We have a CB Crisis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I never said anything about mortgaging the future or making trades. I just feel the roster (even with those weaknesses) is good enough to compete for a playoff spot. The Jets went (4-12) last year with losses against the Dolphins twice, Browns, Bills, Titans, Texans, and Packers that I feel were winnable games with better coaching and another piece or two on the roster. That would be (11-5) if all went well. It is not realistic to win every close game, but with the current roster, that should flip things to (8-8) minimum. Not like they had good CB play last year either. Far from it. A far worse O-line. So if they make all these changes and only manage to go (6-10), I would find it to be a horrendous disappointment. I think that is fair to say too and would make me worry about the Gase era.

PabloJa, Sec124DieHard, LAJet and 5 others like this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I don’t really understand your point and what you’re getting at. It’s giving me a headache trying to figure it out.

You quoted me saying that you disagree with my last statement in my post. My last statement was, “it would be a failure if they aren’t competing for a WC with 4-5 weeks left in the season” — then you go on and on and about not trading draft picks. You’ve literally said nothing about why it wouldn’t be a failure if they aren’t playing meaningful games in the December. They spent $122 million. They WANT to be competitive in December and if they aren’t it is absolutely a failure.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The question is if he's good enough.

CBG likes this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Losing tru and getting maye back on the same day is probably a net zero.
    It’s going to be a lot of cover 2 bend don’t break, make the opposing offense put together long drives and make them settle for field goals defense. We have the tacklers to make that work.

All Gas No Shake, CBG and dawinner127 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OK, sorry, if I put words in your mouth. Guess I was conflating your post with some others. Glad to hear that you aren't advocating mortgaging the future.

For me, it would all depend on how/why we were 6-10. There are a number of legit reasons why we could wind up 6-10. If it were due to injuries or the holes that Mac left, I'd be disappointed, but wouldn't think it horrendous. Some obstacles are just too big to be overcome. It could be due to the young players that Mac added not contributing much, if anything. Unless he gets stubborn and refuses to make adjustments, unless Sam regresses,and things get sloppier rather than more disciplined, I won't worry about Gase. I will chalk the season up to all the changes and to the roster issues that Mac left. We also have to remember that other teams didn't stand pat. They made changes and added new players, so things could go south simply because those teams got better than we did.

Good point that they didn't have good CB play last season, but as bad as it was, it could be worse this season if Q. Williams, L. Williams and Polite aren't able to produce a pass rush. Copeland and H. Anderson may not be able to replicate last season's excellent play. We had a better kicker last season. Unless Douglas is able to find a quality kicker, that could certainly cost us some games. I believe that even Myers cost a game or two last season. None of the guys at returner may work out. Dortch or whomever gets the job could fumble a punt or KO and cost us a loss or two.

With this latest post, I can better understand how you'd worry about Gase. I was against his hiring, but am pretty solidly in his corner now.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry you're getting a headache. What I quoted was
    Maybe it's semantics, in what you meant and what came across in the way you wrote it and I read it. There's a difference between being competitive and "super competitive." "Super competitive" to me indicates that the Jets would be one of the top teams in the NFL. Being competitive just means being in every game and giving teams a hard-fought contest. You jumped to the Jets being 3-8 or 4-8 going into the final weeks. Where did that come from? They could be 6-6 or better entering those last games. You also didn't say anything about not playing meaningful games, so I wasn't responding to that. The Jets could be playing meaningful games even at 3-8. They could still knock other teams out of the playoffs or have an impact upon who gets byes and who winds up with the Wild Card. They could even still be competing for a Wild Card. Hopefully, that will be the case, but with the holes the Jets have and lack of depth, it isn't very likely imo, even with all the other positives that The Dark Knight and I mentioned.

My point is that the Jets could improve a lot and make forwards strides and the season not be a failure. Of course, I guess if you mean that anything short of the SB is a failure, then I see your point, but I think that's too negative and restrictive. So do you really believe that if the Jets play smart, tough football, and are in every game, but wind up losing most of them due to injuries to key players or the holes and lack of depth that we all know are there, and Sam evolves into one of the game's top 10 QBs or better, the season is a failure? Will you believe it is a failure if Q. Williams, Polite, Cashman and Edoga prove to be great picks? Will it be a failure if the new OL coach has the OL playing at a much higher level?

Does this help clarify things?

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yes definitely. Thank you for that. Even though they went 4-12 last year I think they were actually competitive (Miami 2x, Cleveland, Houston, Packers). I don’t expect them to hoist the Lombardi this year - i think that would be an absurd expectation and standard to hold them too. 2020 is my focus on when we can really make some noise IMO, But being 6-6 going into the final four games isn’t a crazy expectation/goal on a team who spent $122 million in FA and lost a handful of games that could easily have gone our way.

8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They would have to trade him by week 8 and you are not getting a haul back in that case

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There's a few savvy minds in here...so let me ask...

What's the formula to scheme around our soft CB's?

10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Knock the QB on his ass before he can find one of the open receivers. ;)

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I like that!...but aren't there a bunch of fat guys in the way?

12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Thats why you need fat guys that are faster than their fat guys! duh

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Doing the complete opposite of what Gregg Williams does.

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay if we had a pass rush it would make the guys back there look better but we still don't know if we do. I love Greg Williams as much as the next guy but to scheme and hide not one but 2 corners its going to be beyond hard. Luckily they still have 3 weeks to get help or try and make this as good as it can be

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Don't worry, Jamal Adams will save the day.

How about that hat, though?

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Love the hat. Great summer look.
    Jamal could play nickel corner well enough, unfortunately pool on the outside isn’t a good option.

Sam Hammer and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You realize those other teams drafted players and added FA's and Mac was our GM. Gase has already had a successful season.

18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

There's gotta be m
    I wear that hat...it's fantastic for the LA sunshine.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Let's not get too panicky here. He's listed as week to week and week 1 is 9/8. Today is 8/12. Long way to go still

NYJFOREVER, FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What are your expectations?