Greg Williams Installing Attacking Defense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, May 31, 2019.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Offensive holding penalties are now the No. 1 penalty by far. Followed by false starts. Defensive holding is in decline. Illegal blocks below the waist are going up. Roughing the passer penalties are going up along with PI.

The NFL is trying to protect players. Aggressive play is being penalized at a high rate on both sides of the ball. Smart play and containment is being rewarded by reducing drive killing and drive extending penalties.

The game is all about managing field position not aggression.

TonyFtLaud and Red Menace like this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I love this too, but it's funny to think that the kind of season Jamaal Adams is going to have is predicated on a comment Gregg Williams allegedly made to him in February. I love the hyperbole.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If so why does he keep getting fired then? Is it that his shtick wears off, his current team realizes he has no strategy, and he finds a new team to temporarily buy into him?

Acad23 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cleveland (his last job) didn't fire him and they made a mistake not keeping him

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

They fired him; he was still under contract when they gave Kitchens the HC job. And I think they made the right choice. Their mid-season turnaround was entirely due to the offense, and that was Kitchens's doing.

6. BrowningNagle

they made a terrible choice. Time will tell.

kitchens is a high school coach with a team full of egos and criminals. its gonna be a zoo in Cleveland

rohirrim665 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

I’m sorry but your argument doesn’t make any sense to me. It is contradictory.

If you believe field position is paramount then you would want an aggressive press defense, not one that plays soft and allows the offense to control the ball and the field

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Field position football is a result of offense, defense and special teams. The object is to defend against TD's by forcing teams to drive a long field and keeping them out of the end zone when the field is to small to attack. They generally make a mistake. If you take care of business on special teams and O you win.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

that doesn't really answer my question at all, but thanks.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Aggressive press defenses that don't have corners who can single cover will give up TD from every position on the field. If we actually had press cover guys you have a good point. I haven't seen anything to indicate we do.

11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

In his press conference, Williams said something to the effect of “find the ball, see the ball, get the ball”.

The aggressiveness might be centered around creating turnovers, not selling out on every down like Rex did.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Exactly. It is 100% about trying to create turnovers. And in today’s NFL, turnovers are the number 1 factor

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Are you claiming that turnovers created by the D are more important than turnovers created by ball security, offensive mistakes, muffed punts, etc., etc., etc. It's not turnovers that matter it's turnover differential. I haven't seen anywhere that press coverage creates more turnovers than flooded zones and keeping the play in front of you.

Many turnovers in the NFL are the result of nothing more than bad ball security. Jax had the 2nd most INT's in the league and were 2nd in total takeaways last year. They were top 5 at plus 10. Chicago was at zero in differential, Houston was at -12, Dallas at -1.

Last year Balitimore, Jax, Detroit, Philadelphia and the Rams were 1-5 in total takeaways. Detroit and Jax sucked last year.

Putting a team in lots of 3rd and longs creates turnovers. It reduces their ability to get first downs. Maintaining containment on 1st down is a huge factor in creating 3rd and longs. Press coverage with mediocre CB's opens up easy yardage on 1st and 2nd down.

14. BrowningNagle

using differential as a stat in this discussion (defensive schemes) is useless because the offense has a large role in that figure

--

yes, putting teams in 3rd and longer gives you a better chance at creating turnovers. Using your corners to press the receivers at the line, instead of giving up 5-7 yards cushion, enables the defense to create more 3rd and longs

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Why do you think good QB's almost always throw to WR who are single covered? Completed pass, defensive holding, PI vs. great athletic INT or broken up pass. If I'm an NFL QB I would love to face press coverage especially against mediocre CB's. It's like stealing chunk yards.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sitting back and playing passively is the way teams lose. I have read statistics that said even the best CBs in the NFL can only cover WRs for 3-4 seconds. If you don't aggressively pressure the QB and force him to throw the ball earlier, any NFL QB can pick apart an NFL defense. One also needs to jam WRs and disrupt the timing on their routes, if not throw them off their routes altogether. When one combines pressing/jamming WRs at the LOS and pressuring QBs, is when one is most successful.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

That's a result of having personal mismatches not aggressive play.

18. We’re in 100% agreement..its a containment league.All the rules favor the offense..QBs are too good at getting rid of the football..its basketball on turf..kts no longer about 3 & outs..its FGs instead of TDs

The only thing ill say is GW isnt exclusively a press coverage DC..he’ll use zone/off man just as often.His aggressive nature comes out more w the front 7..esp w the DL attacking gaps..

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and Biggs like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

if QBs are really good at getting rid of the football, wouldn't you want to play press man to man to at least make that a little more difficult.

They are getting good at quick reads and strikes, so the answer is to just give them the 5-7 yard cushion pass every time? I totally disagree with that philosophy

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Well sure if you have great press corners..how many teams have that though? WRs are too big,fast & quick to press all game every game..and if you play physical like that youre gonna have PI/illegal contact penalties that keep drives alive