Jets trade for Ravens OL Alex Lewis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 5, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

They need to draft their LT and C next draft...….

Jets81 likes this.
  2. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

Reports are when Beachum was out with injury, Edoga filled in well at LT. Perhaps he is an option in the future at LT??
    This past draft was loaded with some quality Centers, it was the time to draft one, but I digress. There is still a chance a guy gets cut from the draft that I liked... Cardinals, Lamont Gaillard, taken in the 6th round. They have the vet AQ Shipley to start and a former 3rd rd pick, Mason Cole to backup or be the starter. No way they keep 3 on the 53. I have no problem taking a stab at him on the PS. They've seen what Toth can do, if they aren't pleased, claim Gaillard if he becomes available. I don't know what the 2020 draft looks like for C/OT yet.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Competition for Tom Compton?

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I remember Gaillard and hopefully you're right. You can bet Douglas will be scouring the waiver wire later this month keying on the OL and CB positions...

That was Mac's true screw up this past draft and probably the last straw.....no center. He traded down at least twice looking for quantity in lower rated players instead of simply trading up to secure a center.

Edoga I was thinking more of the right side - competition for Shell and maybe even sliding inside to RG next year if they decide not to bring Winters back. But if the Jets luck out maybe he can be a LT.

#64 mrjet80, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    egelband likes this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I might have missed the joke. Please tell me. :)

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It was a reference to the Kalil signing and his fondness for Sam.

TonyFtLaud and Brook! like this.
  7. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

williams Wont be coming ...They’ll be plenty of competition for his services and it would take probably a third round pick... thats to Rich for 31-year-old left tackle...Possibly Landing spot.... wait for it.....New England!!!! they have three 3rd round picks and two 4rd round picks.....We can’t compete with that..... besides the fact the skins don’t want to get rid of them....But if they do the pats Have the assets to get him

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're right, but I see no reason why even Mac should have been ripped for this trade. Douglas gave up a conditional 7th. If Lewis doesn't make the team, it cost the Jets nothing. If he makes the team, we have better depth, and it only cost a 7th round pick. Do you think the Jets could draft an OL in the 7th round next year that could make the roster as a backup OL? Even though I like Douglas, I doubt he's that good or lucky. Besides we need better depth this year. I think it was a creative move, and at least he's doing something to try to shore up the OL. If Mac was still here, we wouldn't have Kalil, and he probably wouldn't have added Lewis, or if he did, he would have traded a 4th or 5th rounder for him.

tomdeb, jetstopgun and dawinner127 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I agree that "ripped" is dramatic or hyperbole.

I don't see Winters as a "good" OL. I think that he's below average. If the Jets cut him, they save $6.5 million on the cap, no dead money. They'll probably keep him, but I'll be surprised if he's back next year. Lewis not only started 10 games last year, he started 8 in 2016. I guess he missed the entire 2017 season, but he has started 18 of 20 games that he has appeared in so far. The Ravens usually have good OL. If Lewis is healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats out Winters if given the chance. If nothing else, it's better depth, as you said.

10. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

“So how did Douglas push Kalil from a maybe to a one-year, $8.4 million contract?

By the sounds of it, Sam Darnold was the main selling point – no surprise there.

“He’s a big reason for me being here," Kalil said. "I’ve been a fan of Sam’s since watching him at (the University of Southern California) and Sam and I know each other a little bit. We’ve talked in passing in California, here. I just got excited at the opportunity to come and work with him.”

Kalil has been keeping a close eye on Darnold for a few years now as a USC alum. So the chance to work with the 22-year-old quarterback was apparently enough to push Kalil over the edge and reel him back into a football life.

From the Jets’ perspective, it’s a perfect marriage. After all, Darnold was a big part of the reason why they went searching for a new center in the first place.”

Brook! likes this.
  11. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

“Ripped” is probably the wrong description. But I think he’d be mocked for it by some as an inadequate response to an area of need. What is the benefit of trading a conditional pick for a player about to be released that could be had for nothing? (Non-rhetorical, I’m assuming there is a tactical benefit)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I like the move, don't see any downside. When was the last time we got anything out of one of our 7th round picks? If this guy is healthy enough to make the team its a great move even if he never plays. You can't have too much depth at OL.

13. NCJetsfan

The Jets are #3 on the waiver wire. The Cardinals are #1 and the Niners are #2. Either could have put in a claim on him, and the Jets wouldn't have been able to bring him in in that scenario. In this way Douglas insured that the Jets would get him.

At this point, there's not a whole lot Douglas can do. Mac had a LOT of options at his disposal. Mac could have signed an additional FA OG. He could have signed Paradis. He could have traded down in the 1st and drafted a C or an OG. Thus, in a sense, you were actually right the first time. Waiting until this point of TC to try to further address the OL would have merited Mac being ripped. That's being ripped for not doing more in FA and/or the draft and for waiting so long to address the OL, and then it being so little, but not for the trade itself. It doesn't Douglas, because he didn't have a FA period or a draft in which to address the OL. He doesn't want to panic and trade high draft picks for an OL now. He would be overpaying at this point, and no team is going to trade a starter. The only real shot at that is Williams with the Redskins, and the price will probably be too high. At this point, Douglas made a good move and he can also sign a camp cut. Other than that, the Jets are pretty much stuck with what they have thanks to Mac.

#73 NCJetsfan, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    chandler and egelband like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Sam may be the most likable QB in the league.

He'll be downright lovable if he gets us a Lombardi Trophy.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Douglas will want an upgrade. And the $7 mill he can use when he cuts Winters will help tremendously with finding that upgrade

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Wanting an upgrade and an upgrade being available are two completely different things. It’s not a lock that winters is back but it’s not a lock that he is gone either. Not by any stretch.

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Someone is on the hot seat.

I can't see the point of trading for a player that started 10 games (before injury) on a playoff team, a player with one year left on his current deal, only to have him sit on the bench all season long.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You don’t see the point when your backup RG goes down and you have one guy backing up your LG who has played exactly 0 offensive snaps in the NFL?

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He certainly has become a wet dream for Jets fans.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He has good bloodlines. His dad - Bill Lewis - was an all-American center for Nebraska when they were a powerhouse in the late 80s. He played professionally for the Raiders, Cardinals and Patriots.