Observations of Week 1 Preseason

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Aug 9, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Siemian is what he is. Back up material. That’s what we saw. What a second string QB can do. That’s why he was made available. As with every other team the Jets would be screwed if the reins were turned over to a back up QB for more than a game or two.

That being said I think he is capable of running an offense for a game or two and gives me more confidence than Bryce Petty. That would be an improvement.

Siemian won’t put up gaudy numbers but can prevent a season from going off the rails as long as it’s not too long.

2. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I was somewhat surprised the 1st team D was in a 4-3 alignment on 1st & 2nd down. More surprising was seeing Copeland as the SLB in the 4-3. But he looked good, making tackles on 1st and 3rd downs.

tomdeb likes this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Siemian is decent at moving the chains. He often settles for the 5 yard underneath throw, which is better than an incompletion or sack. But he is clearly a backup QB.

4. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

I'll start with the positive

Darnold = stud.
    Cashman and Basham = bash brothers.
    Ty will be a threat.

Williams looks fat to me.
    Nickerson belongs in the XFL
    Brown and Jones do not belong.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Haha, that made me laugh. I'm giving Cannon some more rope. I took to rooting for him last year, so I'm not turning on him yet. However I do suspect the talent level upgrade we now have on offense will probably lead to his Jets' demise. Especially with Bilal back. All it'll take is one other player proving he can play special teams. I believe Cannon has a big play in him, obviously we all need to see it. Soon.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Never understood the love for Cannon or McGuire. They both seemed like trash last season as well.

“How to muff a punt” - By Trenton Cannon

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No, but listening to his daughter will give you achy, breaky heart-burn. :p

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I want to see more Dortch and Holmes. Holmes looks a lot more natural catching passes out of the backfield vs Cannon.

Cannon (25 years old) is a great coverage/bomber though on Special teams, so does add some versatility.

I thought McGuire had some potential, but he hasn’t impressed.

I don’t care if both guys are cut as their ceilings are limited.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's called "desperation" hoping that Mac didn't waste more draft picks and roster spots on players that can't help the team.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bell can run behind/between Osemele and Kalil. Both are good run blockers. Other teams will catch up with that and scheme to prevent it. Beacham, Shell and Winters (or whomever replaces him if he's seriously injured) will have to step it up.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Saying Daniel Jones looked good doesn't mean much. Who wouldn't look good against that secondary? They were a mess.

tomdeb and abyzmul like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, good luck to Jones, but he only played one series--and with the giants first team offense, and against the jets second string defense. Not sure I heard the Giants announcers even mention once that the series was against defenders nobody ever heard of and who are not long for the NFL.

ouchy likes this.