Crazy, but we should all be thanking Chris Johnson right now. Without him, we don't get Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Jun 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Teams can only block an interview while they are in the playoffs. It's not like they had the ability to block Douglas from interviewing after they won the Super Bowl (last year) or after they got knocked out of the playoffs (this year). Anyone who wanted to offer Douglas their GM job could have done so; they simply would have had to wait a few weeks.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

First, you’re wrong. We just had to request permission to interview Douglas and it was May. The Texans had to request permission to interview the patriots guy they wanted to hire and it’s June. It’s not as cut and dry as you’re making it.

Second, you’re more than entitled to your opinion but I’m going to go with the opinion of the people that have been watching him for 17 years as opposed to the armchair quarterbacks that just heard of him two months ago.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

This is CJs first hire. What track record? Point is, Jets got their guy when in recent history that wouldn't be the case.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They got Adam Gase’s guy.

5. Unhappyjetsfan

He also hired Gase. And I consider "The Johnson Family" to be the team's owner and their collective decisions over the past 20 years to be current ownership decisions. Unless, of course, you don't think Woody Johnson has access to a telephone in Europe.

6. Unhappyjetsfan

You may have to ask permission, but it can't be denied if the available job is a promotion over the job the interviewee currently holds (which it was in both instances - Jets and Texans).

That's alright, Woody Johnson, Chris Johnson and I all have the same amount of Super Bowl wins.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sounds like they got CJs guy too.

8. BroadwayAaron

They got the guy who was widely regarded by people smarter than anyone here as the best candidate available with almost 2 decades worth of experience and three championship rings. That’s the bottom line. The same 4-5 crotchety whiny SOJF’s will try their hardest to pretend otherwise, but those are the facts.

FJF likes this.
  9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

But you can’t let the facts get in the way of a good whining session.

I have a lot of confidence in this guy. Unlike Gase, he does have a winning history behind him and he’s worked for some top tier people. There’s no good reason to think he can’t replicate that here. Time to see who he hires to help him build this team up.

10. Unhappyjetsfan

Odds are that four years from now you're gonna LOVE the new GM, and the new head coach, and the same old ownership. I hope I'm wrong.*

*I've been right for like the last 20 years.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Does a team EVER hire a General Manager and say anything other than “he was our top guy”

Ralebird likes this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Probably not, but that doesn’t necessarily make it untrue.

13. BroadwayAaron

I’ll try asking again... why are you pretending that it’s only the team saying they got the/their top guy?

14. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

That's an outsiders PERCEPTION of the situation. Nothing more. Well, I'm an outsider just as much as you are, only I don't subscribe to the common conspiracy theory among Jets fans. My outsiders opinion says Chris is a giddy child Jets fan at heart. He wants to win and in so doing he will line his wallet many times over. He's fallen into traps hiring idiots that couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag. Al Groh and Toilet Bowles come to mind, among others. My outsiders opinion has just as much weight as your conspiracy theory does.

I also happen to believe he's finally made the right choice in hiring. I believe we finally have a GM that will actually be competent at his job. So how do the people on your side believe that finally this bumbling doofus of an owner has finally made a good hire? This flies directly in the face of their assertions?

jilozzo likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

grow was the classic fall back option that parcells pushed into the position. i believe that charlie weis had lobbied hard for the HC vacancy but was not given the opportunity. i think at the time johnson really had no choice but to go along with BP.