Potential FA OL in 2020 from the Teams Who Had One of the Top 15 OLs in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 20, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I’m excited and curious to see how Douglas will go about fixing the OL next offseason. There’s potentially a very strong and deep FA class of OL and a strong draft class. There are both “older” vets who are 30 and over who are some of the best OL in the NFL, and quite a few in their mid-to-late 20s who are very good as well. Of course, a number of these, perhaps many, if not most, will never make it to FA, but some undoubtedly will due to age and size of contract or because their team has cap problems. It will be interesting to see if Douglas focuses only on younger FAs, or if he opts to sign an “older” veteran who can still play at a high level for another year or two. I hope that he will focus on younger, cheaper FAs who could give us 5 or more years potentially, but if he opts to go with an older vet as a stopgap for a year or two, that will be fine as well.

According to PFF the top 15 OLs in 2018 were as follows:
    1. Steelers
    2. Browns
    3. Patriots
    4. Saints
    5. Eagles
    6. Colts
    7. Rams
    8. Packers
    9. Bears
    10. Falcons
    11. Chiefs
    12. Cowboys
    13. Titans
    14. Ravens
    15. Forty-Niners

Hopefully, the Jets can sign some players from those teams who will make it to FA. In addition, Douglas will know the abilities of the OL on the Eagles who will be FAs, Alexander will know the abilities of the Ravens who make it to FA, and Hogan will know the abilities of the Colts FA OL.

Following is a list of some OL who are either one of the top OL in the NFL, or who played on or was a backup for one of the 15 teams with the best OLs in 2018 who could become UFAs next offseason. Too bad Mac didn’t sign Paradis. He was ranked 12th by PFF.

Joe Staley, LT (34) Forty-Niners (one source said that he will be a FA, but Spotrac doesn’t list him, so I’m uncertain of his status. Starter. He was ranked 8th by PFF.

Rodney Hudson, C (31) Raiders. Starter. He was ranked 9th by PFF.

Andrew Whitworth, LT (38) Rams. Starter. He was ranked 11th by PFF.

Anthony Castonzo, LT (32) Colts. Starter

La’el Collins, RT (27) Cowboys. Starter.

Mike Pouncey, C (31) Chargers. Starter

Greg Robinson, LT (27) Browns. Starter.

Bryan Bulaga, RT (31) Packers. Starter.

Jason Peters, LT (38) Eagles. Starter

Daryl Williams, RT (28) Panthers. Starter

J.C. Tretter, C (29) Browns. Starter.

Brandon Scherff, OG (28) Redskins. Starter

Clint Boling, OG (31) Bengals. Starter

Jack Conklin, RT (26) Titans. Starter

George Fant, T (28) Seahawks. Backup

B.J. Finney, C (28) Steelers. Backup.

Andrus Peat, OG (26) Saints. Starter

Mike Iupati, OG (33) Seahawks. Starter

Michael Schofield, RG (29) Chargers. Starter

Joshua Garnett, RG (26) 49ers. Backup.

Germain Ifedi, RT (26) Seahawks. Starter

Evan Boehm, OG (27) Colts. Backup.

Kevin Pamphile, RG (29) Titans. Starter

Jason Spriggs, T (26) Packers. Backup, potential Starter.

Cody Whitehair, C (28) Bears. Starter

Brian Schwenke, C/RG (29) Patriots. Backup

Xavier Su’a-Filo, OG (29) Cowboys. Backup/Starter?

Joe Thuney, LG (27) Patriots. Starter.

Le’Raven Clark, RT (27) Colts. Backup

John Wetzel, OT (29) Falcons. Backup LT?

Jerald Hawkins, OT (26) Steelers. Backup.

Alex Lewis, LG (26) Ravens. Starting LG, backup C.

James Ferentz, C (31) Patriots. Backup.

