We have a CB Crisis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Jets defense was 26th against the run last year.. I suspect ditching Sharon Lee and bringing in C.J. Mosley will help, but Quinnen Williams is still only a rookie at a position that is hard to make a big impact right away. This defense won't be as bad 26th, but teams will find running room IMO

2. BrowningNagle

yup... and Khalil Mack, a future HOF OLB in his prime was there for the taking last preseason too SMH

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Oakland wasn’t trading him inside the conference. There were a few blurbs about it when the deal went down.
    Mosley will be a huge help. Mosley-Williamson is a tough linebacker pair to run on. Both can stack and shed, where Lee struggles. In front of this d line we will be ok. The struggle will be in the intermediate passing game outside the numbers. That’s where we will be most vulnerable

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/08/how...ntial-fixes-for-rosters-biggest-weakness.html

How can Jets solve cornerback crisis? 6 potential fixes for roster’s biggest weakness
    Updated 7:02 AM; Today 6:50 AM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

There’s no question about it: Cornerback is the weakest link on the Jets’ roster right now.

That was probably the case at the start of training camp, when everyone was fully healthy. But now that Trumaine Johnson and his replacement, Kyron Brown, are both injured, the team’s cornerback corps is in a full-blown crisis.

Frankly, the Jets lack both top-end talent and quality depth at the position. Johnson is far and away their best corner. Darryl Roberts, who is playing across the field, is a major question mark as a first-time starter. And Brian Poole, the top slot corner, isn’t a surefire success, either. Then comes the backups, who have just a few hundred snaps of NFL experience – combined.

So, clearly, general manager Joe Douglas has to figure out a way to add talent and fix this part of the roster in order for the 2019 Jets to really have a chance to thrive.

Here are six possible ways that Douglas could upgrade at cornerback – via trades, free-agent signings, waiver-wire additions and more:

Trade for Cardinals’ Patrick Peterson
    OK, sure, this may sound strange at first, considering Peterson has rescinded his offseason trade request and is suspended for the first six games of the year. But getting 10 games out of an elite cornerback is still better than none. Plus, Peterson’s contract runs through 2020, so this move would help the Jets for next season, too. So, if anything, the suspension would just help tamp down what would normally be an extremely high trade cost. The risk is that Peterson just turned 29, so the Jets would be getting a player past his prime. Plus, even with the six-game suspension, Douglas would likely have to give up a pretty decent haul to secure his services. It’d be a high-risk, but potentially high-reward, move for the Jets.

Trade for Eagles’ Rasul Douglas
    The Eagles are absolutely loaded at cornerback, when healthy. That depth of talent means that Douglas is unlikely to have a big role on this team – despite being a 23-year-old former third-round pick with 30 games of experience over the past two seasons. All of those things add up to making him the perfect trade chip for the Eagles. From the Jets’ perspective, he’s a great fit because he’s young, but knows what he’s doing and is capable of being a starter. Plus, Joe Douglas is familiar with him from his time in Philadelphia; in fact, he played a key role in the team selecting him back in 2017. Again, this comes with a cost, because it’s a trade. But the Jets would also be getting a known quantity, instead of rolling the dice on some of the free agents who are still available for a reason.

Sign Marcus Cooper
    The Lions just released Cooper on Monday in order to make room for a younger cornerback. The 29-year-old joined Detroit last season and played four games there, after appearing in two for the Bears. Frankly, Cooper wouldn’t be helpful in the starting lineup. But he’d at least provide experienced depth, which is something the Jets do not have at all right now. Cooper has 74 NFL games and 28 starts under his belt, which is far and away more than all of the Jets’ current backup CBs put together. For that reason alone, he could be a useful addition to the room.

Sign David Amerson
    Amerson was a surprise cut at the end of OTAs. The Cardinals decided to let him go because they felt their other options were good enough to fill in for Peterson. But entering the spring, the expectation was that Amerson would help fill that void. So, the 27-year-old can’t be all that bad. He played six games and started five last season, after playing and starting six in 2017 for the Raiders, too. In 2016, he was a mainstay in the Oakland lineup, starting 15 games. He’s played 74 games and started 61. In other words, he could probably provide some competition for Roberts in that second cornerback spot. Or, at the very least, he could serve as a useful backup, in case injury strikes this unit again come the regular season.

