Potential FA OL in 2020 from the Teams Who Had One of the Top 15 OLs in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 20, 2019.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Very thorough job as always NC. Unfortunately, as yourself and many here stated, the options for us this year are very limited. May be a camp cut during the last phase to marginally upgrade our current staff or provide better depth.. Trading draft picks for a C or LT in my opinion is out of the question. The new GM will need every bit of ammunition next year, his first draft year, to make a mark and go after top OL in the early rounds. The days of lavish short sighted trades like that are now mercifully gone. Its time to build the trenches properly thru the draft.
    It is unforgivable IMO that we managed with the last two GMs to completely ignore in the draft the OL, and allow one of our best strength areas (with Mangold , Brick and the like) to steadily morph into our Achilles heel. Not one distinguishing OL grew prominently through the draft over the last 6 years or so that comes to mind. Way to give our potential FQB the tools he so desperately needs.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I doubt that U or anybody else who posts on this board would take my advice & in case it's your life & U should know what U want at of it. A SB win does not count cause it will do nothing to improve your situation in life. :mad:

3. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

well one of the advantages to getting a complete front office makeover is it expands the field of potential FA signings as the newcomers will certainly have a favorite guy or 2 on their radar.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Will you share just one piece of advice? I'm serious. I'd love to hear it.

What if I go first?

I recently started telling my parents I loved them even though these words were never said in my house when I was growing up. It's not easy for me to do this now, but I think it's important. I held a lot of anger against them, but I finally forgave them. I had to for my own good, and for theirs as well. It's been a very interesting and positive development overall. But not easy. So that would be my piece of advice. For those that don't already, tell your loved ones you love them. Don't miss the chance. You might regret it.

Ok, your turn Champ. Just share one small piece of life advice. Please. One simple thing. I'm sincerely very interested.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

No offense but I will pass except to tell U dream of what U want & then make a plan to get it:mad:

twown likes this.
  6. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

This
    I'm still worrying about the Osemele trade. K Osemele at his best is made for the power man to man blocking scheme. Not so much the zone blocking scheme- why the Raiders got rid of him. If the Jets are going to run zone blocking scheme than it wasn't wise to trade for a player that isn't a good fit. This tape has me worried.

LAJet likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's a good point, but I think part of Osemele's struggles was that he was injured, and part was that it was a totally new blocking scheme for him. He's healthy now, and should have had some time to adapt/adjust to zone. That said, if the Jets are gonna be running primarily a zone blocking scheme, then it was pretty effing stupid of Mac to trade for Osemele.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

After the devastating injury to the Cincinnati First round OL rookie, I have become even more skeptical that we might find a final cut OL in free agency to upgrade our line depth. If anything, with a couple of training camp injuries, there might be multiple teams in need putting the position at a premium.

jilozzo likes this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

all the more reason to balance hi round picks and selected FA signings to the second most important unit on the field. something the prior GM's just didn't do.

Acad23 and LAJet like this.
  10. La’el Collins would make an awful lot of sense in a trade.Can play both guard & Tackle..very solid. Cowboys dont have the means to extend him after this season & many expect a trade.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inside...-ot-lael-collins-before-2020-free-agency/amp/

Consensus seems to be he could be had for a 2nd rounder.If im Joe Douglas & i have the CS’s blessing i make that my first major move asap.

Let him compete all over the line.RG & both OT spots.If he can beat out Beachem thatd be fantastic as cutting Him means 8m cap savings.

Collins,Edoga,Winters, Shell,Osemele would be starting 5 heading into 2020 offseason looking for upgrades & depth in a good FA class & a very deep draft class. Not a horrible place to start.

#30 KurtTheJetsFan, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2019
    jilozzo likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Good post. If the Cowboys are looking to trade him, then using a 2nd round pick wouldn't be the worst thing that Douglas could do. Collins is still young and as you said is very solid. I'd do it in NY minute, but would hope maybe they could get him for a 3rd instead of a 2nd.

I have a couple of questions regarding the bolded portion. You don't mention Harrison. Do you see Winters being moved to C? Whom do you see as the starting OTs, Collins and Shell or Collins and Edoga?

12. Yeah..actually it should be Harrison in & Shell out bc technically he’ll be an UFA as of this moment.

Id love to see Winters move full time to Center as that would resolve a ton of issues but not sure its in the cards.

Id line them up like this

Collins/Osemele/Harrison/Winters/Edoga

Id obviously look to upgrade center & 1 other starting spot.RG,RT(Edoga moves inside) or LT(Collins moves to RT & winters is traded /released/moves to center)

13. Ohnoit'sGeno

Ohnoit'sGeno Active Member

Rumor is the Cowboys were looking for a safety. Would you trade Marcus Maye for l Collins. ( if they even wanted him) .

I don't think Collins can be a LT in the NFL , as he best suited for RT , or guard position. The Jets have enough holes , that they definitely could use him somewhere on the offense line.

14. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't trade Maye. That would just create another hole in fixing a hole, so would be a net sum gain. Now if the Jets really liked one of their young safeties and thought Middleton or whomever could more than adequately replace Maye, then I would do it, but I don't think they have anyone who could even approach Maye's level of play.

You may be right that Collins may not be able to play LT in the NFL. I really liked him coming out of college and thought he could be our LT, but I haven't kept up with him as I absolutely hate the Cowboys, so he may be better suited to RT or RG. I think he would be a clear upgrade over Shell, and perhaps Shell could move inside to OG or be the backup RT.

15. NCJetsfan

I'd rather see Winters cut. They can save $6.5 million on the cap with no dead money. He just isn't that good and can't seem to stay healthy. Even though he played all 16 games last season, he was banged up and not that effective. The previous two seasons he missed 3 games each. The year before that (2015) he played in all 16 games, but only started 10. In 2014 he only played in 6 games. In his rookie season (2013) he started 12 games but appeared in all 16. I also am not nearly as sure that he can play center as you are. The Jets abandoned that experiment, so he must not have handled it that well.

Unless Harrison surprises, between FA and the draft, I think Douglas will be looking for a new starting LT, a new starting C, and a new starting RG at a minimum next season

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

When it comes to OL, maybe next year is the better bet.

As it stands, Jets are about a shade below $30M under the cap as of right now. Next year, that room balloons to about $44M again. With that, and the first two rounds of the draft, Jets can shore up the entire OL - that is, if the CS deems none of the OL serviceable. They won't.

Then, the next three years' draft will have to feature OL in day 1 or day 2 picks, with a plan to replace the FA acquisitions in due time.

If anything, Jets do have 10+M contracts in their cap structure, but they are only handful. Either because Mac did such a good job of cap management, or because in general Jets talent pool is that much pitiful. I think it's both. [Jets have very low dead money amount as well - some teams, like Browns, have 20+M tied up in dead money this year alone.]

17. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Other than finding a way to nab Darnold (coincidental or not) managing the cap was probably the best thing Mac did while GM for the Jets. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until this past draft when he just lost me period. The current talent level on the OL is just awful and I was expecting it to be fixed this past off season - at least the majority of the OL.

Douglas will have his work cut out for him but at least he officially acknowledged the work needed on the OL. That’s a start ...

18. Zach likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Cowboys are trying to win now. I don’t see them trading him before the season starts.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Gimme

NCJetsfan likes this.