The Sanchize hangs em up.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 23, 2019.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My take: Mark Sanchez was a decent QB who could have become a good to very good QB if the circumstances had broke in his favor with the Jets, and we all know what those circumstances were, so no use repeating them. For the Jet teams of 2009 and 2010, "decent" was good enough to get the Jets deep into the playoffs which was a lot of fun for us fans. Unfortunately for Mark, in a division dominated by the Pats, Belichick and Brady, what the Jets needed from a QB was "very good" to "near great". Two down seasons followed by an injury caused by Rex Ryan's ego and stupidity, and Mark never got the chance to get to the next level. I wish him well in his next endeavor.

Linebacker712 likes this.
  2. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

The first two years with Sanchez were great. What excitement for us Jets fans. I loved the passion Sanchez had for our team. His bootleg touchdown against Miami was sublime. He knocked the Cheatriots out of the play-offs and beat Manning in his last game as a Colt. Sadly the front office didn't support him with weapons as the receiving corps got thinner and thinner and desperation set in. Nice kid, great fun to watch and cheer on in those first years. Have a good retirement Mark.

3. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

Ignore this message! Hit post and it didn't work, so hit it again and 2 posts appeared! Don't know how to delete a post yet! Sorry.

#43 Cliv Clav, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  4. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

The real question is: Whose jersey does he wear into the Hall of Fame?

5. westiedog1

It was only after the Jets tried unsuccessfully to get Peyton Manning to come here, that the Jets gave Sanchez the big contract or risk losing him to free agency. For Sanchez, knowing that he was the second choice, wasn't exactly a vote of confidence in a young QB by the team that moved up to draft him. That lack of confidence was seconded when the Jets brought in Tebow to run a piece of the offense, unsuccessfully at that. Surely, Sanchez had faults as most young QB's do, but the Jets handling of him was the biggest fault of all.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think he just wasn’t any good.

If you have to put pro bowlers all around a guy in order for him to be above average, that means he’s not good.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I remember trolling Giant fans saying Sanchez was the top NY QB

He was ...... for a hot minute

Sad that he regressed so badly

The illegal uncalled hit in Pittsburgh was his demise and no one can convince me otherwise.

The final nail was pre season Rex stupidity.

But he is rich and famous now, and who cares

Thanks for those 2 magical runs

Acad23 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I doubt that the Jets feared losing him in FA. I may be mistaken, but I believe that he had two years remaining on his rookie contract, so wouldn't have been eligible for FA for another two years.

9. westiedog1

Manning went to Denver in 2012, so it's safe to assume that the Jets made a play for him around that time. That means Sanchez was facing the final year of his rookie contract and would have been eligible for FA at the end of that season. Fear may be a strong word in this case, but without Manning, and no better alternative, the Jets would have had to start a new QB search if they didn't re-sign him. Given the year he had in his final year of contract, it's not likely Sanchez could have gone anywhere for the 40M the Jets gave him, but the Jets couldn't have known that when they re-signed him.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There were several terrific players in that draft that went before Flacco. The fact that we targeted Gholston at 5 isn't relevant to being able to trade down to take Flacco. Flacco moved up boards right before the draft. He went in the bottom half of the first round.

FJF likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Flacco was not a hot commodity by most teams, this is purely hindsight. I don't see why the Jets would trade down, especially if there were no suitors to trade down with. It was a 4 player draft. No one was trading up.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We should have given him a trophy for showing up to build up his self esteem.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

They could have taken Flacco at 5. It wasn't a 4 player draft. There were literally 18 plus players better than McFadden taken in the first and 2nd round. Calais Campbell was taken at pick 50, Jamal Charles who was miles better than McFadden was taken in the 3rd round. Talib was taken at 20. That draft was loaded.

Flacco was discussed on this board as a potential pick.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Gholston at 6. Leading up to that draft it was very much considered a 5 man draft then a bunch of guys with first and second round grades after that. Gholston was a boom or bust but pretty much the consensus 6 pick in that draft.

legler82 and westiedog1 like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I had a blueberry turnover for breakfast to appropriately celebrate his retirement

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'd consider it a 31 player draft compared to Gholston.... THEN they trade up for Keller. I was so mad that day :mad::mad::mad:

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Keller was a nfl tight end though. I didn’t hate that pick at all .

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Who in their right mind believed Flacco was a top 5 pick? No one. You are using hindsight. Did you think all of those players were good before the draft? Or are you just saying that now because of their production 10+ years later?

If you thought they were all good, you shouldn't be posting here ;)

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Not a bad player at all...... but worth a trade up into the 1st round?!?

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

New England picking at 7 right behind us traded back to 10 with NO to grab Mayo. BB goaded us into taking Gholston. After the top 3 the draft was full of good players with very similar grades. Gholston wasn't one of the top 3. It was an extremely high risk pick to move him to outside linebacker when all he did in college was overwhelm physically undermatched players with his hand in the dirt.