Jets sign TE Ryan Griffin

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jul 22, 2019.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The Jets agreed to a deal with tight end Ryan Griffin on Monday, Brian Costello of the New York Post reports. This according to sources. Griffin spent the past six seasons with the Texans.

Jets starting tight end Chris Herndon is suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the league’s substance abuse policy, creating a hole at the position. Griffin will compete with Daniel Brown, Eric Tomlinson and Trevon Wesco in training camp to take Herndon’s spot.

Griffin has more experience as a receiving tight end than any of the others. He caught 136 passes for 1,491 yards and seven touchdowns over his six NFL seasons. Last year, he had 24 catches for 305 yards and no touchdowns in 14 games with Houston. His best season came in 2016 when he caught 50 passes for 442 yards and two touchdowns.

Source: http://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/77313/Jets-sign-TE-Ryan-Griffin

Vida likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship!!!!

Gase must have found his info in a folder mac left.

twown, Jets69 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Solid signing considering our roster were Tomlinson (terrible, shouldnt make the roster), Wesco (blocking tight end until proven otherwise), and Daniel Brown (Gase camp body).

I think we need some experience at the position and Griffin is certainly solid enough to be a stop gap. I am glad this got addressed so Douglas can now focus on finding any cornerback or offensive line talent cut loose in training camp.

Longsuffering88 and boozer32 like this.
  4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not sure this signing makes a ton of sense.
    Griffin has a history of drops, missing blocking assignments, and injuries.
    He was just put into the substance abuse program for his public intoxication and vandalism arrest at the draft. Got pissed that the Texans drafted a TE and punched out a Hotel window. He settled the case May 31, could still be suspended to start the season, plus is recovering from off-season surgery for a sports hernia.

CBG likes this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Well .. they tried to sign Gronk, Gates, and Kelce but they were busy.

At this point you get what you get and it is what it is.

I can’t kill the Jets for this

Vida likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

Couldn't have tried too hard, Gates is available, played a one year deal last year at $2.5 mill with just $1 mill guaranteed and could be had for the same.
    Kelce is under contract and Gronk is semi retired until he rejoins the Pats later this season so obviously they are off the table. I realize your being sarcastic there though. :D Should have put Aron Hernandez on your list though. Last I heard he was just hanging around......
    No one is killing the Jets for the signing. But if he gets suspended over his draft night incident, you can bet your ass they will be.

#6 TonyFtLaud, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

agreed very weird signing I am not sure who is currently available but IMO they could have waited for someone else to shake loose or just signed any other warm body for now

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Douglas: "Hey commish, will you be suspending Ryan Griffin for his draft night antics?"

Commish: "Nope".

Douglas: "Thank you!".

FJF likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It only doesn’t make sense if they guaranteed him a bunch of money. I’d withhold judgement until contract terms are released.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

just need to teach him to hit the other team instead of windows

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can’t really overthink this too badly. He’s a fill in for four games and the market was pretty dry unless we wanted to revisit the ASJ experiment. Lance Kendricks? Maybe. But like I said, overall who cares?

I know it won’t happen but I’d love if they cut Tomlinson instead when Herndon is back considering he shouldn’t even be on the practice squad let alone on the field for an NFL team.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I suspect they won't use TE's much at all the 1st four games. Maybe only as an extra blocker in obvious run situations. But I think they'll use 3 wideout sets more and we will see Montgomery and Bell on the field at the same time a lot. That takes up the extra spot anyway.

FJF and TonyFtLaud like this.
  13. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I would have to assume that the CS deems him better then the all other TEs we have on the roster:mad:

14. TonyFtLaud

Ring
    Douglas : hello
    Comish: Joe, about that suspension thing,
    Douglas : thanks, click
    Ring...
    Douglas: Hey Bucky. We want you back
    Bucky: New name is Temuchin
    Douglas: Temuchin ? Great, new Coaches, New Uniforms, new name, your hired.... :p

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

Don’t know much about him to make a comment. Hopefully Herndon appeals and gets his suspension cut a game or two. Just remember it’s ok to break your kids arm and get no suspension

16. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

It’s a fine signing for a 4 game stop gap based on what was avail.

Lol at the guy saying we should have signed gates. It’s well known gates will only play for the chargers. This isn’t madden.

FJF likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

tFan, post: 3836817, member: 8"]It’s a fine signing for a 4 game stop gap based on what was avail.

Lol at the guy saying we should have signed gates. It’s well known gates will only play for the chargers. This isn’t madden.[/QUOTE]
    This Gates?
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...the-chargers-who-are-turning-to-hunter-henry/
    The same Gates who 2 weeks ago said that he was going to play this season even though it wouldn't be for the chargers, who said last week he would definitely be interested in signing with the Patriots. Suddenly the Chargers are negotiating with him to prevent just that....