Jets Hire GM Joe Douglas

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by King Koopa, Jun 7, 2019.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I forgot about Hackenberg. Still, any QB not taken in Round 1 should not have been considered as an absolute, another Maccagnan mistake. Not so much that he drafted Hack in the second round, a mistake that he couldn't have foreseen at the time, but that he did not follow up and draft another the following year when there were at least two who were clearly better available.

chandler and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I’m not mad at Macc for the Hack Pick. He was aggressive and gambled on a guy who had talent but obviously had accuracy issues that he just couldn’t overcome.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Why were the Jets picking number three overall?

4. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Heimerdinger worked out a trade with Rex Hogan(Colts VP of Player Personnel, Former Jets exec)

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

^Cimini reported that btw.

Do some research.

That’s why Indy didn’t ask for a Kings ransom as we had a good relationship with Hogan.

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

The Pats were bigger geniuses; they put themselves in position to draft Tom Brady in the 6th -- same logic as yours

7. chandler

to take whoever fell to them and by Macc's own words he wasn't expecting that to be Darnold. Could have been looking at Rosen or Allen just as easily

Again I am happy it worked out that way but it was not Macc's plan; I'm also happy when I find $5 in the street

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We often agree, but in this case I don't. If a college QB has "accuracy issues" at that point in his development, then I don't call that "talented". And a GM who supposedly cut his teeth as a talent evaluator who couldn't see that, or thought he could somehow develop accuracy shouldn't even be evaluating players, let alone be a GM. But maybe worse than him actually picking Hackenberg, was his apparently deciding that he then didn't need to draft another QB, which if true caused him to pass on Mahomes and Watson. He wasn't the worst GM, but he wasted 5 years of my fan experience.

Acad23 likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I totally agree that if a QB never displays the ability to be an accurate thrower in college then odds are he will never be an accurate thrower. I hated the Hack pick for that reason. Now imagine trading up into the top 10 to pick Hack, like the Bills did with Allen...

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! Allen may prove to be serviceable QB given his ability to make plays with his legs, but I'm SO glad he didn't wind up on the Jets which, given Macc's "Smartest guy in the room" self assessment was a real possibility.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The age old saying is you want to get the QB, find someone to rush the QB, then protect the QB. That draft might have the best set of safeties for this new generation of football. It's going to be a HOF type safety class IMO. We did things "ass backwards" per say, but it worked out in the end, hopefully our foundation players continue to improve.

Personally that draft I only wanted Adams or Hooker, I was willing to die on that hill. They are perfect safeties for the new age NFL.

NCJetsfan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  12. chandler

I think you're right about this. But he also had a year of inside info on Hack at that point. I'd like to know who was telling Macc he made a smart choice and Hack just needed more time to develop

By all public accounts everyone seemed to recognize it as a whiff. Shit happens all the time. He didn't man up to his mistake IMO. I feel the same way about a lot of his picks -- the ones he tabs as a success because they're still on the team even if they barely play or contribute

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. chandler

I agree with this but would add if you take a safety at 6 he damn well better be a game changer

Ed Reed and Polamalu picked far lower and were game changers because they had great personnel in front of them.

We may have picked a superman safety -- yay for us!! but we still had holes on D line and LB at the time, not to mention O-line which Macc seemed allergic to

14. chandler

I agree with this. But you also have to consider he didn't own up to it. They had him for a year to assess him before the 2017 draft; He was more than a little bad as subsequent events have proven. Not owning up cost us

Love Darnold, but consider how Indy has profited. Pro Bowl Guard. Another good guard in second round, a CB this year (second pick in second round -- almost a first rounder) and another second rounder to come

Jeti and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

WTF? Are, you talking about?

Have a good day.

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It could have been Mayfield as well..
    Awesome you keep leaving his name out of the possibilities.

Which makes your agenda more and more obvious at this point...

Carry on with your blind and irrational hatred for the guy who just got fired for not being good enough.

Doesn't mean he didnt do some good things for this team though.

Carry on though.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We don't owe Indy any more 2nd round picks. They got two last year and this year's second. That's it.

Something we have to remember is that if Mac had taken Mahomes or Watson in 2017 and thus not had to trade up in 2018, he could have taken good enough players with those picks (#6 and two second round picks) that the Jets could have won 7-8 games last season, and we might still be stuck with Mac, Bowles and Kacey Rodgers. It's probably unlikely that Mac would have taken good players with all three of those picks, and Bowles, Bates and Rodgers would have probably found a way to even screw that up, but it's not out of the question that they might have lucked into a better record, and we could still be stuck with those incompetent boobs. Sam is good enough that with Bowles, Bates, Rodgers and Mac all gone, I'm happy and wouldn't change a thing. Ironically, Mac's drafting Hack in 2016 may be the very thing that set us up for future success.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. I remember liking Hooker a lot as well.

I agree that we did things ass backwards but it's going to work out in the end. As a result of that and some other moves that have worked out for us, I think the Jets' luck has definitely changed for the good. Sam fell to us in the draft. Chris wasn't ready to fire Mac in January and the Eagles wouldn't let the Texans talk to Joe Douglas. Chris finally fires Mac in May, and the Eagles allow the Jets to talk to Douglas. I would also that drafting Hack in 2016 may have set all of this in motion. Because Mac love Hack, he wasn't going to draft a QB in 2017, but give Hack time, and if he didn't develop by 2018, he would take a QB in the 2018 draft. Because he wasn't look for a QB, the BPA was Adams, who was known as a great leader, which our D needed. Then because Hack was such a bust, he knew that he HAD to get a QB in 2018. He tried to sign Kirk Cousins, but he turned us down, so Mac knew that he needed to trade up in the draft. He did, Sam fell to us, and the rest will be history. This may all be a series of coincidences or a stretch, but I think it's entirely possible that all of these things were a result of fortune finally smiling on the Jets, and all stemmed from the drafting of one of the biggest busts in draft history.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think that Baker was the 'target' all along.

At least I hope he was...or Maccagnan was way off base.

20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member