Jalen ramsey

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets21027, Aug 12, 2019.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I would've signed a CB in free agency and taken Love in round 4. Our depth would be much better than it is now and we could focus on other needs. Also, Beachum is a FA after this season. I'd like to find our next Brick.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Without Revis, the jets don't come close to the back to back AFC championship games. Unlike Revis, Ramsey isn't holding out, even though jax refused to negotiate an extension.

3. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

This is it right here

I agree 100 percent

1000 percent if this was the Yankees

4. TonyFtLaud

Beachum can be extended and wouldn't cost a fortune.
    I'd love to draft a player equal to Brick, I'd also like to win the powerball. Odds are slim of either happening. You don't pass up a top 5 player for a maybe. The WR class looks deep , as does the OT position, but none have separated themselves. Have to watch how they fare this season. I see The Adams name pop up a lot in the forums, but 3 of his 4 seasons have been cut short by injury. Next Brick? Doubtful.
    Just an addition. Mac should have drafted a CB in Place of Maye and a second instead of one of his failed WRs. That was a deep CB class.
    Douglas should have signed Scandrick or Claiborne, both even. Less than $5 mill for both combined. Then this discussion wouldn't be happening.

#84 TonyFtLaud, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not, and I never even thought, much less said that we have to depend upon a top 5 pick every year. IMO it still would be foolish to go all in this year. That would be a move made out of haste, panic and impatience, trying to rush/press things before the team is anywhere near ready.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, I disagree. Q. Williams will be a starter, Cashman is looking like he will be a starter within a year, and both Polite and Edoga have realistic chances of becoming starters.

Asking if Sam will be as good this year as he will be in 5 years is also silly. Sam is still learning and developing. If he's as good this year as he will be in 5 years, then he doesn't have a very high ceiling and he likely won't be leading us anywhere. He certainly will get better and better this season (or at least should), but he should be a lot better next year than this year, and a lot better in 2021 than in 2020.

If Douglas finds 2 or 3 players in FA that can help this team, and either hits on all 6 of his picks or trades down and hits on 4-5 we will be just fine. It will probably take him 2 offseasons to finish the rebuild. That's reasonable and realistic. Expecting him to do it this year and next year with few draft picks if he burns them this year trading for 2nd and 3rd tier players, or burns a lot of them trading for 1 tier 1 player this year is neither reasonable, nor realistic imo. Our roster problem didn't happen overnight, and with the boob we've had drafting the last 4-5 years they have gotten only marginally better, and in some areas (OL, WR and CB) they've gotten worse. It's gonna take more than one year to fix this mess. We can certainly be more competitive next season if Douglas doesn't follow your plan, panic and burn most of his draft picks this season, and is able to add some key pieces and depth via FA and the draft next year.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

So playing the devil’s advocate what if the Jags get fed up with Ramsey and trade him to the Jets for just their 2020 first round pick? A #1 CB only 25 years old would be around for about the next 5 years filling a major need. Douglas would still have Rounds 2-5 for the OL, maybe another playmaker, etc. plus FA. Keep in mind adding a player like Ramsey wouldn’t be just about 2019 and there’s a fair chance whoever the Jets draft in the first round next year doesn’t approach Ramsey’s talent. I’m guessing you prefer to take your chances and keep the draft pick?

I personally can see both sides of the argument here. I’m not sure which way to lean...

BacktoQueens, FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Winning is great and I love it!

But the off season and training camp is long, and I really like having a team with players that I like, admire, and root for. Adams, Sam, now Quinten, and a few others. Anderson, as he matures, is growing on me too as a person.

Having a total asshole that puts himself first at every turn makes rooting for and following the team tougher than it needs to be. I remember the Revis years. It was great having him, but he was a real me-first asshole. A jersey I'd never enjoy wearing.

I guess if your a 'fan' that tunes in 16 Sundays a year, you'd love a Ramsey. But if you follow the team year round, and try and get to know the players, having a Ramsey poisoning the team and locker room sucks. I applaud the Giants shipping OBJ out, perhaps the most fun players to watch, but the least fun player to follow.

