Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 19, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There were some of us who were dead set against signing Cousins.

NYJetsO12, NY Jets68, PabloJa and 2 others like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

alex smith isn't a high quality starter though. he's a game manager who was on the tail end of his career. his value was so low he was traded for a JAG CB and 3rd round pick. less then what teams paid to trade for guys like foles, cassell, garappolo, etc. chiefs needed a QB badly. every scout had trubiskly rated much higher who went 2nd overall that draft. and I hate to tell you even with the chiefs trading up, it's still luck. not like they had the 1st overall pick. it's luck that the bears took trubisky at QB over mahomes. it's luck that the QB needy jags passed on mahomes for a RB instead (fournette) just like the giants did with barkley. it's luck the QB needy jets passed on mahomes for adams. If that's your point of view every draft pick is luck outside of the 1st overall since that is the only pick where you have access to 100% of the draft. any pick after that is now luck someone didn't take a player you wanted before you.

3. GasedAndConfused

LMAO right. on the roster doesn't mean jack shit anyway. there is a huge difference between a jamaal adams and some dude who is a blocker on special teams only but both are "on the roster"

4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly, Mac lucked into Sam and not everyone didn't see the value in Mahomes.

Where your wrong is Smith. He was clearly a high quality starter. Washington was 6 and 4 with Smith as a starting QB last year. When he went down they went 1 and 5. He's career winning percentage as an NFL starter is 94 66 and 1. The Redskins signed him to a 55 million dollar guarantee following the Chiefs under Reid and Dorsey paying him 67.3 million.

I don't disagree that he isn't an elite QB. He is however a high quality NFL starter.

FYI in 2017 he lead the NFL in QB rating.

#1104 Biggs, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    blackssmagic likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

he's a game manager system QB that everyone loves and respects personality wise. It's even why the GM of the niners said he chose smith over rodgers in the draft. everyone fell in love with smith as a person and in hindsight he would have taken rodgers. smith isn't high quality, he's a limited average QB that makes few mistakes. The niners gave up on him for kaepernick who wasn't good either, and traded smith to the chiefs for a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder. the chiefs traded him to the skins for a 3rd rounder and a JAG player. high quality starting QBs don't get traded twice in their career for very little. hell even medicore ones like flacco and eli don't get traded (flacco did eventually at the age of 34 after a decade with the ravens). the redskins fall after smith went down was due to really bad QB play and a pile of injuries. it was so bad mark sanchez got a shot and was awful and got benched for a QB who was out of the NFL for a couple of years and came in off his couch to start. they didn't just lose smith, they lost backup colt mccoy after 1 game and were down to their 3rd string so signed sanchez and josh johnson off their couches. sanchez started 1 game and was benched for josh johnson who then won his 1st start and lost his final 2. no team would be able to survive that. it's not about how great smith was, it was about how bad the rest of the QBs were after him.

6. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It was almost a 50/50 split. Once we got to #3 it was almost a lock. I originally wanted Cousins cause I didn’t think Baker would have fallen to #6. But it didn’t take me or others long to sour on the idea

FJF likes this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yup. Sitting at 6, cousins was the smart play to secure a good qb. You couldn’t wait to see how the draft played out and hope for something. Hope is never a strategy. It really was fortuitous that the colts had the 3. I don’t see any other team making a deal with the jets.

TonyFtLaud and NYJFOREVER like this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

There were legitimate issues regarding Cousins. Running up garbage time stats, poor performances against good teams. Just being an empty stat compiler type who forever floats between 7-9 and 9-7. And after his 1st season in Minny those questions still linger

NYJetsO12, PabloJa and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

NYJetsO12, Jets81 and mrjet80 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. IMO signing Cousins was never the smart play. We'd have had to pay him a ton of money right off the bat and he isn't a FQB. We would have achieved mediocrity under Cousins and that was it. I don't think we would have ever even made it to a SB, much less won one with Cousins at QB. By drafting a young potential FQB we had a chance to get to and win a SB, if not achieve greatness. You just don't pass that up to pay huge money to a slightly above average QB.

Sitting at #6 we knew that we'd get one of the top 3 QBs as 3 of the other top 6 teams had QBs and wouldn't be drafting one.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Exactly. He isn't an elite QB either talent-wise, production-wise or mentally or leadership-wise. Over paying him to come to the Jets just to achieve mediocrity would have been the worst possible move that we could have made.

12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets did the right thing. Going the FA route AGAIN for a starting QB would have been so “Same ole Jets”.

It appears the stars have finally aligned correctly for the Jets ....

13. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Where are the TC news and tweets?

I don’t care about bickering between lame fans - just send each other DM”s and leave us out of the stupidity between yourselves.

I thought we were here for TC news?

The site is not well managed. Sorry to say.

Anyone else know of other Jet fan sites?

Sam Hammer likes this.
  14. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Yeah. Jets Nation. And trust me. You're better staying here.

15. NCJetsfan

Training Camp is OVER. There is no more TC news.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You’re a whiney little man, aren’t you.

Nobody gives a shit about what you think or want.

#1116 Jets81, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Sec124DieHard likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sitting at 6 nothing was guaranteed. Colts could have easily sat on their pick and waited for a team to come up while OTC. Giants could have easily went qb or trade. There were so many unknowns in March, when a decision had to be made. It was very much a bird in the hand scenario and mac was right for courting him. That it may end up working out for the best doesn’t change that.

18. Longsuffering88

Can you answer my question? If not, STFU.

You clearly care because you always reply with a threat. Which I think is s violation of forum rules.

By the way, I’m not little or old. So you might want to chill out.

19. Longsuffering88

Semantics

The tool of last resort.

Not shocked you would revert to that.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I didn’t threaten you, bud. I never threaten anyone.

The real problem with this forum? Some people have poor reading comprehension skills. It’s nothing to be ashamed of little buddy.

Here’s another forum you can go whine in: https://www.ganggreennation.com/fanposts