Champ Kelly Might Be Joining! (Source)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Jun 13, 2019.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They are just about as efficient as their QB

FJF and RPOZ51 like this.
  2. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

boozer32 likes this.
  3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

McShay didn't withdraw his name, he was kicked out the door! I never thought much of him and I commend Douglas for using his smarts & not just hiring a friend from the past. Kelly ...if the hire is confirmed, is a MUCH better hire than McShay.

BacktoQueens, boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

J
    Jeez..What's NOT to like about Kelly??? like Douglas he's been associated with building a Championship Team

Please compare and contrast with Macagnan 's and Idziks pre hire Resumes...feh feh feh

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree morewith item 1-2. Item 3 "the average defense on Greg Williams is also overblown rethoric". He has regularly significantly elevated the play of any defense he has coached. He will move our D forward an order of magnitude over the prior HC and DC. As for 4 Gase is as good as the QB...no kidding? True of any HC.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Just curious how you came to the conclusion that 2 hires with zero experience in their new position equates to the strongest frot office in the league.
    The Patriots, Steelers, Eagles , Ravens Rams, Saints and numerous other teams have much more experienced front offices, with years of success.
    To be the champ, you got to beat the champ.

#26 TonyFtLaud, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    abyzmul, Cman68, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

If all you want to do is compare guys to MacCagnan and Idzik, you'll never find happiness.

CBG, Baumeister and Jets69 like this.
  8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

We won’t have the strongest front office in the league. They have to prove that by winning, plain and simple.

CBG and Jets69 like this.
  9. Nowhere near the strongest..but at the very least should Kelly come aboard itd be a very strong foundation & the closest thing to a “big boy” front office weve had since Parcells/Clinkscales/Pioli

10. TonyFtLaud

Lots of potential!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiment that "to be the champ you must beat the champ" But at least from a logistics standpoint, you would have arguably the most respected talent evaluator (Douglas) paired with one of the most respected operations guys in (Douglas). Both men are also highly regarded when it comes to consensus building, having really strong relationships around the league. Are these the types of guys that should be making trades on draft day? YES Are these the types of guys that you want building culture? YES Are these guys experience in regime change? YES Both come from programs that went from losing games to winning games? YES These are the guys I want! Hire Champ now!!!

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Of course you are right..

But It's just a question of Belief among us that are used to SOJs...and I get that .Seeing will confirm The believing

But right now some important pieces are coming together..so looking good >>on paper.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

Douglas is a respected talent evaluator, as is Kelly, who I assume you meant as an operations guy.
    Neither is considered the most respected in the league. Neither has any experience , Douglas as GM, Kelly as director of player personnel. So from a logistical standpoint. Both are a complete unknown.
    As I stated, there is great potential, but there is a long way to go before they can be considered among the best, let alone the best.
    Let's remember the great Mike Maccagan was voted NFL Executive of the year in 2015.

#33 TonyFtLaud, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    BudJet and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

What do you mean "unfortunately"

BudJet, BacktoQueens and boozer32 like this.
  15. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

To me this shows Douglas' wisdom

Ok I beat this guy out to become the Jets GM...but my former rival for the job is a really bright guy who I want to bring into the fold because I know he can help us win.

And what does this say about Champ Kelly and his take on Douglas. Champ Kelly doesn't want to be an assistant GM. He wants to be GM. He's looking at Douglas and thinking that this is something he can help build up quickly and get noticed.

16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Point well made and another reason Macc was awful. Had the chance to take an edge rusher and he passes, Macc only attempt at fixing any holes was drafting Darnold. Douglas has been on the job 6 days and already see CB as a need and taken 2 of them off the waiver wire. I expect him to move a lot of pieces come cut down day.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Not this guy. My main issue was the college he came from. The Jets have had horrible luck with players from that school that I refuse to mention. The Boar Hunter, Mike Nugent, Devin Smith, Darron Lee. Only Matt Snell and Nick Mangold have done well. That draft the Jets were in no man's land with Gholston. The better talent that year was 1-5. Hindsight they should have traded down and gotten RB Jonathan Stewart, Jerrod Mayo or Joe Flacco....yikes that was a good draft for alot of teams just not the Jets. except for Keller.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because I think there is value to having some of these TV analysts in the front office. Their job is to study the draft inside and out top to bottom all year long. Basically, a scout. And because they do it for television they are usually plugged in with agents. Just because you don’t like their mock drafts doesn’t mean they don’t know how to evaluate players.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree in general regarding the TV analysts, at least about what they could bring to the FO. How about when their mock drafts and player evaluations are most often wrong? Doesn't that mean that their evaluations skills are off or non-existent? I can't ever remember McShay being particularly accurate. Kiper is even worse, I don't see how he stays employed. Mayock was pretty good, as is Jeremiah, but I can't think of any others who I'd even consider hiring.

20. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Haha, wow are we getting a little crazy or what? When have we ever given a toss about who the ASSISTANT GM was? Hell, I'm one of many here who remember pretty clearly when our front office was Steve Gutman and a couple of other guys who probably pumped gas at a Hess station during the week. :)

NCJetsfan likes this.