Most overpaid NFL players..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LF911SC, Jul 22, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I understand why players care about the average per year over the course of the contract but as fans, why do we give a shit about anything more than the cap hit and dead money?

I look at Mosley’s contract as a 3 year, $48 mil deal because in year 4 we can easily get out and save $15 mil. So you aren’t really tied to him for more than 3 years and in those years his cap hits are 13, 17.5, 17.5. Again, as fans why do we give a shit how much this guy got guaranteed at signing? I hope they all get tons because they deserve it considering their jobs and the fact that they could end forever in a split second.

Long story short, I have a very hard time caring that we “overpaid” for Mosley.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He also wasn't an UFA.

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I'm sure Cousins will produce pro-bowl quality offspring. From a contract stand point and what the 49ers and Vikings were trying to achieve, the Garoppolo deal was a risk worth taking that still has tremendous upside and the Cousins deal is looking like a turd.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Wagner is going to go to the Hall of Fame. He and Luke are the best linebackers I've seen play post Ray Lewis. They cover as well as they stop the run. Mosely is good but when it comes to coverage they are on a different level.

Mosely will be in the Hall of Very Good.

#84 101GangGreen101, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  5. 101GangGreen101

Glad to see the Seahawks actually pay one of their defensive players that did so much for so long. I really expected him to go the same route Earl Thomas did.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I brought it up because the Guaranteed at signing rarely equates to the fully guaranteed. I'm Mosley's case it's equals out, if he plays out his full 5 years it's 17 mill per and I'd he's cut at any time before it's the same # $17 million.
    Wagner's guaranteed $11 million less over the same 3 years. A significant amount of money. That's why "I'm interested"in seeing the structure. That would determine his actual cap hit and dead money. The structure will also determine the amount paid if injured. Look at some current contracts and how they are structured. Many have clauses like base salary year 3 fully guaranteed for injury. While structure with a low base salary with large roster and workout bonuses. IMO, totally unfair but hidden by that big, fake guaranteed#. Given that Wagner acted as his own agent, makes it even more interesting for me to see the structure. I'm hoping he got a great deal, he's earned it. Obviously he's left a considerable amount of money on the table not hitting free agency, but if he has the right contract structure, he's mitigated the risk of potential lost future income due to injury, if so the deal is a Win - Win for both him and the Seahawks.

I'm not arguing Mosley's contract. Never did on this thread or any other. I think the Jets slightly overpaid , but they were desperate for talent, were sitting with over $120 million in cap space, he's arguably top 3 at his position, and he should be a vital part of turning this franchise around. If so, you can't put a price on that and he will be worth every penny and could actually be considered a bargain.

So now you know why I'm interested in cap #s. Don't understand why my interest in cap #s is so offensive to you though.:p

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Didn’t mean for my post to come off as a shot at you. I’m fascinated by NFL contracts. I could talk about them for hours, interest in them and discussion definitely isn’t offensive to me. But at the end of the day the only thing I truly do care about as a fan is how that player counts against the cap. I’m not into comparing APY because as your post shows... it’s kind of just bullshit. I totally understand why players care though. It’s a status thing.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. 101GangGreen101

Didnt know about the specifics of that deal for Wagner that's huge. Mosley got a better deal, but him being in FA unrestricted certainly helped.

Mosley as I mentioned is overpaid, but hopefully his leadership makes it worth every penny.

9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Look at it like a draft pick, impossible to evaluate untill after we see how he performs.
    Too high a pick , avg value or a steal.
    Let's hope he becomes a leader and plays up to the money.

10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If Moseley helps us build a winning culture here and plays like he did in Baltimore... I really don't care if we overpaid him. The teams that do care are the ones that have to sign their LB's to long term contracts next offseason to similar contracts.

LF911SC likes this.
  11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

In the situation that Mosley was in, any team not named the Ravens was going to overpay for him. He's a Pro Bowl player that still wanted to stay with the team that drafted him, it takes some convincing to make that player not take less money to stay.

I'm good with it, I was even before they signed him. He's an excellent player in the middle of the field where the better teams move the ball on third down, including New England.

And when you have sucked as bad as the Jets have drafting and finding FAs, beggars can't be choosers.

101GangGreen101 and Acad23 like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

or Bell

13. 101GangGreen101

He's a VERY good player no doubt about it. His ability to get the players in the right situation cannot be understated, and I hope that helps Cashman our rookie LB cause that dude can cover in college, I hope it translates. I am just interested to see how Mosley does in the passing game, will he be often targeted? Just how good is he in coverage? Pats will be looking to get the ball out to the RBs a lot.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think we will both be disappointed at some point because there are very few LBs that can cover the Pats consistently in the intermediate zones, they exhibit that open space better than any team and have been doing it for years.

Mosley from what I have seen is decent in coverage but it's not his strong suit, same with most ILBs. The good news is that we also have good safeties and a DL that may be able to push the pocket enough to disrupt the timing of those routes.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Production?

December was Cousins' lowest-graded month by far for the second straight season which is another way of saying that he struggles when playing in prime time which is a polite way of saying that Cousins carries with him the choke factor. He holds the ball too long waiting for 'perfection' to appear and at 31 does not (and will not) have Darnold's decisive decision-making nor Darnold's improvisational skill set. Last December when it mattered most Cousins came up short vs. the Seahawks, Pats and Bears. .

That Maccagnan was prepared to break the bank for a Kirk Cousins should've been reason enough to fire him.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FYI wagner got 18mil a year

17. 101GangGreen101

Check Tony's post on the specifics of the contract, Mosley still got a much better deal. However, Mosley hitting FA was a HUGE difference. Regardless, past the overpaid talk let's see how he does on the field.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

No he didn't. Mosley got a different deal under completely different circumstances. Wagner was under contract. Wagner is getting 54 over 3 to Mosley 51 over 3 years. The Jets effectively have an option on the 4th and 5th year at 18.5 per with Mosley.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

lmao did you seriously cut out half of my post to say this? I already said Mosley hitting FA was a HUGE difference. Wagner's guaranteed $11 million less over the same 3 years, so is that not true?

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Wagner's contract is an extension. He's guaranteed another 12.4 million this year. Wagner is getting paid more money than Mosley and is guaranteed more money than Mosley. He's 40 million of guaranteed money is based on 2020 through 2023. He is under contract this year. He got an extension that guarantees him another 40 million for 3 years. It's not the same 3 year period. Mosley can be cut after 3 years, Wagner can be cut in 4 years.

Mosley can theoretically make more money if the Jets pick up his option. They probably won't.

Mosley looks like he got paid very well but not grossly overpaid based on current FA rules. Wagners deal confirms it. Wagner is getting more money on a yearly basis and on a total guaranteed basis.

GasedAndConfused likes this.