Wait for Browns/Eagles/Bengals competitions to wrap up
    We already mentioned that the Eagles are deep at corner. The Browns and Bengals both seem to be in the same boat. So, odds are that some, if not all, of those teams will make some cuts at cornerback once training camp wraps up. If Joe Douglas stays patient, he may be able to scoop up some of the leftover talent off waivers or the free-agent market. This strategy comes with some risks, though; there’s a chance that other teams could beat the Jets to the punch, either with a better waiver priority or more lucrative contract offer. Plus, the talent available could be more back-end worth, as opposed to some of the names on this list so far, who could either serve as starters or decent backups.

Move Jamal Adams
    Adams said Monday that he’s confident in the Jets’ current cornerbacks to get the job done. But He also said that he’d happily move to cornerback, if asked.
    To be clear, we don’t expect the Jets to slide their Pro Bowl safety into a different role anytime soon; his ability to get in the box and make plays in the backfield is too valuable to sacrifice, at least for right now. But, Adams has proven to be a very good coverage safety, so it isn’t the craziest idea, if the Jets can’t find the proper outside talent to get the job done. The biggest issue with this plan? Having to insert Rontez Miles back into the starting lineup alongside Marcus Maye. This unconventional move would work a lot better if the Jets were deeper at safety.

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Say we traded for Mack. He'd probably have won us 1-2 more games, so say we went 6-10. Not outside the realm of possibility Bowles and Mac keep their jobs, which would have been a disaster. Even if they got fired, we'd have given up a first and sixth round pick so no Quinnen Williams. We also wouldn't have a first or third round pick in 2020, though we'd have an extra second and a conditional fifth. Also Mack costs a lot of money so Mosley's off the table. Actually Mack costs something like Mosley+Crowder in cap space. So all in all I'm not upset we didn't make that trade.

Acad23 likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I think Leo will come close, now that the line around him is sured up a bit and he will be playing more in his native position.

stinkyB likes this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I like the way you think

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

The only real solution to the CB crisis is to await the final cut down day for all teams, and grab the best two CBs we can off the waiver wire. That's not much at all, but better than the status quo. The idea of moving future draft picks now for CB help turns my stomach. We FINALLY have a GM who will not annually waste our draft picks, so let's keep the picks we have.

NCJetsfan and Sam Hammer like this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

TJ will suit up opening day I'm sure. The real 'CB crisis' here is the lack of depth at the position. It's really unbelievable if you think about it. All of Mac's picks at CB have turned out to be flunkies. He threw money at TJ and he's probably at this point closer to a #2 than a #1 CB.

Mac stocked up at several positions including RB, ILB, and S but outside of Darnold a championship team requires a solid LT, #1CB, a go to WR, and a decent outside pass rusher.

I'm beginning to think this may take more than a single off season to fix. It sounds like a broken record...….

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

Mack is WELL worth the draft capital and he is worth his salary. The rest of your post was pretty broad speculation. I'll just say, I disagree, I'd kill to have Mack on this team

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'll try again. Even if you don't buy that Mack could saved Bowles and Mac's jobs, would you rather have Mack or Mosley+Crowder (we could theoretically fit Crowder in with Mack but we'd have virtually zero cap space going forward on a team that has multiple holes)+Q Williams+a non-depleted 2020 draft class? Choosing Mack deprives us of all those things. You can still say you'd rather have Mack (though I disagree), but I can't see how Mack is WELL worth all that.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  12. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well they just went for option 3

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

14. BrowningNagle

Because it’s baseless speculation.

First- Yes, I would rather have a hall of Fame edge rusher than a good inside linebacker and a slot receiver- without a doubt.

But, he coulda cost us Osemale,, or Bell, or maybe they trade Leonard Williams to get $14 mill off the books, or maybe they trade Trumaine Johnson... idk who knows? That’s pure speculation I know and that’s exactly what you are doing with Mosely and Crowder

15. NCJetsfan

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/watch-...competitive-spirit-at-training-camp/309951186

Routes Jets GM Joe Douglas could take to add much-needed CB help
    With Trumaine Johnson injured, the Jets are exploring all options
    By Ralph Vacchiano | 1:20PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets knew the cornerback position was their biggest flaw, even before Trumaine Johnson injured his hamstring at practice on Sunday. They were shorthanded from the start at one of the most important positions in football.

