Best safety in Jets history ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by villano5, Aug 11, 2019.

?

Best safety play for the Jets?

1. Rhodes

2. Lott

3. Green

4. Adams

5. Mcmillan

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Ooops....:confused:

2. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

I love Adams but just two years in, it’s far too soon to consider him the greatest safety in team history.

3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

McMillan was always a ballhawk but after his rookie year his coverage skills seemingly went all to hell

4. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

We let Hasty walk at 30 if I remember correctly. Thought he was about done. Then he turns around and turns in 6 more solid years as a Chief. Annoying

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

His free fall was puzzling - tremendous athlete who came from good stock (Ernie McMillian, Cards OL). .
    https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-erik-mcmillan

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Hasty had also pretty much had it with the "7 years of losing" (Jets had only themselves to blame).

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/12/22/...ration-of-the-jets-failure-on-his-sleeve.html
    PRO FOOTBALL; Hasty Is Wearing the Frustration of the Jets' Failure on His Sleeve
    By Gerald Eskenazi
    Seven seasons as a Jet suddenly seemed too much today for James Hasty, the volatile, outspoken cornerback who had a sideline confrontation with a teammate last Sunday.

"Who can deal with seven years of losing?" Hasty asked today, explaining his actions in what sounded like a farewell speech.

He said he was speaking for at least several teammates in his anger and frustration about another season of failed promise. The 6-9 Jets, with four straight losses, end their season at Houston on Saturday.

"I'm at a crossroads in my career," Hasty said. "I've had a good season that's been overshadowed by what's happened on this club. I'm a free agent after this year, and what happens is in God's hands."

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Pound for pound, talent wise; he's the best we've ever seen and still yet to hit his true prime.

Leadership wise? Adams is hands down the best we've seen. He recruited guys like Le'Veon Bell like a dog and celebrated the drafting of Sam Darnold while on live TV at a sports bar.

Jamal Adams is a special player and the definition of a franchise cornerstone defensive leader.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

The safety vs the Steelers in the AFC championship was pretty good. Too bad they couldnt get one more stop in the 4th qtr :(

FJF likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He had a falling out with Walton in 1989 and got on Coslet's bad side too. McMillan was a me first guy in his own way....

10. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Jim Hudson was almost my screen name.

11. LarryAlRalph

LarryAlRalph Well-Known Member

Hudson was also part of a pretty neat story:

Playing QB for Texas in the '65 Orange Bowl, "He hit George Sauer for a 69-yard touchdown pass and helped lead Texas to victory. In the process, he attracted the attention of Jets scouts who had come to watch Crimson Tide quarterback Joe Namath." ~Wiki

#51 LarryAlRalph, Aug 14, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

As of now, I'd go with Victor Green as the best overall safety, but Adams (or possibly Maye, if he can stay healthy) will probably end up as being better. Kerry Rhodes was the best in coverage, followed by Erik Coleman.

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

+1

How about Darryl Ray?

Bill Baird?