Last, Douglas trading for a player like Ramsey flies in the face of the type of player Douglas just told us he cherishes. A team first, live and breathe football, really good character guys. Jalen Ramsey is none of these.

Leicester Jet, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  9. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

NO NO NO NO NO

Just because we need some solid options at CB doesn’t mean we need to sell the future for a nutty star CB. Would disrupt the mojo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

Curious about the Ramsey being a me first player.
    He's played through injuries, showed up for camp, issued a statement that as long as he's with the team he's going to give 100% to the team,fans and teammates.
    He's grossly underpaid, yet unlike so many others , is not holding out or threatening to sit out the season.
    If you dislike his trash talking, that's fine, I think he needs to filter his answers to the press and tone that down, but that doesn't make him a selfish or me first Revis / Bell type personality.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

A secondary being led by Jamal Adams and Jalen Ramsey would be fierce.

And having both of Adams and Ramsey behind our front 7 would create for the NFL's #1 Defense.

CB is a position of great need. He's without question worth a 1st round pick while Sam's still under his rookie contract.

A healthy Ramsey/Trumaine/Maye/Adams would become the greatest secondary our franchise has ever seen.

And with Brady still within our division, Ramsey for a 1st would be a no brainier and with a much improved offensive attack we then become instant contenders moving forward.

Leonard Williams.
    Quinnen Williams.
    CJ Mosley.
    Jalen Ramsey.
    Jamal Adams.

Wow. No QB would want to face that defense.

#91 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  12. TonyFtLaud

The problem is , 2 of the 3 are often injured. Between Enunwa and Crowder, it's a given that we will end up short handed at the position during the season. Look what happened last year.

13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I just dont see him handling the NYC market very well

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Foolish is relegating this season to another losing season just because. Without decent CB play we are likely to suck. Sucking, sucks the life out of our players, coaches and fans. When should we go for it? When is it okay not to suck anymore?

I get that you have bought in on most of our draft picks before they have played a down. If we get 1 high quality starter and 1 quality spot starter and special teams player out of this draft it will be one of Macs best drafts.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

As long as he handles opposing WRs, I don't care much about Mheta and Cimini's opinions.
    Remember reading the same about Bell all last year. He would instantly improve the team and fill a major hole.
    Funny but giving a 2nd or even first for one of the best corners in the league, in his prime, when we have no viable corners is deemed a terrible idea, yet we must trade a 2nd for an over 30 oft injured LT when we have an above avg LT, and will still have to use a 1st next year to draft his replacement.
    I don't get it. Not saying you want that trade but it seems like a large group opposing this scenario are head over heels for that one.

FJF likes this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Teams that don't get competent corner back play usually suck. Teams that get great CB play are usually good. Teams are built around great talent that the coaches put in position to excel.

We had the best defensive team in the NFL when Revis played his ass off for the NY Jets.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the Jags already came out and said they have no intention of trading Ramsey.

18. stinkyB

Not saying he's not a great talent, but living in NE FL, I see enough of him, and he seems like a jackass.... Do they add that to the locker room? maybe having a personality like Adams keeps that in check? Maybe there's an ego clash and it explodes.... but yes, he would immediately would improve the on-field product (as long as off-field distractions dont interfere )

19. TonyFtLaud

His teammates and coaches love him. They are going to be near 30 million over the cap or he would have been extended. They simply can't afford him.
    Bell is headcase, Adams is another big talker. The guy gives 100 on the field , in practice and to his team. In no way does he have a negative impact on the locker room.
    Had you said , I live in NE Florida and I hear alot of reports that teammates have issues with him, he's lazy, fights with coaches I'd think twice. You don't like his personality, his saying things like Josh Allen is trash. But again, that's not the same as Revis, me first, constantly holding out, nor is he a locker room issue.

20. stinkyB

Fair enough... I just see his "vibe" growing as his on field performance rep has as well.... I wouldnt be upset if they made a smart move for the guy