Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

By plenty of money, I assume you mean compared to you? Compared to their peers in big time US team sports they are grossly underpaid while the owners compared to other big time sports are grossly overpaid.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

No, I mean they make plenty of money. The minimum contract starts at 480,000 a year for rookies and goes up from there. That’s significantly above the median average income for the country. They play for a couple years and they’re a millionaire. That’s a lot of money to 97% of the people in this country, not just me, but please, go on with your one man crusade to get fair wages for NFL football players.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s not like they are being forced to play at sweat shop wages. They are free to not play if they choose. They can put those D1 educations to use in another line of work if they want.

TwoHeadedMonster and Jets81 like this.
  4. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You seem to have a man crush on 32 owners. Those 32 owners share half of 15 billion per year. The NFL goal is to get the revenue to 25 billion by 2027. That money comes out of the fans pockets. As a fan I prefer a bigger share go to the players or to the fans in lower cost seats, parking and other concession. It's not going back to the fans because the owners are operating their business in a free market that allows them to maximize profits. Their monopoly status allows them to operate their payroll as a fixed cost.

If you accept that the value of your work is worth below market wages, you will get it.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So I take it you're good with predatory monopolies in your chosen field just because you can do something else?

Sorry I derailed this thread. I admit I hate the NFL owners and the Commish and root for the players every week during the season.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

First it was the most dangerous sport in the world. Then, football players just made lot of money compared to me. Now it’s about the cost of seats, parking, and concessions.

You don’t have a leg to stand on, and it’s really making you crazy.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I get it. I pulled the hyperbole card and own up to it. You're still jealous of players salaries and an owner suck up. Own up to it.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Now you’re attacking me because you realize how ridiculous it all sounds and you need to redirect. Have at it, man, but know that you're taking the cowards way out.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I honestly think the NFL grossly underpays the majority of the players. It's obvious that much of the fan base is okay with this because they relate to the players as over paid wage workers and not the owners.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the nfl underpaying its players has nothing to do with the rookie wage scale. the nba has a rookie scale and the median nba player is one of the best compensated athletes in the world ... in fact, max contracts in the nba have led to an explosion in the salary of the leagues middle class

the way for nfl players to drive the median salary up in the next cba is to demand a salary floor get rid of the cap rollover

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Let me start a separate Quinnen Williams thread so you guys can continue discussing rookie wage scale there. By tomorrow we should have some updates from the camp. I want to see tweets, lots of tweets!

chrisrex likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. In the article on the Jets Blog today, it doesn't mention anything about Q getting $100k less. There it states that the issue is that Q wants ALL of the bonus this year, and the Jets want to pay it out over two years.
    I wonder if the lost $100k is the difference in the interest Q would have earned if he received the entire bonus this year.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree with your take on this. I always thought it was dumb to pay unproven rookies so much money and proven older vets got peanuts. The system is fairer and makes much more sense now. The bolded sentence is completely wrong and backwards. Now that first round rookies aren't getting crazy salaries, teams aren't forced to cut veterans to get under the salary cap and can afford to keep older vets and maintain continuity.

The game was better before the rookie cap, but the rookie cap had nothing to do with the game going downhill. It's ridiculous to suggest that the rookie is to blame. That's all on the new CBA which limits practice time in pads and eliminated two-a-days, and some of the rules changes.

14. FJF

I tend to stay out of other peoples pockets. You get what you negotiate for. If you think you can get more somewhere else go, if you think you have the best deal you can get good for you. If you think the best isn’t good enough don’t take it. You will never hear me begrudge another person for the money they make legally

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Great discussion on training camp here! Lots of great info!

PabloJa and chrisrex like this.
  16. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

So much for camp updates...

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I totally agree the changes not related to wages were a big negative impact on the game. I don't agree that the new wage scale was fairer. It's different.

Wages are either collectively bargains or individually bargained. Why should the owners have cared how much rookies are paid if they got the same cut of revenue? They didn't care. They wanted to lock out the players and set up wages as have and have nots to keep the union divided and ineffective bargaining wages for players. It worked.

Why not raise the minimum wage and make it the same for rookies and vets? That would simply take money available to the 5 stars on every team taking a huge chunk out of the teams cap? I think the reason is pretty clear. Having have and have nots in the Union keeps the union divided.

The NBA and Major League Baseball actually have powerful unions and the money is being spread around better.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Shouldn't you guys be posting in the Handbags thread?

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I agree a combination of max contracts along with a raised minimum wage makes a ton of sense. The difference between the two leagues is the NBA is a players league and the NFL is an owners league.

20. FJF

Tomorrow is report day. Thursday will be first practice and all the tweets