Maccagnan 2019 drafting blunder

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by wewantsapp, Jun 13, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I greatly respect both of your knowledge and opinions, but disagree this time. While I would love to add a stud #1 WR for Sam, first and foremost, I want a stud LT to protect his blind side. It won't matter how great the WR is if he doesn't have time to complete his routes and Sam doesn't have the time to get him the ball. The OL has been ignored for far too long. I don't want another Brick at LT that's a very good pass blocker but is below average as a run blocker. I want a topnotch complete LT. The problem could very well be where we wind up drafting however. If we're drafting in the teens, we probably won't get that stud LT and may not wind up with a stud WR either with our #1 pick. I wouldn't be averse to trading up to get a stud LT, but hope that we don't have to, as I don't think that we can really afford to trade up. We still have a number of needs. Hopefully Douglas will be able to spot some great OL talent that will be there lower in the 1st round or in the 2nd round, as you suggest Kurt, and then will be able to get a couple of them and a very good #1 WR prospect with our #1 pick. I haven't looked to see who the prospective FA OL will be next year, but I'm certain that there won't be any great LTs. There might be a some good OGs or a RT or two and a C.

I do hope that our first two picks will be OL - WR or vice versa even though we need a CB desperately. Hopefully, there will be some good FA CBs available and that's where we'll address CB next offseason.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

a lot depends on the offseason and a couple of payers performance. if harrison does good at C then it's not really a need. if he sucks it's a huge need. beenchum, qvale, and shell are all FAs after this year so depending on udoga and if we keep 1 or a couple of them , it makes a difference if we need an OT badly. same goes for WR. robbie is a FA so if we don't resign him we have a huge need, but if we do, then we won't have a big need there. As of now i'm leaning towards OT in the 1st. it's a great draft of OT and if we can land a stud LT to start from day 1 and udoga steps into the RT role we may actually have a good o-line again finally

3. Its not really a matter of prioritizing one need over another. Theyre both massive needs.What im concerned w is making sure both needs get addressed & we get both right.

While both positions are loaded in this upcoming class OL appears much deeper.Theres more likely to be a starting level player w upside on day 2 at OL than there is finding whats needed at WR.

Beyond that the Jets have done a decent job historically identifying mid round OL talent..its them not actually selecting players at the position that is the issue.Conversely theyve missed on alot of mid to late round WRs & itd make sense to take a stud w less risk attached in round 1. Generally speaking elite WR prospects are harder to come by than OL. This is all making sure we get these picks right.

The strength of this upcoming FA class is said to be at the OL position. Theres slso the possibility Michael Thompson Leaves NO for big money so this could also play a role.

I disagree about Brick.He developed a really nice punch out of his stance to provide great space on the edge of the running game.He was not a power blocker but very effective.He was also an elite level pass protector w great feet,agility & long arms

#43 KurtTheJetsFan, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2019
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The OL class may be deeper, but how the Jets have done historically drafting OL and WRs in the middle rounds is totally irrelevant and will have no bearing on the 2020 draft. I don't want just a starting level player at LT. I'd rather address LT in 2020 and WR in 2021 if need be. I don't want to sacrifice quality at the LT position, just to get a "starting caliber" #1 WR. Maybe I'm being greedy with those two positions, but I think we deserve it. We potentially have an elite QB. I think he deserves an elite LT protecting him and opening things up in the rushing attack, and an elite target for Sam to which to throw.

We'll just have to agree to disagree regarding Brick. I never saw him being particularly effective in the rushing game, and in fact, have read statistics and critiques of Brick's play over the years that verified my opinion of him.

#44 NCJetsfan, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Brick wasn't as good against the run as he was against the pass, but it's funny because he was ahead of his time. In today's game, run blocking matters less than it did when he played.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Disagree with you on a huge scale. The last time the Jets were successful they took an LT and Center in the first round. Those guys lasted over a decade. Your theory is Macc's and where has that gotten the Jets. We have not had any significant single key players signed and our offensive line hasn't had a 1000 yard RB since Chris Ivory in 2015. I worry that Bell will not be anywhere as successful as he was in Pittsburg.

tomdeb, westiedog1 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't think my theory is anywhere close to Macc's. If it where, he would have moved a lot quicker to secure a franchise QB. (And he might still be working, LOL.) He was content to let Geno QB the Jets his first year and got somewhat lucky when Fitzpatrick ended up as QB, then brought him back for another year. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that QB's like Geno, Fitz and McCown are not going to win you championships.

