A Competent Front Office Being Built?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

It kinda works both ways though. The downtrodden will say I told you so if the jets lose. The optimistic will say it if they win. I just know that I’d rather not be miserable about it while waiting to find out. To each their own, though.

2. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

I agree the optics are better and that some of the negotiation to hire Douglas may have been over budget for the department. For the naysayers, I in part agree on no need for coronations. My title has a question mark and my post states

"The hires of Hogan and Alexander are promotions for each guy and time will tell how they adjust to their new roles."

but I will say it looks like a guy with a plan and the hires seem to be people who are qualified. We haven't always been able to speak of highly qualified people in the past. I am coming in on nearly fifty years of fandom and even tried to release my son from his Jets fandom a few years back, I was talking to him about hope being a terrible thing for Jets fans. Through the years I can not begin to think of the number of times I had hope only for Lucy to pull the ball away from Charlie Brown again. (Youngsters you may have to look that reference up) For some it is less painful to be pessimistic but I see that ball being held to kick again and I am starting my approach!

boozer32 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've been a darksider for years, and the Jets have "earned" my distrust, but I can also see when they've done something right, and beginning with the firing of Macc, they've begun to do something right. Hiring Douglas who would've been the #1 choice of every other team looking for a GM, and not cheaping out when he demanded more, is also another positive step. The hires that Douglas has done since further cements my optimism.

Yes, until they win, the jury is out, but while we're waiting, it costs the same to be optimistic or pessimistic, and I'm tired of being the latter.

KurtTheJetsFan, BudJet, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

This is exactly what the Colts did. 2 years later. Super Bowl contender.

5. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The current ownership seems to have wakened up ( fingers crossed ) But it is up to ownership to address these problems such as scouting and getting the right players in here. It looks like Chris ran out of patience with Mac with this past draft being the cherry on the sundae.

You can't win without a steady influx of good players and it appears the front office/scouting dept is getting a facelift.

fingers crossed......

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm cautiously optimistic that the team is finally building a FO the right way.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Hackenberg

Hackenberg Active Member

When the nfl makes absolutely sure that a pic of Gase ,looking like a wild eyed loon at a press conference, goes viral. Its' a distinct sign that nothing will change.

8. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

The Jets are on a good path...

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep... Time will tell if the Jets finally got it right when it comes to FO stability.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nobody has to say I told you so when failure is the norm. You just point to the Jets and say "yep they're still the Jets."

Then once a decade they overachieve and give people enough hope to keep pretending they'll someday be something more than what they have been for half a century.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. And yet, here we all are. 10,20,30,40,50 years later. It’s madness.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So book the coronation for mid October then?

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Nobody knows how this will ultimately end up. In the NFL (or in any other league...or in life) you can do everything right and still not achieve the ultimate goal. But right now I think we've assembled the most football savvy and intelligent front office and coaching staff we've had in a while plus we're pairing them with a young QB who works hard, has a high football IQ, and his upside is that he can be great. It's a major plus when all these things converge at once

14. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

The good thing is that it seems like there is finally some aggression and passionate personalities in the front office and on the coaching staff. For nearly two decades, we've had guys who have a combination of passive-aggressive non-cooperation, everyone covering their own asses, and a cautiousness that's been downright cowardly. We've got a bunch of strong personalities, but it seems we have football guys now. There will probably be fights and a tense atmosphere often, but with that spirit comes competitiveness. With Mac, Idzik, Tannenbaum, Bradway, and the rest of the ilk since Parcells left, this team has been run like an emotionless office job rather than a professional football team.

15. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m stoked “on paper”

Seems like a monster off season for my Jets

Between talent acquisition, coaching acquisition, and front office acquisition. We seem to be making sense for the first time in a long time.

But what do I know. I admit I’m wrong a lot.

I pray this is the start of 20 years of success for the New York Jets franchise.

One can hope

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

On paper everything looks to be pointing in the right direction. However we all know that the NFL is measured by one thing and that is winning games. Not just regular season games but playoff games. I truly hope that this is a turning point for the Jets and that they prove it by kicking some major ass in December, January and February. Then @championjets69 can reset his SB counter to zero because that my friends will be a glorious day for us all. :D

Cman68, NCJetsfan and Acad23 like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's not madness, it's the illuminati brainwashing us with subliminal imagery. Hackenberg will tell you.

Jets81 likes this.
  18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I thought he was released from his ban shackles awhile ago. This post however is a great interpretation of what he would say byz. :rolleyes:

And damn as soon as I post this ^^^^^^ I see that he posted in another thread.

#38 Baumeister, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If somehow they do manage to put together a functional and effective FO staff, it will be the start of an entirely new chapter in the Johnson Ownership Saga.