Training Camp News and Tweets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 19, 2019.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Alright, I'll text you one way or the other.

I'm leaning toward going on Sat if the weather is decent. I got a new authentic Darnold jersey that I want him to sign so I feel like to more appearances, the better the chances.

I have 6 tix...

2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

From Tom Pelissero on Twitter:

“What’s the holdup with the #Jets and No. 3 pick Quinnen Williams? My understanding is it comes down to a contract offer with a bonus payout schedule that’d cost Williams about $100,000.”

Yankjetfan likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

If he pans out like he should, he is set to make MILLIONS in this league.

I don't fuckin understand this shit man. It happens over and over again with players, and I never can understand it.

4. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Sounds like he wants his bonus paid out in increments beyond the life of his deal for tax purposes. Of course if his option is picked up or he signs an extension or second contract, it's a moot point.
    The bonus ammoun is $21.5 million. that's set in stone.
    Maybe there's an accountant on here who can make sense of it.

Clarification. He wants his full bonus before he reports so he can file it as an Alabama resident due to lower tax rates. The structure proposed is the smallest amount up front the Jets have offered since 2011.

#44 TonyFtLaud, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with a player looking to get the best terms he can.

Be smart with your money Quinnen...and don't leave hookers behind when you report to camp.

GreenfiendNYJ likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

You want him to bring them with him when he reports?

GreenfiendNYJ, Acad23 and FJF like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Let's examine that. The SB creates more revenue for the league than MLB and NBA playoffs combined. NFL franchises are worth about 52% more collectively than NBA franchises.

The NFL gets about 14 Billion in revenue out of 256 games. The NBA 7.4 Billion for 1230 games.

NFL owners get half of all revenue, not that much different than NBA owners. Half the NFL revenue going to 32 owners which is roughly 7 Billion. NBA owners get about 47.5% of 7.4 billion in revenue about 3.515. Seems like NFL owners, unlike the players are doing twice as good as their NBA counterparts. That's only if you ignore team valuation. If you don't ignore that they are killing them.

NFL owners profit more than any other owners and their players profit less than any other major league players.

The answer to your question of why on rookies is because that's what the owner agrees to pay them in the context of their entire cap. The owners are simply sharing revenue and capping their expenditures. How they distribute it is entirely up to them as a cumulative amount for the entire team. The question you should ask is why is a good vet being cut and a rookie 4th round draft pick who's not as good replacing him. The real answer is stars create revenue and rookies who owners perceive as stars, just like vets that are stars get grossly overpaid at the expense of every one else.

If you want to ignore how the owners are doing vs the players that's not context.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

This is becoming a real problem. It's showing up all over the league on the OL where continuity matters a great deal. Stars drive revenue and owners are willing to sacrifice the overall team quality for stars because of that. The rookie wage scale which reduced the concentration of the cap on rookies has simply moved to the top stars. Team caps are grossly overweighted toward a hand full of players under both systems.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

....I must be a dumb ass

Dierking and Biggs like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Man, this kid must be snake bit. Can't help the team if he's not on the field.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The way I look at it a hundred grand is worth more to an individual than it is to an NFL franchise. Why don't the Jets just give it up? I don't understand this shit where the player gets blamed and the multi-millionaires and billionaires get a pass.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Recovering from last season’s injury/surgery no reason to be alarmed yet.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It’s the agent not the player.

If he compromises on Q Williams then all the teams know he’s weak and so will other, bigger fish potential clients

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

At least now the real jack is going to stars who fill stadiums, versus a college rookie who's never taken a snap. And FA's that teams like the Jets go after.

TonyFtLaud and FJF like this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You mean like Cousins being the highest paid player in football vs a college rookie who might actually be a franchise QB? Why would you care if the top players made 2 to 3 million less and a rookie made 2 to 3 million more? It's totally irrelevant. The reality is without a rookie cap good vets wouldn't be cut every 10 minutes for an untested rookie who's best quality is he's cheaper and never took a snap. By rookies looking for fair market teams have more incentive to hold onto vets and create continuity. The overall game was better without the rookie cap.

Rookies are being over and under paid under the current system.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Bet you burned through an entire case of gold bonds this past weekend.

abyzmul likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The NFL perfectly set the narrative to make fans feel inconvenienced and jilted when a player tries to negotiate the best deal they can.

The same fans that pony up $10000 for a PSL and $15 for a beer.

Longsuffering88 and Dierking like this.
  18. jonnyd

dude I hadda give up the Gold Bonds. I am pretty sure it was desensitizing my penis. Had a couple sexcapades where I felt nothing at all........scared straight

#justsweatbro

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fuck, I had to drive to NY Saturday morning and my AC went out somewhere between Hartford and New haven. By the time I got to the graduation party I felt like I’d been riding a camel through Africa.

#thestruggleisreal

20. jonnyd

better than a Christopher Reeve penis