General Film Talk Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Dark Knight, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just went to see MiB International and it was better than I expected. Seems Marvel decided to lend some star power to the movie with Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson who is very cute with those big brown eyes of hers. :)
    If you are a fan of CGI, this is your movie as its loaded from beginning to end. Not any more heavy handed than the other MiB movies though. No holdovers from the first 3 movies but the new folks did a credible job. Far better effort than Hellboy.
    The plot held your attention throughout and as far as reboots go, Hellboy still holds the title as the worst reboot since the Fantastic Four bomb. Yes, odds are there will be a MiB Int. 2 although this one isn't setting any box office records. I guess after the Dark Phoenix fiasco, folks are leery now.
    All in all, its a popcorn matinee reboot good for killing time on a lazy afternoon. It's not gonna win any awards, but it will entertain you.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love the John Wick trilogy. I saw Parabellum twice in theaters. I usually don't do that with movies anymore, but it was so bad ass!
    Nice. I think I will see MIB this week. Still need to see that and Godzilla. I don't have huge expectations for either, so I should enjoy myself.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

Toy Story 4 was really well done. I am not a huge fan, but I have enjoyed each Toy Story film. If you do too, then you will like this one. Not sure there is any story left to make a Toy Story 5, but you know Disney will think of something. :D

Up next: Spider-Man: Far From Home.

4. The Dark Knight

[​IMG]
    Generic poster, but excellent movie. I really enjoyed Spider-Man: Far From Home. Jake Gyllenhaal was awesome as Mysterio. Great action, Tom Holland was great as always. Cool surprises. Highly recommend it! 2 awesome Post-credit scenes too, so make sure you stay for both.

5. Cman68

Got my tix for me and wifey. Saturday matinee.. thnx for the headsup on the post credit tidbits.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Went to see Yesterday last weekend. Good date movie if you're into older women.

7. Cman68

Saw it today. It was ok as far as matinee movies go. A ton of CGI made the movie work. I found myself laughing at a few scenes. Especially the teen awkward scenes where he looked every bit like a young teen not having a clue about women. Mysterio was a pretty good villain and the tie in to Stark was brilliant. However, the mention of "alternative Earths" opened the door to bringing back every character who perished in End Game. Smart move by Marvel just in case the Post Avengers era fails to deliver at the box office. I seriously doubt if we've seen the last of the original Avengers. The post credit tidbit was a huge view into what Marvel is thinking going forward regarding Spiderman and Nick Fury.

All in all, good Saturday matinee movie. If you have teens, or if you're under 35, this is your movie.

#307 Cman68, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I just saw Maiden. It's a fantastic movie. Spoiler alert, it's a documentary.

9. The Dark Knight

[​IMG]
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was pretty good. Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt do a great job, but the story is kind of all of the place. I am sure that was what Tarantino wanted though. Could have been better, but a solid film.

10. Cman68

Saw it yesterday and thank God for Brad Pitt. IMO, he stole the movie from Leo as he played the far more believable stuntman. I was waiting for the theme to "Fall Guy" to start playing in the background. If you're a QT fan, see the movie. If not, pass. Next weekend it will be Hobbes and Shaw.

11. The Dark Knight

Yeah, that sounds about right! :)

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Went to see "The Kitchen" today. Might be the sleeper movie of the summer. Great plot, believable characters, non-stop flow. Actors and director did a great job of bringing NYC circa 1978 back to life. They even included footage of the old Deuce for effect. Anyone older than say, 50 will really enjoy this movie. Those that are under will get a glimpse of what NYC was about back in the day. Back then, it was called "Hell's Kitchen" and was the backdrop for the famous play "West Side Story" Today, its called "Clinton".

"The Kitchen".... See It!! :)

13. The Dark Knight

Interesting! Glad you liked it, @Cman60. All I have heard about it is it's one of the worst movies of 2019 and recent years in general.

14. Cman68

You kinda have to be a gangster movie fan. Yeah, it was in the female empowerment realm but not in a emasculating way. See it for yourself. Being a native Manhattanite who grew up in that era, there was a lot there for me to relate to.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Melissa McCarthy mugging it up, acting tough and butchy. What's not to like?

16. Cman68

and she was the weakest link..

17. The Dark Knight

I probably won't see another movie until IT: CHAPTER 2.
    [​IMG]

It was an okay Summer for movies. Maybe a little weak.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Finally saw it last night. I loved it. I thought the two of them were great. The slice of life in LA was amazing and chock full of detail and I loved the way the wove the Manson cult into the entire story. It created a real tension through the entire movie and was a constant thread. The ending was spectacular and also pretty freaking funny and creative.

19. The Dark Knight

Rick F***ING Dalton! :cool:

20. The Dark Knight

Forgot to post this, but the final JOKER trailer looks pretty good. I am interested to see how much it involves comic book elements, because it seems like it will be more of a drama and character study of this guy who becomes the Joker. We know Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor, so I am excited to see what he does with this version of the Joker. Early reviews say it is dark but well done.