What Are Your Expectations for the 2019 New York Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Aug 27, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I try to make a thread like this before every Jets season. 2019 is a special one though because of all the changes that have been made. And I don't just mean their jerseys! :)

New Head Coach: Adam Gase

New Defensive Coordinator: Gregg Williams

New General Manager: Joe Douglas

Key New Additions: Le'veon Bell, CJ Mosley, Jamison Crowder, Kelechi Osemele, Quinnen Williams, Ty Montgomery, Ryan Kalil

A potential franchise QB in Sam Darnold who has a chance to make a big jump in Year 2 as recent QB's have done.

A contract year for Leonard Williams. I expect we will see the best we have ever seen from him.

All these new offensive weapons should also open things up for Robby Anderson, Quincy Enunwa and Chris Herndon (once he returns from suspension).

The back end of the schedule seems reasonable with games against:
    -Dolphins
    -Giants
    -Redskins
    -Raiders
    -Bengals
    -Dolphins
    -Ravens
    -Steelers
    -Bills

But the first half is really tough. After the Bills opener the Jets play:
    -Browns
    -Patriots
    -Eagles
    -Cowboys
    -Patriots
    -Jaguars

That is a tough start to the season. If the Jets can somehow manage to be (4-4) or better, I think they have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs with those final 8 games.

If you look at potential playoff spots in the AFC, you would say the Patriots, Chiefs, Chargers, and Texans have a good chance to make the playoffs but the rest is wide open. We don't know how the Steelers, Ravens, or Browns will look in the North. The Colts losing Andrew Luck is a killer. Could the Jaguars bounce back with a solid QB in Nick Foles? How about Flacco in Denver? So a lot of questions but I think the Jets can at least compete for a playoff spot.

My expectation is a solid 2019 year with the Jets finishing somewhere between (8-8) and (11-5) as long as they stay healthy. The beginning of the year will be really important. Hopefully they can get off to a strong start.

What do you think? What are your 2019 expectations for Sam Darnold and the Jets?

matt robinson 17 and Brook! like this.
  2. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

If we win less than 8 games we should fire everybody and trade Darnold

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I expect definite progress. I expect to see a professional football team out there each and every week that is prepared to play, plays smart, tough, doesn't beat itself with stupid penalties and mental errors. I expect to see a team that is in every game and lets opponents know that they were in a battle. I expect to see good game management and in-game adjustments when things aren't working. I expect to see creative play calling and use of offensive personnel. I expect the team to gain respect around the NFL and among fans, and to prove that they're no longer a laughingstock. I expect to see same take a big step forward proving that he is one of the top 5-10 QBs in the NFL. I expect Kalil and Osemele to solidify the left side of the OL and open some big holes for Bell, Montgomery and Powell. I expect Richie Anderson to show that he's more than just a one-trick pony and that he is a very good WR. I expect Jamison Crowder to have a big year. I expect Q. Williams to make an impact and show that he was worthy of the Jets #1 pick. I expect Herndon to continue to develop and show that he is a rising star. I expect Henry Anderson and Leon Williams to have a big year. I expect Jamal Adams to earn All Pro and show that he is one of the top 2 safeties in the game. I expect the Gase haters to become Gase lovers. I expect a couple of young players (from among Cashman, Dortch, Wesco and Polite or maybe one of the young CBs) to step up and make at least solid, if not big contributions. I expect the team to be at least .500, and hopefully better and playing meaningful games in December. I expect that by the time the season is over, the Jets fanbase to be really energized and excited about our future, and anxiously waiting to see what magic Joe Douglas can make in FA and the draft in 2020.

Brook! and The Dark Knight like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship!!

But seriously, no reason not to be playing meaningful ball late in the year. Sam looks real and for the first time in a long time we have a guy that will dictate front and coverage in lev bell.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I expect a disappointing start to the season, a hot streak after that, and ultimately a near-miss for a playoff birth. Darnold will be slightly above league average, but he'll flash enough that we'll be hopeful he can be a perennial top-10 QB. Gase won't be McVay, but he'll be an upgrade over Bowles, and for the first time in a long time, the offense will be better than the defense. Meanwhile, Douglas will gradually improve the roster over the next couple of years, and the early 2020s Jets will resemble the early 2000s Jets in the years Pennington was healthy. Good enough to make the playoffs and make a Super Bowl run if the stars align.

6. The Dark Knight

:D
    Sounds good to me!
    Yeah, we still don't know what the Jets have in Bell. There is a good chance he is even better than we realize. My expectations are low on him, so if he is even close to the star he was in Pittsburgh, that would be amazing.
    That's definitely possible. Like I said, it is a really tough start to the season. The future is definitely bright, but I think 2019 will be too! :)

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I see a 7-9 win season with the offense becoming above average for the first time in 4 years. But, the lack of depth and talent at CB and our unproven pass rush leads to a defense that gives up a lot of big plays. I know the D has good players, but the most important ones are where we're lacking as of now. Can Williams scheme to hide our deficiencies? I hope so, but I need to see it first. Overall, this season can be a nice stepping stone to a great 2020 and beyond if Douglas is as good as most here think.

