Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Whats that , If Douglas will spurn us ? Or if the Jets and these 2 pos owners ever get close to a Super Bowl again ?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well you knew beforehand that Douglas was going to turn us down so I'm just kind of confused by the whole thing.

3. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Let me help you out as it seems that you need it, you are not "confused" your just being a troll.There is a difference but your lacking in effort .I hope I cleared it up for you and Your welcome ;)

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Are we to believe those two were freelancing?

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just take your licks and move on. You SOJF'd all over the place and it didn't work out for you. It was all in good fun.

6. Ralebird

Exactly. There was more than one viable quarterback to be had at the number three spot; by all expectations none would have been available at number six. It didn't happen by accident.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

So, you're saying that unless you're picking first you never know who will "fall" to you, right? Everything else is just a crapshoot that cannot be planned for.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

The relationship between the two I think benefitted both teams. You be surprised how much responsibility GMs give to Directors of Player Personnel.

They negotiated with each other, presented it to Macc and Ballard and the deal was done.

9. Ralebird

Are you saying that when they "presented it to Macc and Ballard" after they negotiated it was the first the GMs knew of the plan?

Is this something else you "heard" on the internet but refuse to support?

#429 Ralebird, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  10. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Look it up yourself, since you wanna be a smart ass.

11. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

12. Ralebird

JANUARY 22, 2018

It’s Senior Bowl week. Heimerdinger meets Colts VP of player personnel Ed Dodds at the hotel bar at the Battlehouse in Mobile, Ala. Indianapolis has the No. 3 pick. The Jets have the No. 6 pick again, and a Plan A and Plan B at quarterback. Plan A: Sign Kirk Cousins, who has played in Bates’s offense and is a favorite of 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, who happens to have strong ties to both Bates and Heimerdinger. Plan B: Trade up for one of the 2018
    quarterbacks.
    So there you have it. The Jets plan B is to trade up. The GM sends his guys out to get the job done. It gets done.

MacCagnan was just lucky to come up with such a plan.

101GangGreen101 and BacktoQueens like this.
  13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Sounds like MacCagnan was very lucky that Kirk Cousins didn't want to come here. That was his Plan A, and I haven't heard anyone here argue that that would have been a better outcome than what happened.

Obviously MacCagnan deserves credit for making the trade up to the #3 pick; it was ultimately his decision to do it. That doesn't in any way change that (1) it wasn't what he actually hoped to do, and (2) he didn't in any way expect that Darnold would be there to pick. To me that means he gets a lot less credit than if it had been his plan right from the start. He clearly had to think that at least two of Mayfield, Rosen, and Allen would become great, since he had absolutely no control over which ones would be available at #3 and he believed that Darnold wouldn't be. Maybe that will turn out to be true, but it's way too early to tell.

And of course also (3) his overall draft record was absolutely pathetic during his time here, so in my opinion no one should be unhappy that he's gone.

The way I view it is that once he was lucky enough for his Plan A to fall through, he took a calculated risk that it seems could work out very well. You know, exactly what a GM is supposed to do. Too bad so many of his other calculated risks turned out so badly.

Acad23, NCJetsfan, Jets81 and 2 others like this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Man, I wanted Cousins but that would’ve been such a disaster in hindsight. On a $90M, fully guaranteed contract, he would’ve been expected to instantly turn this team into a playoff contender. He couldn’t even get that Vikings team, one of the most stacked rosters in the league, into the playoffs.

We would’ve gone 6-10 at best and he would’ve been an absolute lightning rod. Mac and Bowles both would’ve gotten fired anyway, and the next GM would’ve been stuck with much less salary cap space and a huge 2 year commitment to a slightly above average QB.

Cousins knew what he was doing by not coming here and he did both himself and the Jets a massive favor.

15. Ralebird

The jury is still out. It may take another couple of years to come up with the verdict; certainly there has not been enough evidence presented yet.

16. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

He didn’t orchestrate the trade. That’s the point. Heimerdinger did.

You tried tho. Just hold the L. raLebird.

17. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Heimerdinger made the trade possible. Give that man his credit.

18. Ralebird

Why do you think it is okay to make stuff up and fail to support your contentions? Even your own link says that the plan came from Jets management.

Are you still contending that MacCagnan refused to trade down one pick this year in the first round to get an early second rounder?

19. Ralebird

Why do you think it is okay to make stuff up and fail to support your contentions? Even your own link says that the plan came from the Jets management.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sure that Mac and Heimerdinger talked about it first. Mac probably knew that Heimerdinger had a friendly relationship with Dodds, so he asked Heimerdinger to contact Dodds and explore what the Colts might want in exchange for the #3 pick.