Predict who will lead the team in receptions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Big Cat, Jun 23, 2019.

?

Who will lead the team in catches?

1. Le’Veon Bell

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  2. Jamison Crowder

17 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. Chris Herndon

4 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Robby Anderson

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  5. Quincy Enunwa

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Asking because this is an extremely boring time of year football-wise. Also asking because we have a lot of solid pass catchers but no true #1 so I want to see what the voting breakdown is like.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Hopefully not the opposing defenders

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Can we count the McCourty twins as one player?

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Enunwa if he stays healthy, if not then it'll be LeVeon. Robby is a burner so I don't see him leading us in receptions, but he'll most likely have the most yards.

TwoHeadedMonster and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I foresee points point points...which lead to >>>>wins wins wins

Baumeister likes this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I was going to do a thread with all the major categories later this week. Excluding rushing.
    I’ll say crowder.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think it all depends upon the OL and if they all stay healthy. Assuming they all stay health, if Sam has time, I think it will be Crowder or maybe even Anderson, since he supposedly is going to be running more routes and have a bigger part of the offense If Sam is continually running for his life or pressured, then I think LeVeon will see a lot of dump offs. Then again, even if the OL is giving Sam time, it could still be LeVeon, as he catches a lot of passes usually, and we know that Gase likes to throw to his RBs.

Either way, I don't see any way that it would be Enunwa or Herndon. I am really surprised that he (Enunwa) has so many votes.

I think it will be something like the following.

1. Crowder
    2. Bell
    3. Anderson
    4. Herndon
    5. Enunwa

or

1. Bell
    2. Anderson
    3. Crowder
    4. Herndon
    5. Enunwa

8. Big Cat

Do that. I’m bored.

K'OB likes this.
  9. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I think I'm going with Crowder. Look how Landry was used by Gase in Miami with mostly mediocre or mostly worse QB play

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Crowder.

“Predict who will lead the team in suspensions” would be a harder poll.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is a tough one. It comes down to Q, Crowder. I can see Q getting a lot of targets because he can generate yards after the catch. Gase is very good in the screen game with timely play-calls. But man Crowder is so twitchy, I guess ill go with Crowder.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I bet its Bell or Crowder. Darnold likes to look downfield but dump it off underneath. And those 2 guys will be the dump-off guys

13. Big Cat

I just think it’s interesting that all 5 guys have a vote. I wonder how many fan bases you can ask this to and get 5 different answers.

There’s a chance I’m being a homer here, but I think this is a very good thing. On critical downs you can double a #1 receiver but you can’t double an entire offense. I also love how diverse we are. If there’s anything the Jets offense has shown over the last 2 years, it’s that you need to put a safety over the top of Robby or you’ll get torched. And if you do that, you’re opening yourself up to death by paper cuts with Bell and Crowder in the short game, who are also very shifty after the catch to pick up YAC. Then you have the hybrids in Enunwa and Herndon who can win over the intermediate middle of the field and in the red zone.

We have guys that can win at all 3 levels of the defense in the passing game, and I’m really looking forward to seeing how Gase and Darnold can exploit that diversity. The obvious outside criticism will be “The Jets don’t have a #1 WR”, and while true, I’m not convinced it’ll matter. They won’t have the guy who carries your fantasy football team but there’s going to be so much stress on the defense, and I haven’t even mentioned Montgomery or Powell as additional pass catchers in 2 RB sets.

As a parting shot, here are some of the consensus top wide receivers of the last decade:

Antonio Brown
    Julio Jones
    Calvin Johnson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    AJ Green
    DeAndre Hopkins

0 Super Bowl wins. Diversity in the passing game > having a #1 receiver.

Pepsiguy5, HomeoftheJets, FJF and 3 others like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Anderson is getting little love. He was the Jets' leading receiver this past season, and in 2017 he was #2 with only two fewer catches than Kearse with arguably a worse OL. He's had at least 40 catches per season since he's been in the league. Gase has raved about him, many here have said that you thought that Anderson was underutilized/not used correctly, and there has been talk of having Anderson run additional routes this season and being a bigger part of the offense. And he has only two votes, only one more than Herndon. Even though in my two scenarios above I have him #3 and #2, I can easily envision another scenario where he leads the team in receptions.

I'm curious why so few have voted for him. Do you not think he'll stay healthy? Do you not think he's capable of running the other routes well? Do you think it's due to the OL? Do you think he only had so many receptions because the Jets really didn't have many other options? Do you think that it's because now that we have Bell and Crowder, two more proven receivers, Anderson will become more of a second thought?

How many receptions do you see each Jets receiver (the 5 guys above) getting?

#14 NCJetsfan, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Big Cat likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Judging by how Gase ran his offense in Miami, I'd say Crowder. Then again Sam is lightyears better than Tannehill so maybe the playbook will open up more. Either way I think Crowder is going to be given a lot of opportunities to make plays within 0-5 yards of the LOS. I'm going with Crowder with Q being more likely. I think Robby is going to be the most dynamic receiver and maybe finish with the most yards, but one of Crowder or Q will lead the team in receptions.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Absolutely. Not a lot of teams have this type of flexibility. I think you got teams like the Eagles that have multiple targets. Packers have a lot of young talent at WR. You cannot beat the Patriots with a #1 WR, heck you need at least 3 reliable passing targets as the Patriots have 2 lock down defenders in their secondary.

If Burnett improves you have potentially you got 5+ guys that can win 1 on 1. As long as Gase and Darnold view the tape, they should be able to exploit pretty much any defense, as long as the offensive line doesn't kill the QB and they game-plan and call plays the right way. I also think the key would be, who steps up in the RZ?

NCJetsfan and Big Cat like this.
  17. Big Cat

The frustrating thing is that if Herndon is suspended 2 games he’ll probably be a non-factor in that road Pats game. It makes much more sense to try to integrate him after the week 4 bye as opposed to forcing him into a road divisional game with no conditioning or practice.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he will still be there for training camp and the preseason.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Big Cat

Yea but he’s not allowed to practice for the 2 weeks he’s suspended and that always winds up knocking guys out of rhythm. It’ll be much safer to use him sparsely in the Pats game and work him back up after the bye, which is probably what they’ll wind up doing.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Since our OL will be a big sieve, I foresee numerous dump offs to the backs so I chose Bell.