We have a CB Crisis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You got top 10 picks all along the D-Line and a top 10 pick at safety... if those players step it up and play to their potential, you should be able to mask a weakness at corner.

And I say this whether the $17 million corner is here on the field or not

All Gas No Shake and FJF like this.
  2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

its certainly a dumpster fire......

no NFL caliber CB's + no pure pass rushers = PROBLEM. No matter how u slice it. LOL.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Fuck the Pats.
    They could just as well fall of the cliff this year as make a deep run. Their day is coming sooner not later and it’s not a thin limb to be out on predicting it will be this year.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

At this point there's not enough help at the corner spot, you'd need at least two guys. And I don't think the Jets are in a spot to risk draft capital for the future for a win now, UNLESS they get off to a blazing hot start.

So you hope Poole, Roberts, Nickerson can hold the fort down until Tru gets back. And also grab a vet. One of the youngins (Blessuan or ANYONE) Needs to step up now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree with your last sentence. The Jets can have a competitive year, finish 8-8 and it be a very good season for a number of reasons. First and foremost, Mac screwed this team. When he took over the reins of this team, we knew there was little talent and almost no depth. Now that he is gone, there is more talent on the team, but still little depth, and he all but ignored the OL, WR and CB positions. Almost any major injury to a starter will spell major trouble for the team. About the only position the team could survive a serious injury to a starter and still have a chance is to Bell, with Montgomery and Powell behind him. Still, we can enjoy Sam, Bell, Anderson, Herndon, Adams, hopefully Maye, and others that Mac brought to the team. Second, having missed FA and the draft, there is little that Douglas can do to fix these huge problems at this point. He can bring in a lot of street FAs and hope to get lucky, and bring in any veteran camp cuts, and hope to get lucky, but in the end, players were camp cuts by their previous team for a good reason. i.e., they're not that good, or perhaps were once good, but now are older, oft-injured and have a big contract. We don't want to panic and screw this team for the next 2 years by making a bunch of trades now and leaving us with little or no draft capital going forward, and forcing Douglas to have to go the FA route like Mac to build a team. Third, the young players we have can develop. Players like Sam, Anderson, Q. Williams, Polite, Luvu, Cashman, Burnett, Dortch, et al can develop and prove they are good players and will provide a good young core going forward. Sam can prove that he's one of the top 10 QBs in the game, Anderson can show that he's more than a one-trick pony and well worth retaining, Q. Williams and Polite can develop into a strong pass-rushing duo that definitely helps cover up for our weak CB corps. Fourth, Gase and William can show that they're a good pairing and can work well together through adversity, adapting their schemes to fit our personnel, and getting the best out of them that anyone can. Fifith, 8-8 would be a 50% increase in the number of wins, and would show that we're on the right track.

IMO for this team to be "super competitive the last 4-5 weeks of the season, the season would have to be almost perfect for us. We'd have to suffer no major injuries, every new player would have to contribute significantly, every player with the team previously would have up their level of play, and some of both categories would have to play over their heads/have career seasons. On top of that, the teams we play those weeks would have had to have suffered major injuries, and be less than their normal strength. We just aren't there yet.

#25 NCJetsfan, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

What does the defense give up by covering for crappy CB play? Honest question. Are safeties less aggressive? Do we blitz less?

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Nickerson has looked pretty awful in TC and in preseason game #1. If he doesn't turn things around, he won't even be on the team. Has Blessuan even practiced yet? If not, I doubt that he will be any help any time soon, if ever.

8. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I really liked Arthur Maulet coming out of college and I'm glad t----, wait I have no idea who the hell this guy is

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I just hope they don't trade any future picks. Time to stockpile picks, not trade them. I know player for player trades are unlikely, but as a last resort ( a very last resort) I might offer ILB Avery Williamson this week for a quality CB. Jets have lots of depth at ILB, and started off in a 4-3 set with first team defense against Giants. I know...I know...this is not Madden, but Williamson is about the only guy I can think of that the jets could afford to move and get return value in CB. Not likely though.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets could trade Leonard Williams at end of season for draft picks. Draft cornerbacks and offensive line.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

at least the receivers in our division are absolute shit, well besides Edelman, but he never really puts up huge stats in the regular season. Not sure what the Jets can do now.

12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yup. Years of poor drafting will do that to a team.

NCJetsfan, CotcheryFan and tomdeb like this.
  13. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

all these suggestions and possibilities are rear view mirror. jets are getting caught with their pants down at vital positions - CB and OL.

it squarely rests on the shoulders of the previous GM's.

gonna be hard to get a capable player in here now - only chance is a legitimate trade using a future pick.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yessir! Father Time is undefeated and they're going to have to face something they haven't had to face in a long time, a legitimate franchise QB

blackssmagic likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've been waiting for their demise ever since Tom entered his late 30's and it hasn't happened yet. I'll take a believe it when I see it approach.

Vida, blackssmagic and KWJetsFan like this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice post NC. Totally agree with saving our future draft capital.

Cman68, NCJetsfan and dmw like this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's going to take 2 or 3 years of good drafting to build a top team. The Jets aren't close to a SB caliber team yet.

PabloJa, Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

It's the HC's job to do the best he can with the players he has.

It's the GM's job to build for the future.

Rex convinced Tanny to trade the future for the here and now. It was disastrous.

Douglas needs to almost ignore this season and plan for the future.

Cman68 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Turk. I think this is legitimate oh shit concern with no real solution in sight. Trading for a "fill in" that will need upgrade at season end is counter productive in my opinion and will hamper JD's ability to improve the team in 2020 and beyond. Unless we scheme some sort of a bigger trade where we flip starting caliber starter for starting caliber starter. Say DE/DT for starting corner. But even that is more harmful than good in the long run.
    Our best hope is for TJ to be back soon and a rookie to surprise us all and shine bright to keep the fort from completely collapsing. We will pick up a couple of back ups in free agency depending on the health of our remaining CBs but it will do little to upgrade the capability of the secondary.
    IMO, we will be severely hampered in our ability to open up the defensive play book with stunts and blitzes. The offense will have to carry a much larger role and control the clock to make us marginally competitive.
    Claiborne, 4 game suspension and all, is looking better and better but unfortunately too late for us. You cant tell me Mac couldn't renegotiate Clairborne's contract to account for the suspension. But if he decided let him walk, he should have gotten someone else to fill his shoes.
    The two gaping, incompetent massive holes left by Mac are rearing their ugly head. JD fixed the OL for now without mortgaging the farm, but the CB position is a much more daunting task acerbated by unfortunate injuries.
    Fuck it all. We will have to play the season with a hand behind our back in the secondary. Not a good way to start the new regime.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I remember discussing that the big thing this season is seeing Darnold make the jump to legit FQB, and I still think that’s the most important thing. Having draft picks to build around him are more important then a stopgap at CB in a season where we won’t be winning a Super Bowl anyway.

Vida, Imagesrdecieving, dmw and 2 others like this.