Josh Andrews, OG (29) Colts. Backup

Joe Haeg, OG (27) Colts. Backup

2. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

Yes.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

The Colts used the draft to catapult to #6 last year from #25 the year before. I'm hoping Douglas and Hogan follow that blueprint of acquiring more picks to bolster the line. Bringing in a high priced FA was Macc's schtick since he couldn't draft for shit.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think most of that list won't shake free, but hopefully a few will and the Jets can sign one or two.

amuck57, mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I agree, especially as valuable as good OL are. Some will for one reason or another, and I think having a draft that is considered deep and strong for OL will help some of them shake free as some teams will want or need to go younger and cheaper.

I definitely hope that the Jets can sign one or two.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Me thinks U have way, way to much time on your hands & assuming U R not a millionaire or not even close to be one U should find something that will improve your life rather then wasting your time look up OLman for 2020 is my HO:mad:

abyzmul and joe like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This is when you know the season needs to start. I'm imagining based of JD's comments that OL will be a big priority for him in 2020, but we gotta make it through 2019 first.

EDIT: Only 80 days left :D

8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Champ, let’s hear your top 5 life-improving activities for non-millionaires. I smell a book deal.

9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I would be happy if the Jets can sign just one of those guys - one of the guys still in their 20s and a starter that is. Conklin sure would be a nice addition. Draft another OL high - hopefully first round. I'm sure at the moment center is probably the top priority for Douglas as far as OL goes.....

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd say the OT's are just as big of a priority given that our starters are gonna be FA's after next season and aren't very good anyway.

11. mrjet80

Yes but as of now I wouldn't be surprised to see Douglas swing a deal for a center. That to me is urgent. Harrison is a decent back -up not a starter. This off season the focus will switch to the tackle spots especially LT as it will be a gaping hole assuming they move on from Beechum.

Re-checking the list don't be surprised to see one or maybe two of the back-ups from the Colts being pursued also.....OL could use depth too the current back-ups are barely NFL quality. If those linemen are any good Hogan would know obviously.

#11 mrjet80, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Good Post by NC but I want to see some moves by our newly minted FO right now..especially between TC in July and September 1st

CBG likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I think that Douglas will look to sign a camp cut. I'd be surprised if he trades for a C. One, we really don't have any capital or spare parts that could be used to trade for a C other than draft picks, and two, I'd be surprised if he trades away a draft pick or picks and leaves himself without a full compliment of picks for his first draft as Jets' GM, especially one that is going to be deep with OL talent, and the Jets have other needs (WR, CB, and possibly edge rusher).

Leicester Jet likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I would love to see some help before the season starts, but think we'll be limited to camp cuts. If you were a new GM, would you trade away draft picks for your first draft and leave yourself without a full complement of picks? I wouldn't. That sets a bad precedent, especially for a GM who plans to build through the draft. So if he doesn't trade draft picks, who is he going to trade, and who is he going to trade for? Do you know of any team that has the problem of too many Cs or CBs? I don't, and don't think any team is going to trade its starting center or backup or one of its starting CBs. We might could add some depth at CB.

I think we might see the Jets sign Mo Claiborne and maybe a camp cut at both C and CB; other than that, I think the team is pretty much set for this year. That's why the timing of Douglas' hiring hurts.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Staley was just extended by the 49s a couple of weeks ago for 2 additional years so he's not going to be available.
    The Raiders are in negotiations with Hudson's agent currently trying to get an extension done.
    Withworth almost retired last season, if anything, he may give it one more season with the Rams if this year goes well.
    But lots of intriguing names on that list.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Personally if I were GM and during evaluation of the team I found a need on the O line, I would definitely be looking for a potential trade to upgrade.
    If my QB gets seriously injured, my job as GM just became a whole lot more difficult.

17. NCJetsfan

I hear ya, but think our options are very limited for this year in terms of upgrades or additions to our roster. We all know our OL needs major attention.