Now, with Johnson out for the foreseeable future -- "I don't think it's going to be months," Adam Gasesaid, "but I mean, we'll see." -- the situation is dire.

Really dire.

"If they need me to go to corner, I'll go to corner," safety Jamal Adams said. "Dead serious."

Seriously, they need some help.

Of course they're not going to move their Pro Bowl safety to corner any time soon, especially since they're not exactly deep at safety either, which means GM Joe Douglas needs to work some magic and find some help at his most precarious position. The Jets do have Darryl Roberts and they brought in free agent slot man Brian Poole, and that's not a bad place to start.

After that they have … well, not much. Undrafted rookie Kyron Brown, second-year pro Parry Nickerson, and third-year pro Arthur Maulet are next up on the depth chart, and if they're pressed into heavy duty during the season they will make inviting targets for the quarterbacks of the AFC East. Even Roberts and Poole aren't exactly lock-down corners, which is a problem in today's pass-happy NFL.

Really, it says a lot that the Jets were counting so heavily on Johnson, who at the end of last season was largely considered a $72.5 million free-agent bust. So yeah, the Jets have a big problem.

"I guess I don't look at it like that," Gase said. "I look at it as: Trumaine is down right now. This is a great opportunity for a lot of guys. Like somebody has a chance to step up and make a name for themselves. I mean it's a great opportunity. When you're a next-man-up mentality, you're not going to sit there and worry about, 'Hey what should we do?'"

But, Gase said, "That's what personnel guys get paid for," which is where Douglas will come in.

Unfortunately for the rookie GM, there aren't a lot of options. There has been a lot of speculation about possible trades with the Eagles and Ravens, two of his old teams, but it's not like either one of them are eager to cough up a starting cornerback before the summer is over. The Eagles, while deep, are dealing with injuries at that position as it is. And both teams know that cornerbacks are a premium position. Teams that have them aren't usually willing to give them up.

And the free-agent market isn't going to offer any more help either. The best player and biggest name available was ex-Jet Mo Claiborne, who many assumed would eventually re-sign with the Jets. But that was before the world learned of his four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy and before he signed a one-year deal with the Chiefs.

So what options do the Jets and Douglas have? Not many. But here's a quick look at who's still available and what else Douglas can do:

- Free agent Sam Shields - Shields returned to the NFL last season after missing nearly two full seasons due to concussions. He played mostly special teams for the Rams last season. His health makes him a risk, but he shouldn't cost much. Still only 31.

- Free agent Brent Grimes - He's 36, has battled shoulder injuries, and carries a lot of baggage. He complained he was underpaid at $7 million last season and ripped into the Bucs on his outspoken wife's podcast.

- Free agent Shareece Wright - The 32-year-old journeyman has been with six teams in eight years. The Jets are probably better off giving their young players a shot, but if they don't work out he'd be decent depth.

- Free agent Davon House - Missed most of last season with a shoulder injury. A decent depth player who is still only 30 years old.

- Trade for Eagles CB Jalen Mills - The Eagles are overflowing with young and starting-caliber cornerbacks, and obviously Douglas -- the former Philly VP of player personnel -- knows it. Their depth took a hit with a foot injury to Cre'Von LeBlanc that could keep him out another month or so, but they replaced him with veteran free agent Orlando Scandrick. There was talk around the draft that the Eagles were shopping the 25-year-old Mills, who hasn't practiced this summer as he recovers from foot surgery. If he's healthy and really available he seems like a good option. Douglas should have the inside scoop on that.

- Scour the waiver wire - You never know who will be on the waiver wire after teams start paring down their roster on Aug. 31. Just keep in mind that there's usually a reason those players are being cut. There likely won't be any starting-caliber corners anyway. But keep an eye on the Eagles again, since they can't keep all their corners. If there are any ones about to get dumped that Douglas likes, he'll surely pre-emptively offer a conditional seventh-round pick.

I like the idea of trading for Mills if no one decent is cut/released during cutdowns. I have no interest in Grimes, but what do the rest of you think about Shields or House? Shields was good a few years ago. House has been pretty good at times as well.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

FJF likes this.
  17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Twice within a week!!! If the Jets liked him enough to bring him back, why cut him again? Eric Tomlinson sucks and is dead wood. They should just cut his ass.

AJW likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Bills fans are as they still believe Allen is gods gift to quarterbacking. Fish fans seem a bit more realistic

KWJetsFan likes this.