I would say the Jets had some success after Brick and Mangold, but it was inconsistent and dependent on other factors. Through their tenure they were remarkably healthy, but their presence in the lineup was not enough to insure winning seasons.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Trey Smith's a beast-in-progress package but until the "blood clot" issue is cleared up once and for all that's gonna be a red flag with him. . Trey Adam's another one with health-related red flags. As you mentioned, OT's beyond Thomas & Little are to be found in 2020. As for the IOL, If Harrison doesn't pan out would give Tyler Biadasz, Wisc. a look. . WR-wise, big-time talent in spades; Buff's Laviska Shenault's a scoring machine when healthy.....but be "Dee M." aware: he's already had two surgeries coming off just his freshman year. .
    . .

#48 joe, Jun 18, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

actually, not so fast my friend. that's only half right. Yes, D'Brickashaw probably would've been a better run blocker in this era of spread out offenses BUT if you watch offenses today, good ones, not the Jets, teams are going back to putting maulers at left tackle instead of the finesse guys like Ferguson.

They know they can get the ball out quicker in the passing game so they want a left tackle they can run behind.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I actually agree with you for the most part, although I wouldn't go so far as to say the OL should be the last of my concerns. I think there are lots of examples of great or possibly great QBs being ruined or not reaching their potential because they played behind crappy OLs. Look at Andrew Luck for one, Now that he has a decent OL he and the Colts are doing much better.

We do agree that QB has to be the #1 priority of any team trying to rebuild, and that's become even more true in this era of the offense being favored by the NFL, and continued efforts to produce "Any given Sunday" parity. Having a legit FQB puts you on the doorstep of being a contender right away. The fact that Macc didn't know this proved to me that he wasn't cut out to be a GM. The fact that he also continued focusing on "D" despite the NFL being an offense-driven league further cemented my opinion of him. And finally, even with his bias towards drafting "D", he also was ignorant of the role of a dominant pass rush. He should've been fired immediately after the 2017 draft IMO.

And I agree with your approach of identifying your key players and locking them up long term. This was a failure of the Tanny era and it cost them the ability to remain contenders and ruined Sanchez once he was deprived of his supporting cast.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

Brick weighed 305 lbs. These are the left tackles on PFF's top 10 offenses of 2018. Six of these guys are within 10 lbs of Brick, and Armstead, who was PFF's second-highest graded tackle, is one pound lighter. The Pats had a giant at LT, but they weren't part of a trend. Especially because they just let 380-pounder Trent Brown walk in free agency and replaced him with Isaiah Wynn, who weighs 310 lbs.

Rams--Andrew Whitworth (330 lbs)
    Chiefs--Eric Fisher (315)
    Saints--Terron Armstead (304)
    Chargers--Russell Okung (310)
    Colts--Anthony Castonzo (311)
    Falcons--Jake Matthews (309)
    Patriots--Trent Brown (380)
    Steelers--Alejandro Villanueva (320)
    Packers--David Bakhtiari (310)
    Buccaneers--Donovan Smith (338)

#51 HomeoftheJets, Jun 18, 2019
  12. regan62072

regan62072 Well-Known Member

Ehh... Manish sucking up to the new regime. His sources are gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Brick was in the program at 305. But he was not 305. 290s ish

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

In using the Colts as an example, what stands out to me is that they went 10-6 in Peyton's last year, 2-14 with Curtis Painter the following year and then 11-5 with Luck the next, his rookie year. I confess I don't know what turnover on the O-line occurred in that short span of time but it's not likely that it was so significant as to cause that W-L record. The more likely explanation: Peyton - good, Painter - sucky, Luck - good.

I don't mean to dismiss the role of good OL play. However, as the Dallas Cowboys found out, you can have an all-pro O-line and still lose big time if you don't have a competent QB.

#54 westiedog1, Jun 18, 2019
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Maccagnan set the jets back years with his stupid drafting.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

Some of those other lightweight guys may also be listed as more than they weigh. Regardless, my point is a lot of top teams carry lighter left tackles.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot of truth there but you need road graders to make holes for your RB and more importantly give your QB confidence that he can have more than 2 seconds to find a receiver. Every person on this board knew that but Macc couldn't see further than BPA. That is why the Jets failed and why he got canned. He totally lopsided the team and not in a good way..