You think Adam Gase will learn from his mistakes?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jul 5, 2019.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one Brook. We're going to come out of the gate week 1 and beat the piss out of Buffalo to prove a point, and then Darnold will let the world know who the best QB in 2018 NFL draft is.

EDIT: I'm drinking the largest pitcher of Jets kool-aid possible, I just have a gut feeling about this team I don't know what it is.

2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

One HC candidate was told they needed to hire someone other than his pick.

That was said to Ruhle, who not a big winner in college was aked about a possible staff and didnt have a single coach in his bag who had a second of NFL experience. You not only hire a HC, you hire his staff. Ever HC candidate is questioned about his staff. I wouldnt want Ruhle as my HC, over a team led by a 21 year old, 2nd year QB and no one with NFL experience to guide either. Ruhle got indignant, too bad, no one even knows if he gave into what the Jets wanted that he would have been offered the job. Who knows but I cant fault the Jets for wanting some NFL known assts on a rookie HC staff.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets FO demanded a solid DC if they had a college coach with no NFL experience and limited NFL relationships - with a coach who has been in the NFL for a long time that coach will have significant input into his coaches. From the various things I’ve heard and read, I think Gase wanted Williams - he wanted someone who could be “head coach of the defense”. The Jets FO may have wanted Williams but Gase was absolutely glad to have him.

LF911SC likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hopefully he learns faster than Bowles. I am not sure he made any progress at all in 4 seasons as Jets Head Coach. His problems from Year 1 were still there in Year 4.

You would hope Gase learned from his time in Miami, but it is hard to know.

Acad23 likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

That might end up being the best "mistake" he ever made.

Pepsiguy5, Mr mittens and LF911SC like this.
  6. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Well, honestly before I placed all of the blame squarely on Douglas' shoulders, I should have mentioned Mac's culpability in this predicament. Mac put us in this predicament, Douglas seems helpless to do anything about it. But most of all, the facts remain the same. There's NO way this defense will be top 5 this season without adding a corner. That's not a decree of negativity, that's a fact. If you don't have the talent, you won't win. That's the universal rule of football and the Jets have no credible talent at Corner. Trumaine Johnson was God awful last season and whoever they decide to start at the other corner spot? Who? Darryl Roberts? The Patsies ex understudy is NOT a decent player.

As for who Douglas should have signed, isn't Morris Claiborne still available? Claiborne wasn't great by any stretch, but he's a hell of a lot better than Roberts. As for Center, call my post a preemptive strike. I figure someone, ANYONE is better than Jonothan Harrison. An udfa from the Colts doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies. Everyone knew Center was 1A or B in terms of needs in FA. So if Douglas can't at least sign some decent competition for Harrison, then he's leaving the Jets young QB stranded. What about trading a pick next year for say.... Cory Linsley? The Packers just drafted Elgdon Jenkins. Speculation I've heard, has the Packers wanting to rush Jenkins into a starting role. If that's the case, why not offer a pick in next year's draft for Linsley?

And lastly before you go snake shit on me, remember Joe Douglas has proven NOTHING as GM for the Jets. He could be just another Mac waiting to happen. He'll prove his worth next April. That's when we'll find out if Chris Johnson just another failure in a long list the Jets have hired in the past.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Bowles never took that next step, and seemingly regressed in his last season.

Gase, when I saw him in Miami, was a far better tactician then Bowles and it showed every time we played them. Can he improve his play-calling? Let Darnold grasp the offense, then take the chains off and hopefully we see some no huddle.

The Dark Knight and LF911SC like this.
  8. NYJ1970

What? you didn't think I would give him a chance? He'll get a chance just like all the other bums the Jets have hired in the past. But this time I pray Douglas doesn't get endless mulligans like Mac did. ONE chance over say a THREE year span to prove he knows how to draft talent. That's fair.

9. NYJ1970

I drink to celebrate the Jets hiring another sphincter.

