RIP Walt Michaels

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by mrjet80, Jul 11, 2019.

1. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

NY Post is reporting Walt Michaels has died at 89. Former Jets head coach 1977-82. Also DC from 1963-72 and 1976. Very underrated coach . He almost got them to the SB if not for Shula and his tricks in the mud bowl.

Another part of my childhood gone....

Thoughts from any of you old timers ?

#1 mrjet80, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. He & his scouting staff built arguably the best roster w an actual identity/prototype in team history excluding Ewbank & he was the DC of thise teams.Those teams played like JETS for better or worse.

Shula really F’d this franchise w his underhanded crap much like Bellicheat does today(ironically shula gave him that nickname).Walt went crazy after that game & cant say i blame him.

RIP

#2 KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  3. mrjet80

Yes unfortunately the anger of the loss caused him to blow his fuse on the plane ride home exposing his penchant for alcohol . Upper management had already been watching him privately. A real shame. Simply help the man in private and let him continue coaching - Michaels was a man’s football coach didn’t take any BS.

egelband and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. mrjet80

You know the Jets had played Miami in the Orange Bowl a month earlier in sunny and dry conditions. Only a bad day by Pat Leahy and a dropped INT by Bobby Jackson prevented them from winning. The AFC Championship game under normal conditions really would of been interesting. I think the Jets would of beaten them hands down.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Walt had a better winning % with the New Jersey Generals.

Then Trump said..."You're fired!"

[​IMG]

egelband likes this.
  8. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Underrated with non-Jet fans but not BY Jet fans. His 'retirement' is probably the biggest what-if in Jet history...a generation later a guy with his issues (drinking, painkillers) would just be sent to rehab although maybe him telling off the bosses as much as he did would still have been enough to get him bounced at the first sign of trouble. Shameful really that he got blackballed after.

egelband likes this.
  9. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Oldtimers !! Wow...I'm in my 50's, didn't realize I was that old....:D

I thought Walt was a good coach. I thought he got a raw deal after the Mud Bowl. Leon Hess was convinced by Jim Kensil to let Michaels go after his rant against Al Davis. The Jets were happy because they thought they were preventing Joe Walton from leaving -- he was the #1 coaching candidate for 1983 -- by making him head coach. So they got to keep the guy who turned around their offense (and Richard Todd) rather than see him leave.

Of course, Walton The Great OC was Walton The Terrible Coach. Players he bonded with as OC (like Todd) he burned bridges with as HC.

I met Walt Michaels maybe 15-20 years ago. It was a game at the Meadowlands and he was seated up in the 300's in my section. Clearly didn't have any great comp tickets or didn't want them. He walked with a cane and was noticeably slow; I offered to get him some refreshments for which he thanked me.

R.I.P.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Walt was a throwback. Today there is professional collegiality between most coaches. Walt didn't look at football as a competition. It was a death cage, grudge match. The alcohol abuse played into it and probably made him seem a bit crazy. He was a really good defensive and head coach. The 82 playoff run was very different than the runs we had with Rex. Freeman was healthy and when he was healthy he was an amazing back. We had a very well balanced team and it really looked like we were heading to the SB with that team before the disaster in the mud bowl. I still think that was the best team we ever took into the AFL Championship game with the exception of 68.
    RIP

Dierking, NCJetsfan, egelband and 6 others like this.
  11. mrjet80

Old-timers includes myself of course ! LOL

Yes I can remember the Jets were worried that the Falcons and Chiefs were going to steal Walton away for their respective head coaching jobs. He was a hot candidate . Ironically it was Walton who failed to adjust the offensive game plan for the AFC Title game after finding out how bad the field conditions were going to be. But hindsight is always 20/20 of course.

Walton and Todd were not even on speaking terms by November of the 1983 season and Todd was shipped out the following February. The face of the team basically changed in a blink of an eye along with the move out of Shea.

I recall a post here from years ago with somebody mentioning seeing Michaels at a Jets game in the Meadowlands at some point in the 90s and offering to buy him hot coffee or something like that because he was having trouble walking around. I also recall that person or maybe it was another person asking him about the whole Idizk/Robinson fiasco on Opening day in 1979 - the whole thumb incident - and him saying something along the lines of he “didn’t want to go there.” Was that you ?

There was a weekly Jets newspaper called Jets Confidential in the early internet days that I subscribed to where Michaels was a guest writer from time to time . He mentioned going to games. This was probably the 1996-97 time frame.

NCJetsfan and egelband like this.
  12. mrjet80

For me it would be a draw between 1982 and the 1998 teams. Both very balanced . The 1982 team had a better defense the 1998 team was slightly more explosive offensively. The Rex teams were not nearly as dangerous no matter what he said ....good teams but not of that quality.

egelband likes this.
  13. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Coach Michaels.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Sad news. Rest In Peace Coach

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

It also didn't help that the refs somehow, amazingly called forward progress after a bone jarring hit on Miami RB Franklin was not called a fumble (recovered by Mark G.). It occurred during the third quarter of a scoreless game. The embarrassed NFL had to put out a press release/explanation DURING the game trying to justify the non-call. It was such an obvious fumble/recovery by the jets that NBC analyst Merlin Olson who was calling the game claimed that the MVP from the game should be "the officials."

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

wow.....RIP coach.

17. jilozzo

Another example of the jets getting too cute for themselves by dismissing michaels and making walton coach. management certainly didnt have the feel of the players - and the jets had some veterans that should have made a difference. barkum, klecko, fields, buttle, etc etc.

and the cuteness continued in april of 83 with obrien.

not a great offseason that year and the hangover from that was in full effect during the 83 and 84 season.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. jilozzo

"Idizk/Robinson fiasco on Opening day in 1979".........

holy smokes - idzik really played QB back then??

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

RIP

Let's win a SB for WMichaels ..a part of my childhood and NYJ

Any Memorial planned by the Johnsons?

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Rest in peace coach.
    Prayers go out to his family...