Jets hire Phil Savage as Senior Adviser to Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanatic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Just hope that he can really turn things around. Will give him a chance and the benefit of the doubt for now.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Thomas was a great pick, but he followed it up but trading a second and the next year's first to draft Brady Quinn.
    Wright was a decent pick but didn't really pan out for them.
    It's funny , when there's a new hire by any franchise, they are linked to any success their former teams had with little knowledge of what role they played.
    Remember Bated was the Bears QB coach, who was responsible for Cutlers career year, one year later , no it's Adam Gase who made Cutler great for a season.
    Truth is, until the new hires, here or anywhere actually have some time in their new position, it's impossible to accurately grade them.
    Hopefully the new combination of talent evaluators will produce as well as their former mentors and this franchise will have the same kind of success.

K'OB and abyzmul like this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Savage is a good hire for Douglas. Does have GM experience. Hopefully he learned from his experience and can help Douglas adjust and get through the growing pains.

Beyond that Savage has knowledge of all the seniors from the senior bowl from 2013-2018. Between upcoming free agents and waiver wire he will have a background on most players. Hopefully it helps this season since we still have holes to fill.

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Savage did NOT do bad in Cleveland. In fact, Cleveland's last winning season (10-6 - in 2007) was led by Savage as GM. And they had like 10 pro-bowlers that he acquired during that time. Savage got an extension after that season and was seen as someone doing a great job.

In 2008, they dealt with injuries and lost their final 6 games. Even then Savage would not have been fired had he not gotten into an email fight with a fan. Everyone kisses John Dorsey's ass here and he's yet to accomplish what Savage did in Cleveland - a winning record

5. TonyFtLaud

Dorsey took over a 2 win chiefs team and went 11-5, 9-7,11-5,12-4. Next stop he took the Browns from 4 combined wins over 3 seasons to 7 wins with a rookie QB and a HC and OC who were sabotaging the offense in an attempt to get each other fired leading to a coaching change mid season.
    Savage coupled his 10-6 season with 2 4-12 seasons and a 6-12 season.
    24 - 40 overall. Same record as Maccagan and Mac had 11 pro bowlers .
    Dorsey by comparison was 43- 21 in his first 4 years 50-30 overall. He had 18 pro bowlers his 4 years in KC, 6 his 1 year in Cleveland.
    Dorsey has accomplished alot more as a GM then Savage did.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

and yet he still hasn't gotten Cleveland to a winning record

Maccagnan having 11 probowlers, I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, but even if it is, the pro bowl has changed since 2005. They have it a week before the Super Bowl now so there are a bunch of superbowl no-shows as well as everyone skipping out anyway. the pro bowl used to mean something

KurtTheJetsFan and FJF like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

JD is 0/1 in getting the CB a WR since 2018!!! :mad::mad::mad:

BrowningNagle likes this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

No but he took the most dysfunctional organization in the league and practically doubled their win total for 3 prior seasons year 1, put the owner in check and has built one of the more talented rosters in the league.
    Your conveniently overlooking Savage's 3 other losing seasons with the browns. I recall you arguing full body of work not long ago. But if you want to just use Dorsey's first season with the Browns and ignore his entire resume, be fair and use Savage's first year as well. Improved from 4-12 to 6-10 that year. 2 win improvement. Dorsey 7-9 off a 0-16 season. 7 game improvement.

9. BrowningNagle

I'm not conveniently overlooking anything. I mentioned he was fired, hell I said they lost 6 in a row to close out a season

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I like the fact that Douglas is not jumping into this job with a big ego thinking he can do it all. He knows the value of having competent help in the FO. He is doing a great job of putting together a very respectable FO.

101GangGreen101 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  11. TonyFtLaud

I think the biggest key is the staff he is putting together are familiar with each other and share the same team building vision.
    Look how well Hogan and Bazirgan did under Ballard in Indy vs here under Mac. That alone is a major improvement.

BudJet and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

You prefaced the 6 losses with an excuse that they dealt with injuries too.
    I don't see anyone kissing Dorsey's ass, but you trying to make Savage out to be a better GM is laughable.
    I guess Mitch Richmond was a better Basketball player then LeBron. After all he did win a title with the Lakers. Something LeBron is yet to do .....

13. BrowningNagle

Smh so dramatic....