Brandon Copeland suspended 4 games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ptflea2, Aug 21, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I actual believe this was an honest mistake. This guy is a who teaches financial courses in the summer and understands how short his earning period is in the league. The nfl won’t let him off the hook because they can’t open that Pandora’s box ,same as golden Tate, but I think we will hear more of this in some legal matter.

NCJetsfan, LF911SC and NYJalltheway like this.
  2. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

When I got the notification, I was like eh, fuck em who cares?

After reading his long post, I really feel for the dude. Hope everything works out for him.

LF911SC likes this.
  3. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

LOL...

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think this whole PED shit is getting out of hand. The NFL should have a list of approved products. What the fuck is he supposed to do, hire a chemist to check on every health enhancement product even when they do not list the component on the label.

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They do have a list of approved supplements, as well as supplements that are known to have banned substances.
    The problem is, and the players are aware of this, manufacturer's often do not accurately label some products and there are new products hitting the market frequently. Ultimately the players are responsible for anything the put in their bodies. If they choose to use a new product,or one that isn't approved, they have 2 choice's, have the supplement analyzed by an independent lab, or take a risk.
    The funny thing is, If it were a player from an opposing team, there would be such outrage over his cheating...
    Ultimately, the FDA has to do a better job regulating supplements.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

idk... he's a smart guy so he would recognize how he's on the fringe of the league. Close to being a player but close also to being out of the league.
    So for him, the risks of taking PEDs are worth the reward. I think he knew what he was doing and I don't blame him

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He didn't knowingly take PEDs. He took an approved product. What happens often is manufacturers of these unregulated products make substitutions in production. So a product goes from approved to a failed test.

You totally missed the point and are just guessing. Shockingly its with a negative slant.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

^ ....lil' extra hot sauce on that last one... . . . : )

BrowningNagle and TonyFtLaud like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

First, you can't say he took an approved product when you have absolutely no idea what product he took. If it were a supplement that is on the leagues approved list, I have to think he would have specified that in his statement. I'm also sure there will be dozens of other players testing positive too. If it's a tainted batch of a product approved by the league, the suspension will be dropped.

10. FJF

I don’t think he is close to being out, he might no be fitting in here as well as he did last year but if cut he would latch on with some team. He had a very nice year last year and is still young.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

He's definitely a good rotational player with a few years left in the league.

FJF likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks Tony for the clarification. Great feedback. Now it makes much more sense to me.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This belongs in the Positive Thread! ;):cool:

14. TonyFtLaud

The positive outlook one, or the tested positive one?:confused:

HomeoftheJets, joe, FJF and 3 others like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that the NFL shares in the blame, as does the FDA. The FDA doesn't regulate supplements or vitamins. Some of the labs that develop or test these supplements are in third world countries where laws regulating safety and purity of ingredients are laxer and there perhaps is more corruption as a result. These supplements can contain low quality or low quantity of listed ingredients and often have fillers and ingredients not listed on the label. I think that the NFL needs to do a better job of education of players, and in testing of the various supplements out there. They know that players are seeking to gain an edge. Some will have no hesitation in cheating. Others think that they have found a legit, "natural" supplement that will help their performance and won't be in violation of the rules, only to get unpleasantly surprised. With their competitive natures, the pressure to perform, and with all that is probably being offered to them by trainers, it would be hard for them to not want something that gives them an edge.

While I wouldn't want them to take anything that could endanger their lives or shorten their lives, NFL players in general don't have long lives, and their bodies are under a tremendous strain. If they haven't already, they should legalize CBD oil and medicinal pot.

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Every fucking year there is one.... So sick of this bullshit. NFL needs to lighten up with its testing, it ruins the game.

17. FJF

So, gase said they had an idea what was coming down and that why they mixed up the rotation and had him playing late in the Atlanta game.

Thats the source of the media speculation that he might be on the bubble.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

The FDA does regulate Supplements and Vitamins under the DSHEA act of 1994 and the third party labs used to test supplements (NSF International, United States Pharmacopeia, Informed-Choice, ConsumerLab and Banned Substances Control Group) are US based. NSF International's Certified for Sport certification also ensures exercise-specific products do not contain banned ingredients such as performance-enhancing drugs.
    The problem is the FDAs power is limited by DSHEA to be reactionary. So they can't approve supplements or vitamins, and can only ban them after receiving complaints.
    The FDA has been lobbying for more control and stricter labeling but as of now, they have not been granted those abilities.
    The NFL does an excellent job of educating the players. They have a list of approved supplements.
    There is no possible way the NFL can test every supplement on the market,and new supplements are released daily. Ultimately it's the players responsibility. If they choose to use supplements other than those that are approved, they need to be sure they have that supplement analyzed.
    You absolutely right about players doing whatever it takes to compete and prolong a short career. They just have to be smarter with how they go about it. CBD oil can be derived from hemp and have the same benifits but the league has been relaxing it's stance on marijuana and I would bet it's going to be treated like alcohol in the next CBA.

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Well I should have said that's what he's stating. It's happened before, the NFL has ruled that way before. He's considering an appeal. We'll see. Hopefully it's not a BS story. Should have been clearer, my bad.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

I honestly don't think he knowingly took a banned substance, but the supplement was very unlikely one approved by the league. If it were he wouldn't have had to try and verify it was safe to use.