A Competent Front Office Being Built?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

A side benefit I had previously mentioned was that with a six year contract, Douglas can offer stability to new hires. The Jets were not or certainly minimally looked at as a stable franchise. The hires of Hogan and Alexander are promotions for each guy and time will tell how they adjust to their new roles. Savage brings experience as a previous GM to help Douglas in his new role. All these guys have backgrounds in scouting which is huge. If Kelley had been hired and the Jets do well, he likely would have been a short term hire. I don't see any of these hires being a "one and done" situation.

A new side benefit of these hires is that you now have deep knowledge of three really good franchises as you look to fill the rest of your scouting/analytics departments. Our new staff should know who the stars are and we should have the money to get them. Sometimes you may have to wait until some contracts expire but Hogan(Colts), Alexander(Ravens), and Douglas himself(Eagles) give you those inroads. It has been stated that after Hogan left, the Jets never really replaced him. The Jets, according to some, were a two man top level executive team of McCagnan and Heimerdinger. It also appears that with Douglas's salary and adding these three positions, (which not all teams have) Douglas has secured a much larger budget for his front office staff. A bigger and more expensive staff doesn't guarantee success but I would take my chances on more versus penny pinching. There is no salary cap on front office expenses so why not push it? If we are successful and people get hired away, you are more able to replace them from within as well.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post! Just another reason why I am excited and optimistic.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We shall see.

Personally, I’m of the mindset to have as many educated voices putting forth their opinions as possible.

Could also be too many cooks in the kitchen as well.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think it will be too many cooks. Supposedly, one of Douglas' strengths is that he is a consensus builder. He wants input from perspectives different from his, such as from the analytics perspective. I think it will help the Jets scouting and personnel decisions to be much wiser, better, and from a wider, more complete perspective.

Hogan will be bringing the Colts' perspective on talent, players in the collegiate ranks who will be in the upcoming draft or two, and their perspective on players in the NFL.

Alexander will be bringing the same thing from the Ravens' perspective.

During the interview process they may have gained some information on the Seahawks' and Bears' perspectives.

Douglas brings the Eagles' perspectives.

Savage will bring deep knowledge on the many players who played in the Senior Bowl for the last 7-8 seasons, and likely information on how scouts from a number of different teams view prospects.

I don't know who among them is keen on analytics. If there isn't one, then I'm sure that Douglas will bring in one or two men who specialize in that.

#4 NCJetsfan, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Leicester Jet and boozer32 like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the hangup over money a couple weeks ago involved Douglas's planned staff more than Douglas himself.

blackssmagic, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Not if you have a MASTER CHEF to guide them:D

NCJetsfan and GQMartin like this.
  7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Sweet, I hope Douglas is Gordon Ramsay level in both skill and personality

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Great points. This is the one area the Jets have been just awful at under different regimes. Spending big on scouting is a no brainer and I wasn't thrilled with the Savage hiring but he makes sense for a new GM. He can help Douglas navigate the myriad of duties he has now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I sure as hell hope not - Ramseys restaurants are closing left, right and centre and he been found out telling big lies about playing soccer for Glasgow Rangers, when he actual had a trial for the youth team (and failed that too)

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

swell. Lets win a game or two before the coronation, huh?

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Said almost exactly that in another thread. I’ve never seen so much focus on front office as I’m seeing with this new regime. It’s confidence inspiring.

NCJetsfan and blackssmagic like this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You have to start at the top. Sure it helps having a franchise QB in place but a good GM surrounds himself with good staff which in turn leads to better quality and a better direction for the scouting department....it's the scouting department which has been the Jets Achilles heel over the past decades more than anything else.

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

The old saying goes "shit rolls down hill"... finally we don't have any shit at the top of the hill.

PabloJa and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You’ll see some of what Douglas has to offer before the season starts, but his true stamp will be on the team starting with the next offseason.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

More than the ownership?

Baumeister likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ive posted about the importance of Management before:

Look at all the the Fortune 500 Companies , Bershire Hathaway and Buffet, Microsoft, (gates) Apple (Jobs) Amazon (Bezos)..why do they amass a fortune>>>>Leadership and Smarts!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No way bro! Everything is fixed and better. Just wait until the Jets Propaganda Ministry hits us with the new season of their reality show in August. It's gonna be full-on green and white money shots.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Just make sure to remain bitter and angry until they are proven winners!

19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The only way they deserve the loyalty that some people are willing give them blindly is to prove that they are winners.

Some people are just so in love with the idea of saying "see? I knew it all along" in the possible (but unlikely) event that the Jets do actually win something that those people will act like shills even in times of uncertainty and ineptitude.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'll wait a couple years. It seems nice so far, but we dont really know how much say any of these guys in their respective roles.

I will say, the optics of the front office look better than they have in years. Coach is still a huge question mark, though.

Cman68 likes this.