Biggs likes this.
  10. NYJ1970

The better question to ask yourself is, "What will Douglas do to ADD to the Jets win total this season?" Or maybe he'll just play out the season with Mac's shit show then blame Mac if it doesn't go right? Sort of like a built in excuse season? The GM's job is to build the team into a Super Bowl champion. I'm so sorry if wanting the Jets to win has become a sin on this site.

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

What avenue for overhauling the offensive line is there in July?

What moves, specifically, do you think he should have made in the last 3 weeks?

FJF likes this.
  12. NYJ1970

one

Well, if you're reading the thread you would know about at least one. Isn't the supplemental draft coming up? What about a trade? There's no way they can possibly expect to field a decent product with the missing pieces they have.

13. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Your complaint is that he hasn’t drafted an offensive lineman in a draft that hasn’t happened yet? Also, using a pick in the supplemental draft is almost always a bad idea because you lose the corresponding pick in the next draft. The player has to be special to make it worth it.

And as far as the trade market goes, it takes 2 to tango. Most teams aren’t actively looking to trade starting caliber offensive linemen, especially at this stage in the offseason when they can’t replace them.

I’m sure Douglas will keep his eyes open on the waiver wire the next 2 months, but there’s really not much he can do to improve the OL before this season. If he gets through an entire offseason, including a draft and FA, without addressing the position, then you can complain.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Winning isn't a sin on this site. That's nuts. You're just not being reasonable or rational. Aside from burning draft picks from the 2020 draft, there's not much Douglas can do right now, and trading draft picks now would not be wise imo. The 2020 draft is going to be strong and deep at the OL positions and at WR, both strong needs. I think the CB class is supposed to be a lot better as well. The Jets still have a lot of holes, and even if Douglas added "competition" at CB and C, they're not going to win the Lombardi Trophy this season. It would be dumb for Douglas to panic, go all in now and burn draft picks, handicapping himself and the team and then not being able to add better players in the 2020 draft. There are still 3-4 weeks before teams start TC and there will be players cut. He can and I'm sure that he will bring in competition at CB and C. If no one decent is cut, then Douglas may trade for a CB or C especially if Harrison and/or Trumaine Johnsons and Roberts struggle in TC or get injured.

I'm sure that he doesn't like the present situation, but at this point, there's not a lot he can do that's reasonable and wise. I'm sure that he is checking the waiver wire, talking to other clubs, and finding out who may become available. He's not just sitting on his ass doing nothing.

Mr mittens and Acad23 like this.
  15. NYJ1970

Excuses, excuses. I'm sure you've got a ton of nonsense to shovel as excuses. The supplemental draft is NOT a bad idea if the talent is there. Once again just another nonsense excuse. I'm regards to a trade, of course it takes two, but if you shop around enough you might just run into a decent deal. And I'll complain right now, thank you very much

16. NYJ1970

Oh, so I'm not being rational because I want the team to have a fighters chance at the playoffs this season? BS. How exactly do you know he's not pulling a Mac right now?

17. LF911SC

What can he do? Whats available for him to improve the roster with at this point? You're going to blame him for his options being dictated by others? Its all about who gets cut/released or offered in a fair trade. All take two to get done. Other than that, trades are mostly made in the offseason and the draft is almost a year away. Hard to judge anyone for this time of the year pick ups

AJW likes this.
  18. LF911SC

Keep it not only makes little sense that anyone would, doesnt fit the mold of what we seem to hear about him all the time. And again, theres not much available for any GM to do in making changes that will have a immediate impact on the roster.

You really need to stop making it out to be a case where if he want to make an impact he can, if he really wants to. Thats so off base its funny

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We all would like the Jets to make the playoffs this season, but unless Sam plays out of his mind, Polite immediately becomes the pass rushing demon we've been looking for for over a decade, and things gel much more quickly than normal when a team changes it's CS and thus its offense and defense, it's simply not realistic. We have to be patient.