Peebag, Lon Chaney, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  8. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Non-suckitude would be a welcome change.

hornblower, Wahoo, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

10 wins should be the expectation.
    If Darnold is the QB were hoping he is, with Bell in the backfield , Montgomery, Powell and the current WRs and upgrades to the o line.
    Most teams do well with a new coach, there's a new energy , a whole new belief surrounding the team.
    I keep reading how we have the best offensive mind in the league at HC, the best DC in the league and the most respected GM in the league. We spent the most money in free agency in league history. We have had no significant losses. 9 wins should be the absolute basement.
    There's no reason this team shouldn't be in the hunt for a wildcard spot if the new regime is as good as so many are claiming.

10. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

gonna stop posting W-L cause its not nearly as good as most on this thread.

lets see how things play out.

Cman68 and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Barring injury, .500 minimum. If we miss out on a playoff spot because of a tiebreaker or missed FG (please God no) then so be it. I want to see Sam make another step towards becoming a top QB like we all know he can be.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

At least 9-7 and contending for the playoffs until the final whistle in Game 16. Darnold staying healthy and having a Goff-like 2nd season (I'd love to see him have a Mahomes-like 2nd season but that's completely crazy). Gase out it all together as a HC and show us he's the answer we've been looking for since Ewbank.

I'd be disappointed in 8-8, and upset at anything less unless there was good reason like Darnold getting hurt (which would be really upsetting all by itself).

13. The Dark Knight

Let's just go ahead and win the AFC East. I don't think the Bills are as good as the Jets, the Dolphins seem to be tanking and Tom Brady is 42 years old. The Patriots are beatable. Time to do it!

Not the expectation, of course, but it is a possibility! :cool:

14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

9 to 10 wins, and a big step forward from Darnold.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I really don't expect the playoffs, but I'm hoping for seeing a competent, confident team on the field instead of what we've witnessed over the last several years. Unlike most, I don't look for miraculous 1 year turnarounds as there wasn't enough time for the CS to really implement their system nor for the team itself to really execute it in real game situations. There is no substitute for experience and 2019 IMO is a learning year. 2020 is when I'm expecting the jump to contender. I'm good with suck -> mediocre as this team truly has sucked due to mismanagement for years and its gonna take more than one offseason for all of this to come together into a winner. I'm not saying its impossible as no less than Todd Blowes himself proved its possible, but is it sustainable should be the criteria.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

19-0 we are after all the Jets 18-1

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

10 wins should be the goal. Bowles won 10 year 1 without a QB.
    Gase won 10 in his first year in Miami with no QB and no talent.
    He has plenty of talent now. Why are the fans who proclaimed him the best offensive mind in the NFL making excuses for him now? Suddenly mediocrity is what we should be hoping for?

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Our last 6 head coaches won 9 or 10 games in their first year, and they did not have Darnold.

The talent is there, the schedule lines up nicely, and there's usually a boost with the first year of a new CS.
    It's more than possible, I expect it for 2019.

Whether it's sustainable into 2020 is what I'm more worried about.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's 10 wins:p (with bad luck 9) Knight. Here's why:

Look at the Toughies first>>

Patriots have to play A Gase who has their number (twice) ...We split with them
    We lose to an revitalized Browns who will surprise the NFL with firepower
    Eagles depleted..we win
    Jerry J apologizes to Zeke and tips him Millions..lose to Boys
    Foles has a Defense but that's it..Beat the Jags
    Steelers and Ravens a toss up ..we Win one of them
    Cross town Rivals a toss up with Giants too (prob a Win)

That gives us 5 wins

We should beat Dolphins and Bills twice but we don't (another split) but have solid wins against Skins Raiders and Bengals

That gives us another 5

Viola >>>10 wins and a shot at a WC

For once in many years I am relying on our Coaches and Front Office to field a team, fill some holes and create a winning attitude!

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Tough to see the Jets at this stage doing better than 2-5 in their first 7. I would sign on the dotted line right now for 3-4. Beating the Bills is a must and the Pats early in the year can be beatable as we've beaten them ourselves in the 1st half a few times, Eagles we never beat. Browns...who knows.

I think we're beating Buffalo. And I think we can make a nice 2nd half run. I just hope we're not 1-6 by that time.

And we can be a legit "good" 1-6 team losing close heartbreakers to Philly, Dallas, NE etc. Those are just teams right now on a rung above us

I'm thinking they'll end up 8-8 with a strong finish. I'd really like 9-7 and an exciting run to the Wild Card. This team will definitely get better as the season rolls on (especially since we'll get Herndon back who will likely grow into Darnolds favorite target)