Next year, unless Harrison proves to be a revelation at C, we could be looking for 4 new starting OL. Both Beacham and Shell will be FAs. Hopefully, we would only re-sign Beacham as a backup. Shell would ideally only be a backup as well. Winters needs to be replaced. He can be cut prior to June 1 and the Jets can save $7.5 million on the cap with no dead money. It's fun to think about signing some of the top OL I listed, but I doubt that we'll be able to afford to unless some of those older players will be cheaper. Boling, Collins, Iupati, Schofield, Pamphile, Su'a-Filo, and Spriggs are not making that much, so perhaps we could sign a couple of them if they make it to FA. Alex Lewis or Joe Thuney might be really good signings, but they may not make it to FA. Ideally, I'd like to sign at least one OT, one OG and a C, but opportunities at the C position look limited.

Around 27-28 of the Jets who are likely to make the team this year will be FAs next offseason including Leonard Williams, Robbie Anderson, Brian Poole, Chandler Catanzaro, Trevor Siemian, Brandon Copeland, Neville Hewitt, Rontez Miles, Ty Montgomery, Daniel Brown, Jordan Jenkins, Jeremy Clark, Brandon Shell, Lachlan Edwards, Charone Peake, Deontay Burnett, Ben Braden, Frankie Luvu, Doug Middleton, and Thomas Hennessy. That's our two starting OTs; a starting DE; one of our top WRs; our slot CB; our K, P & LS; our top backup OLB and our top backup ILB; our backup QB, perhaps the top backup RB and possible Return man; and an assortment of STs and depth-type players.

As of right now, the Jets will have $46,401,868 in cap space. If you add in players unlikely to make the team this year, you can probably add around $13 million to that total. They can create some additional cap space by cutting Winters ($7.5 million, $0 dead money), Avery Williamson ($6.5 million, $2 million dead money), Daryl Roberts ($6 million, $0 dead money), Josh Bellamy ($2.25 million, $0 dead money), Trumaine Johnson ($3 million, $12 million dead money), Kelechi Osemele ($11.7 million, $0 dead money), Jonotthan Harrison ($2.25 milion, $0 dead money), Marcus Maye ($1,358,730, $726,638 dead money), Tarell Basham ($777,500, $0 dead money), and Nathan Shepherd ($571,070, $493,860 dead money) but that would leave them needing to find another starting ILB, LG, #2 CB, #1 CB, starting LG, starting C, and starting FS, and a top STs player. Unless Osemele isn't healthy or struggles, he almost certainly will be back and probably extended. I doubt that they'd take that much of a dead money hit with Johnson unless his play this season is as bad as last season. I doubt that Harrison will go anywhere unless he bombs badly. Maye will only go if he can't stay healthy, and even then, the Jets may keep him. So even if they do cut Winters, Avery, Williamson, Roberts, Bellamy, Basham, and Shepherd, that will add around an additional $23.5 million, plus the cap should go up around $8-$10 million. Re-signing L. Williams, Anderson, and other starters and the draft picks is going to take a big chunk of that cap space. I would be shocked if the Jets are able to be big players in FA. They may be able to sign a couple of OL and a CB, plus another player or two. I expect that a number of UDFAs will make the team next season unless a number of young players we have now develop and stick.

Douglas is going to earn every penny of his salary and then some. Unless some of these young players really develop, it's still going to take 2-3 offseasons before most of our holes in starting positions and depth are addressed.

#17 NCJetsfan, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    mrjet80 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. mrjet80

This hurts . You’re probably right. I was hoping 1-2 offseasons but that’s assuming Mac’s last draft pans out and I’m pretty sure this last draft was the final straw on his dismissal ...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I think there will be cap space to make some signings. As I pointed out, the cap will rise, some players will be cut to gain some additional cap space, and they'll have room. I'm certain that it will be a priority for Douglas, and he'll sign at least one OL and at least one CB, and maybe 2 OL.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Agree. If there is someone they really want they’ll make the money appear. That said, I agree he needs to keep an eye on camp cuts for center. As bad as CB is for us, getting Darnold killed would be the worse possible thing for this team.

mrjet80 and NCJetsfan like this.