Talk me off the ledge re Gase and his use of RB’s

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tooooon, Jun 20, 2019.

1. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

By almost all accounts he buried both Ajayi and Drake for inferior RB’s. Plus the apparent remarks about not wanting to sign Bell. Convince me why it will be different with his use of Bell this year, aside from “he said so.” I want to believe it but I’m very skeptical.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Even if Gase benched Bell and never played him a single down in 2019, I would not consider it "Ledge Worthy". It's just football. Don't worry too much! ;)

Brook! likes this.
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm less concerned with how Gase uses Bell than whether Bell shows up anywhere close to his former self. Hope that helped. :p

Jake likes this.
  4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The only thing I could say is that it's not like he doesn't like Bell the player, he just didn't want to spend big bucks on a running back. Now that he has Bell for the next 4 years I'm sure he will take advantage of his abilities. Also Gase is on his second HC job & I am sure he has taken a look in the mirror and see what he did or didn't do while in Miami that he can improve on as a HC.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna try to convince you of anything, but rather will just state why I think things will be different, and weren't as bad with the Dolphins as you make it seem.

One, we don't know exactly what went down with the Dolphins and why Gase made the decisions he did regarding the RB position. Frank Gore isn't an inferior RB. Yes, he's not what he once was, but is still fundamentally sound and productive. Perhaps Ajayi and Drake didn't know the playbook, missed assignments, dogged it in practice, made too many mistakes, dropped passes, fumbled, missed blocks on blitzes, etc. There could have been very good reasons for Gase handling the RB position the way he did. Then again, maybe not. Part of the reason could have been the QB and OL that he had to work with. I don't think we will know all the reasons for his decisions in Miami, so I'm not going to bias my assessment of his job as the Jets' HC by what he did or didn't do in Miami. I'm going to take a wait and see approach as to how he handles the Jets' RB position.

With Bell, Powell and Montgomery at RB, it would be very difficult for Gase or even Bowles and Bates for that matter, to screw it up. All three are excellent receivers as well as good runners, and I know that Powell is great at picking up blitzes. I don't know about Bell and Montgomery's blocking. I know that Montgomery got in trouble in GB for not following orders. Hopefully, he learned his lesson and will be more disciplined here. Even using them in a more conservative, traditional manner, they should be very productive and help Sam a lot. I don't expect Gase to do that, however. I think that they will be sent out into patterns, used in screens, perhaps used in pairs in the backfield and used creatively to create match-up problems for opposing Ds.

I'm actually more worried about the OL and how they might limit the RB's effectiveness, and the options that Gase has at his disposal.

#5 NCJetsfan, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Attackett, NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

None of them are the talent Bell is.
    Not worried in the least about this

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Gase likes his RB's to try and not do too much when running. Drake had a lot of runs for negative yards trying to be too cute. While he was the more explosive player over Gore, with Gore you knew what you was getting, a guy who is strictly a North/South runner. With Ajayi, after that big year he seemed to be trying fit the home run plays too much and it irked Gase.

8. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

It’s fine don’t stress.

As long as Bell is healthy and motivated (Ahem Trumaine) it will be fine

The only worry for me is bad OL, plus delayed running style, will mix like oil and water.

Otherwise

The Gaseness monster will use him for sure.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I think Gase sent those two women to Bell's apartment to sleep with him and then steal his jewelry. That's Gase's way of rebelling against MacCagnan signing Bell. I heard Gase then eventually gave all the jewelry back to Bell, save the Rolex.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

How did he bury Ajayi? He was traded to the Eagles in 2017. In 7 games for the Dolphins he had 138 carries. In 7 games for the Eagles he had 70 carries.

Drake split carries with Gore in 2017 and Drake's catches went up dramatically in 2018. Drakes total yards and touches went up in 2018 from 2017.

He didn't bury either one of them. All accounts should be immediately closed. They were hacked.

#11 Biggs, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  12. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I mean if hes going to ignore using a top 3 runningback talent-wise then he is completely dumb. Bell alone is a difference maker to help us win games and the media here will crush him if we lose a game in the 4th Quarter and Bell isn't in the game.

With that said, I assume he won't use him like a workhorse like Pittsburgh did though and that might not necessarily be a bad thing. I think we see a lot of 2 runningback sets with Montgomery and Powell. I believe those two will get about 8-10 touches a game between them, which might save Bell in the long term as it would probably be better that we get 3-4 years out of him rather than 2.

13. The beauty of Bell is he can literally help any offense even if hes an afterthought as a conventional RB in certain schemes.If hes being primarily used for blocking,great hes one of the best at blitz pick ups as well as chipping.

If the offense is pass first & looks to exploit match ups,Bell’s a match up nightmare in the slot as well as out of the backfield.

It doesnt matter what Gase wants out of his RBs..unless we’re flat out saying he doesnt like patient backs or something to do w Bell’s running style,Bell is top notch in all RB facets.

14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Ajayi + drake still not > lev therefore it’s irrelevant as a comparison.

Feel better?

FJF likes this.
  16. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Ajayin had his career year under Gase after being a mediocre back. Its been reported that he was a pain in the ass who didnt buy into Gases coaching and was a bad locker room problem. Bye.
    Drake led the team in touches. For someone who had similar if not better numbers. Why do people keep saying he was buried?
    Then again, he never said he didnt want to sign Bell. He said that he didnt want to overspend on a RB. The Jets didnt.

Biggs and FJF like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Hum, let me think this one out for a minute. Gase is one smart football guy with superior Xs and Os and game planning who didn't put up with Ajayi's BS. He is hungry to field a winner and show the world of the NFL that Miami was just a combination of factors going wrong with no help from above. He is 100% focused on winning and obsessed with a dynamic high tempo offense.
    He now has the FQB in the making to mold a brand new game plan of his liking. He has arguably a top 4 RB with top catching ability. Don't you think he will turn hell upside down to create constant mismatches with Bell.
    I'm worrying about our CB and our paper thing OL. The rest I'm stoked about.
    Bell migh be overpaid in Gase's mind, but he will not be under played. Least of our worries. Save the ledge for the CB play if we don't beef it up some.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.