Jets offensive pace "significantly higher" than previous years

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jun 14, 2019.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I think his arm strength has actually improved a bit. it was already good. I think it's up to very good now. When a QB is mid 20's to late 20's and already has some miles on the arm...it's tough to improve it strength wise. Darnold is at an age where he has no wear and tear/injuries to the arm

2. forevercursed

To be fair 2015 we had a very good offense. It was an anomalous season but we threw for 4100 total yards and had a 1,000 yard rusher (and 1,800 yards rushing total)

We were 10th in the league in total yards gained. 11th in scoring.

2015 we had the 4th best offense in the AFC. New England was 2nd and we trailed them by like...50 yards

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's all about Darnold's lower body mechanics. When he's in sync, he can make any throw. But when he isn't, his passes float. You can see the contrast in last year's Week 3 game, where Mayfield was throwing a crisper ball because his mechanics are good even though his arm isn't naturally stronger than Darnold's.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Bowles didn't do anything while he was here. Dude was in a coma and his DC had a frontal lobotomy.

5. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Cannon was a great gunner. Fumbled too much to return it, though

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He’s a fantastic gunner but he’s the last guy I ever want to see deep returning a kick. I do think his value on special teams going to get him a roster spot over McGuire.

PabloJa likes this.
  7. forevercursed

Yes true. Though even when Darnold is sloppy out there he seems to maintain accuracy. In weird off balanced positions, he still manages to be accurate.

Though I agree the lower body mechanics, the footwork. It's all coming together and that will make him a top 10 QB when he does. He's going to be a pain in the ass for defenses to bring down. Roethlisberger type. Though he's not quite as big, he's also quicker than Roethlisberger

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. forevercursed

He built a culture of apathy, poor preparation, tardiness, split locker rooms. Lack of adjustments. Late game collapses. And for the most part the coaches he hired on his staff were total crap. He had that "sometimes you're late no big deal" comment.

It was as close to the return of the Kotite era as I've seen. He should've been gone after 2016. Definitely after 2017. I have no clue how he was allowed to coach this team last year

9. boozer32

Bates and Rodgers. Oy vey! The two most unqualified people working in the NFL. Your analysis was right on.

10. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Hes always been a good improviser when it comes to Darnold. What many dont realize is when you go off script, the play is breaking down, every defender is improvising, and so are all the receivers. Darnold has the ability to comprehend the tendency of the defense when a play breaks down, that let's you know his I.Q is off the charts and has the physical ability to extend the play and make off balance throws.

As far as Eli is concerned keep in mind he came off a injury, so there is a good chance he didnt show what is fully capable of. I wouldnt count him out, as matter fact, I expect Eli, and Cannon to make the team. Unfortunately that means Bilal Powells return might be a short one.

11. forevercursed

And somehow Bowles/Rodgers find employment again Arians has a soft spot in his heart for 'em. So he brings them to Tampa. I can tell you who's going to lead the NFL in heartbreaking 4th Q defensive collapses next season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

boozer32 and Acad23 like this.
  12. boozer32

LOL

13. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Well, honestly I think it's a combination of both. It wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if Sammy weren't here. Sure, Gase is a better offensive mind from what we know but the offense would still be a joke without honest to goodness TALENT on offense. Sammy Darnold gives us that talent that was so badly needed. Without Sammy and his very promising future (he's proven NOTHING so far) this offense is still smack dab in the middle of Mac's reign as GM.

14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

With Sam giving praise to Harrison and Osemele being a big upgrade at guard, I am hopeful with our new OL coach that the unit won't be as bad as we thought. Couple that with more quick passing options like Bell and Crowder and the pressure shouldnt be quite as bad on Sam this year.

My anxieties have shifted to the cornerback position. Trumaine Johnson seems like a total bum and I am not confident in him anymore. Darryl Roberts has been getting torched in OTAs. Apparently no one is willing to get Morris Claiborne because his current asking price is too high so the team might not be willing to get him. Poole seems okay at nickel, but not going to put the fear into anyone. Its still super early and maybe everyone comes back and plays well week 1 or maybe the go out and address the position in a meaningful way, but the position is my top concern right now. The fact that Mac got a cornerback in the 6th round who probably isnt going to be available this year just showed he really was Idzik 2.0, but even Idzik wouldn't have thrown $72 million at Trumaine Johnson who has been dogsh*t so far.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Time to work some magic, Joe Douglas.

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Lets hope so, but he wont get judged until starting in 2020's (god it will be 2020 already) offseason.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  17. boozer32

Trumaine might get a mulligan. Bowles and Johnson could ruin anyone. With Greg Williams coming onboard and expecting the defense to apply more pressure should make Johnson more effective. Plus he has major success under Williams in LA. Its the opposite side of Johnson that might be the problem.

FJF likes this.
  18. PabloJa

PabloJa Well-Known Member

You talking bout my boy D-Roberts?

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

We should 100% sign David Amerson

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

glad to hear about this. Has an analogy to seven seconds or less in basketball; that much less time for the defense to think and react; sub players out etc

Of course we need to execute it properly but it seems like smart football to me