2019-2020 New York Islanders thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by CBG, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Well, if they end up signing Nelson, Eberle, Lehner, and Lee I don't know how they're going to be able to afford getting better, which they need to do if they want to be a serious Stanley Cup contender.

CBG, JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

After Eberle resigned the Isles have around 22 million in cap space. They need to resign all 4 and add to it.

4. statjeff22

That's fine, but their total payroll this season was only about $9 million more than what they already have committed for next season. They were almost $10 million under the cap this season, and I don't expect that number to change all that much, particularly while they're still playing in Brooklyn (low attendance) and Uniondale (no luxury boxes). Lee and Lehner would take a very big chunk out of what I think they're likely to be willing to spend.

5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think we can all agree that Eberle showed up in the playoffs and had chemistry with Barzal but I agree = if you bring back ALL the same guys especially Lee at 7 or 8 years , good luck improving and adding players as we will need it

Red Menace likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Come on Lou,,,,,,make us better. A trade or 2 ? Then the draft Friday !

Red Menace likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

8. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

He supposedly ran the Leafs PP. Wonder if that means Scott Gomez is getting the boot considering our "wonderful" PP last year.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Congrats to both Trotz and Lehner for winning awards tonight. Trotz coach of the year and Lehner for comeback player of the year.

Red Menace and CBG like this.
  10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

What a fucking joke; Lehner was the best goalie hands down.

11. statjeff22

Vasilevskiy winning the Vezina is ridiculous, especially in a landslide, but I would have given it to Bishop, not Lehner. I'm very surprised that Trotz won - I definitely thought Cooper would win (he did finish second). Lehner was the only possible winner of the Masterton (which is for perseverance, dedication, and sportsmanship, not comeback player), so I'm glad they didn't do something stupid and give it to someone else. Lehner used the win to continue sharing his messages about addiction and mental health, which is absolutely wonderful and of great personal importance to me, since there are several people close to me who have struggled with either (or both) of those issues.

CBG likes this.
  12. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Trotz deserved it over Cooper. Look at the roster TB had vs NYI. Trotz made the most with less. We look back now and see 103 points, a second place finish in the Metro, and a sweep of the Pens and say the Isles are a good team. This was basically the same team that missed the playoffs the previous two seasons and they had pajama boy on those teams. Trotz worked his magic and deserved COY. The voting was for regular season only, if the playoffs counted then Berube probably wins it.

14. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Looks like everything is coming together on the arena situation. Wouldn't surprise me if shovels meet dirt in July.

15. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

Agree on Bishop, I would've put Lehner 3 also.
    In all honesty, any of the 3 candidates were deserving for the Masterton. Jumbo with his comeback with 2 reconstructed knees and Nick Foligno with his daughter.

16. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Many people hating the pick the kid says he luvs Forsberg hopefully he plays as good ,,,,,ps the kid has huge injury red flags,,,,,,,hope we hit a homer and I honestly don't know much about any of these kids besides what I have read that said many people think we reached by passing on Tomasino and a few others time will tell

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I have no opinion on the pick. I have no clue who any of these players are. With the NFL draft its easier to judge because college football is so popular you have a good idea of the players in the draft. Because of that its easier to see if your team is having a good or bad draft. With hockey not so much.

JetBlue likes this.
  18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Division is going to be tough this year. The two worst teams have gotten objectively better, two other teams are Cup winners, and the Isles are standing pat. I hope the young kids are on the verge of enormous breakthroughs.

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Lets see what FA brings but I agree other teams improving while we sit pat,,,,,lets see what we look like after July is over

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I like the looks of this kid Reece Newkirk ps after we selected him the Islanders took a guy I know zero about but he was a team mate of Dobson and some people like the pick = here is a video on Newkirk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.