The Jets won 5 games in both 2016 and 2017 and only won 4 games in 2018, Mac didn't address two of the biggest holes at C and CB and you expect the team to have a realistic shot at the playoffs this season? Sorry, but that's neither realistic nor rational. The CS was a big part of the problem over the last 4 seasons, but only a part. Perhaps the biggest part of the problem was little or no talent on the team. Adding Mosley, Bell and Crowder didn't fix all the team's problems/holes, nor did hiring Gase and Williams solve the rest of the problems. We all know that the OL is bad and needs a major overhaul. We all know that Mac signing Trumaine Johnson to the huge contract that he did was a stupid move. Some of us knew beforehand that it would be an awful move. Most of us knew that Mac needed to address CB and C in FA and the draft this year and he didn't. We knew that depth at TE and WR were problems. We knew that aside from Lee, we didn't have an ILB who could cover receivers very well. We knew that the CB position was pretty much a gaping hole. The likelihood is that at best they improve to 7-9 or 8-8. If so, then Gase and Williams have done a great job with the team. So expecting or thinking the Jets should have any kind of realistic shot at the playoffs this year just isn't rational or realistic. Sure, we can be hopeful that somehow they are in the hunt for the playoffs, but not expect it. IMO the worst possible thing that Douglas could do would be to overestimate the talent level here, rush the turnaround/build job and go all in on the 2019 season, trading 2020 draft picks for players (overpaying for older or 2nd tier players), and then leaving himself and the team short at really fixing holes in the 2020 draft. He'd be no better or different than Tanny or Mac if he did that. I know it's unusual for the Jets, but Douglas is not Mac nor Tanny. Douglas is supposedly the real deal. Let's give him time to do things his way and in his time, and not criticize him because he didn't fix everything within 48 hours of taking the job.

The new CS and FO give us hope for the future, and most do expect to see better (smarter, tougher) play this season, but almost no one expects the team to make the playoffs. There are still too many question marks surrounding the pass rush, Gase, Sam, Enunwa, Anderson. Q. Williams, J. Polite, and others.

You're also not being rational foaming at the mouth about Douglas and accusing him of sitting on his ass and doing nothing. You're blaming him for Mac's mistakes. I totally get your anger and frustration with this franchise/team and with Mac. Mac is the person to whom your anger should be directed. He's the moron that didn't sign a C in FA, and only signed Poole at CB in FA, when there were a number of other good players at CB available in FA. He's the stooge that failed to draft a C or a CB. Mac failed to make the OL a priority and wasted too many draft picks during his stint as GM. Yes, he improved the talent level of the team a little, but not nearly enough considering the cap space that he's had to work with and the draft picks that he has had. Douglas has no control over what Mac did or didn't do.

Oh, and the Supplemental Draft is not the panacea you think it is. It has been around since 1977. During those 41 years, only 45 players have been taken. In 2013-2014 and 2016-2017 no players were taken. Supposedly, this year only two players are worthy or likely to be chosen, a S and a WR, and there's not even a C or CB in the Supplemental Draft (no OL for that matter). So why are you going on about the Supplemental Draft? That's irrational as well.

Why should some team trade their starting C or CB to the Jets? Even if they were willing, the Jets would probably have to give up a 2nd round pick at a minimum, if not a first and an additional pick. That would really be dumb when the 2020 draft can go a long way towards fixing some of the big holes on the Jets.

Sometimes, you just gotta say it is what it is and hope for the best, and stop obsessing over holes or flaws. Every team has them. I want those holes fixed too, but done in a reasonable way in which the Jets get value and get good players who can help them for years, not some other team's cast-offs that would just be a waste of draft capital.

#79 NCJetsfan, Jul 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    dmw and AJW like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I agree with your overall point, the fans should be demanding more of this organization. the bar has been lowered way too much. But the Jets only won 4 games last year. Its not that hard to add to the win total