good for them this preseason and in TC. He's 4 for 5 on FGs and 2 for 2 on extra points in preseason action. He's worth bringing in for a look if he is cut as is expected, although the Panthers are feeling uncertain about their long term kicker's (Graham Gano) injury and may keep Slye.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

At this point I'm not turning down anybody for a tryout.

9. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I don't mind "pass defensed," but I prefer "pass defended" and I hate "pass deflected."

I don't really understand what happened here. Ten years ago, I would have sworn the technical term was Defended and only Defended. I also heard Defensed, but only football newbies and illiterates used "Pass Deflected" (for obvious reasons, i.e.: all PD's are "defended," while many -- perhaps most -- are NOT "deflected.")

But now wikipedia is telling me that "Deflected" is actually the technically proper term? tf?

We are now so confused as a football-speaking people that if you look up "PD in football," you literally get three different answers as your top three answers. Deflected, Defended and Defensed.

There needs to be a press conference.

TwoHeadedMonster and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'll take anybody but Bertoilet.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We need a kicker that can defend against missed field goals.

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

"I worry about Marcus Maye's health more than my own..." This has me cracking up ... great post, thank you.

13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

DT Datone Jones just cut by the Jags. He's apparently had a great camp. Maybe we bring him in and cut bait with Shepherd?

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s played 8 games total the last two seasons. There’s a draw to him for sure but I’d almost rather let Shepherd try to figure it out.

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Shephards a scrub. Move him to the practice squad if the project must continue.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s fine but I would do it for someone that has played more than eight games in the last two years in more than one game in the last year.

17. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I’d still make the move. Shepherd can be called up if it doesn’t work out. Low risk, high reward.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

#5 Harris WR sounds good:

Harris would be a great addition to a team which already possesses some of the most versatile players in the league. He has experience in the slot, out wide, and as a kick/punt returner. He could easily challenge Bellamy for the 4th WR spot, and his big body would be a massive asset in the red zone. At the very least, the Jets could pick his brain and maybe get some juice on the Pats

I was thinking today how we lack a tall stud possession WR for redzone/endzone passes, especially the endzone.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Can he play TE?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jordan Mills, the tackle cited in the original article has concrete feet. He is not worth bringing in.