The Sanchize hangs em up.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 23, 2019.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thanks for ‘09-‘10 the rest will be what could have been.

egelband and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I couldn’t be happier with Sam but I maintain that if our front office and coaching staff didn’t actively try to fuck this kid up, he could still be a quarterback in the NFL playing meaningful snaps. The way we slowly dismantled the team that was built around him year-by-year was ridiculous.

Either way, he’s going to be great on ESPN. He’s always had the personality for television.

3. FJF

I agree Tanny did him no favors but his biggest problem was he couldn’t process information fast enough. Throws down the middle late in the down and picked off screen passes weren’t because of the surrounding talent. He just didn’t see the field the way a good qb needs to. A stacked team could have hid him but the best he could have done for us would have been qb purgatory.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He had no business being on the field as early as he did. The fact that we had a stacked team around him help him work through his kinks early on but when it came time for him to actually develop, he was stuck with no one around him playing for a coach that stressed defense under an offensive coordinator who didn’t know his ass from his elbow.

Now I think Sam is just a flat out better player that did what Sanchez couldn’t do at that young age with almost no one helping him, so like I said I have absolutely no problems with the way it all turned out especially if Sam leads us to the promised land. But looking back on it, it’s still so frustrating.

Pepsiguy5, Red Menace and egelband like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Sam is also much more resilient than Mark. Sanchez was visibly dejected after turnovers or when the boos came raining down. It’s hard for the team to rally around their quarterback when he walks back to the sidelines with his head down. Sanchez turned one turnover into a flurry. It feels like Sam might come back stronger after his picks. Imagine how Mark would’ve folded if his first career pass was a pick 6 on the road in prime time with the opposing crowd going wild.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I still wonder what could've been if the D stops Pitt late in the AFCC game. There were two 3rd downs they could've prevented the Steelers from converting IIRC.

#6 CotcheryFan, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  7. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

My College Football Analyst

NYJalltheway, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  8. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Thanks for embarrassing the franchise for the rest of time by running into Brandon Moore's ass!

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The vast majority of NFL quarterbacks aren't very good, and I see no reason to think he would have ever been any good either even with better coaching and general managing. On the other hand, he deserved every dollar he ever made just for having to deal with the idiotic ridicule he received from ESPN all of those years. I imagine there will be more of it today as his retirement is discussed.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he must not mind that much. He has signed up to work for them

Leicester Jet likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

ahhh what could have been,,,,,the kid definitely had talent and in my opinion they absolutely ruined whatever chance he had. From THE Sanchize to The BUTT FUMBLE thats a 180 for sure

westiedog1 likes this.
  12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He had the balls to date Tony Soprano's daughter. That alone should get him into the ring of honor.

Linebacker712 likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I wish that D could have stopped them early.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  14. FJF

His off field resume was pretty good

CBG, stinkyB, ConcordeChops and 2 others like this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

To be fair, if he'd as performed to the same level on the field he'd have been an all time great.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Good for you, Sancho.

You were something.

17. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

For good and for bad, I'll never forget the Sanchez years. So close to the SB, and so many turnovers.

In my opinion, the worst part about the Sanchez era was the extension that Tannenbaum gave him. Sanchez didn't really deserve it for play, and mostly got paid for team success.

stinkyB, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I always felt bad for him. From all accounts, he was a hard worker, a nice guy, and just all around a good dude who had his heart in the right place, both on and off the field. Don't get me wrong, I was as frustrated with him as anyone, and by the 2012 season, I had lost faith in him being our franchise QB. I had hoped he would resurrect his career elsewhere, and I was happy to see him have some success with the Eagles (before, of course, he fell back into his old ways).

As earlier stated, it didn't help that Mike Tannenbaum always insisted on tearing down the team and then going thrift shopping for replacement players every year. It also didn't help that the coaching staff seemed to spend very little time on trying to coach him, as they had the pipe dream that the Jets are a "ground and pound" team and the QB only needs to be a game manager. However, the fact that Sanchez wasn't able to do any better than average on any team he was with says that he just wasn't cut out to be what the Jets wanted him to be.

He'll always have the Divisional Round win over the Patriots though. Now that he's at ESPN, maybe he can deliver a double whammy to the Patriots by banging Katie Nolan!

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I will always remember that he was so dumb they had to give him a color coded wristband telling not to turn the ball over

20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

For all the BS Sanchez gets, most of it deserved he did have one of the best games in a very big spot. NE playoff game in 2010 in NE. 3 TD's 127 QBR. In retrospect, that was one of the brightest moments in this teams history. That alone might have been worth the ride to hell that followed.

The Dark Knight likes this.